Your worst ever City game witnessed?

Re: Your worst ever City game witnessed? (merged)

isab23502 said:
Hell this makes me feel bad. I only go to a few games per year but have had the misfortune to attend:-
the 1-2 against Leicester (1986) when Robert Hopkins scored for us- first time I saw Whitey;
the 0-1 vs Port Vale - boxing day 1996 - god that was bad
the 0-3 v Leicester on my borthday 9 Nov 2003 - unbelievable :(((
the 3-3 v Burnley at home in 2009

I would add a few more horrors :-

0-0 v Liverpool last year
1-2 v Oldham in 1997 - I think they scored one off the back of Perry Suckling's head and Andy May got lots of grief (hang on - that was the Leicester game above)
2-3 v Chelsea in 1989 - what a disappointment at 0-3 down
0-1 v Wimbledon 1992 - train broke down, arrived at half time, no roof , rain, crap apart from Edghill
0-1 at Spurs 1994 - last time I saw Rick Holden thank God
Just posted earlier about that leicester match..if i can remember white was our best player that day, mine you it wasnt hard i guess!

Just checked the agg result v Lincoln, 4-1 Sincil Bank.. 0-1 Maine Rd.. 5-1.. must've been keen in them days to turn up for the 2nd leg.. there must ave' been a reason why we went.. prob, the same reason why pensioners buy a day ticket on the bus, cheaper than puttin' the heatin' on at home.. we never worried about fixture congestion then either, or Cup Schemes, one admission fee would cover the lot.. Y'could safely book a holiday in May knowin' y'wouldn't miss anythin.. feel sorry for the 'new breed'.. imagine gettin married on C.L. Final day.. Doh !

A lot of it was the embarrassment, and sadness as to how far we had fallen, plus I seem to remember fans of those lower league clubs used to take the piss out of us with no mercy, when your younger it matters a lot, nowadays I would just shrug it off but it hurt

Anyway what's with all the nostalgia?

Definitely agree with the Blackburn game in the Cup 06/07, I wasn't there but I remember kicking the crap out of the wall at home.

Rags at home, 09/10 and ginger bollocks' late winner. I was in 121 for that season and some Red twat was being dragged off by police after running on the pitch and I tried getting over the wall to him and got held back by security. Then the Spurs Champions League decider about 3 weeks later, fucking horrible feeling.

I also put the Arsenal home game from last season on par with Liverpool away, especially since we had the team to beat them and lacked bottle on the day.

THe 0-1 loss at home against Bolton under Pearce takes some beating. We were awful, and Fat Sam had them playing for a draw from kick off. Time wasting after 32 seconds, I kid you not. Thing is, we were so poor we couldn't even string two passes together, but Bolton were intent on hoofing it long and sting deep. A god awful game of football.

I didn't enjoy the time the scum beat is 5-0 either, but kind of expected to get beat against them... in the old days that is. The 8-1 against Middlesborough was just ridiculous, didn't feel serious or real. But sat there against Bolton watching shite vs shite... that felt al too real.

Seosa said:
Definitely agree with the Blackburn game in the Cup 06/07, I wasn't there but I remember kicking the crap out of the wall at home.

Rags at home, 09/10 and ginger bollocks' late winner. I was in 121 for that season and some Red twat was being dragged off by police after running on the pitch and I tried getting over the wall to him and got held back by security. Then the Spurs Champions League decider about 3 weeks later, fucking horrible feeling.

I also put the Arsenal home game from last season on par with Liverpool away, especially since we had the team to beat them and lacked bottle on the day.

I guess it's all relative but there is no way any of them can be worse than playing in the old 2nd division

Certain moments in that relegation season to the third Level stand out for me. The first was a Friday night Humiliation at Maine Road by then rock bottom Huddersfield, it was only 0-1 IIRC but they played us off the park, sure this was the night Barry Conlon got chanted at by the Kippax.

The next was the home loss to Bury prompting the infamous ripping up of the season ticket on the pitch and then the phone in after with David Makin.

Then the QPR game. Pollock own goal and the following thunderstorm at the end of the game. I was also at Stoke for that fateful final afternoon. But by then we knew it was over long before the final whistle.

But even up until the final few weeks I never seriously thought City would get relegated, I kept telling myself all would eventually be okay. But as the weeks went on we plunged to further depths.

However it was a late Dele Adebola winner for Birmingham City at Maine Road very late on in the season (think it was about four games left to go) that really pressed home to me just how desperate it had all become. When my Dad uttered the words I'd been dreading hearing - 'were gonna get bloody relegated you know'. He'd kept his council all season up till that point. Dark, dark days following City.

The Blackburn cup game was the culmination of a very depressing spell. I was bored of football in general, my youthful optimism was all but gone. We had fuck all to play for, no chance of ever challenging for the title and our record in cups suggested we'd never win anything. Stuck in mid-table was so fucking dull, I honestly wanted to go down so we'd have the fun of getting back up again.

That's how I imagine Everton and Villa fans probably feel at the moment and I won't forget it. For me it was worse than when we were down the divisions, at least down there we had something to play for. At the time of that cup game it all seemed so pointless. Expensive ticket prices for minimal entertainment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.