Your worst ever City game witnessed?

Re: Your worst ever City game witnessed? (merged)

FA Cup at Shrewsbury, Halifax. Remember both Stockport and Oldham drubbing us at home, its a never ending list. But it was character building.

Shrewsbury,Halifax,and loads more the 5-0 at the swamp,but our revenge was so sweet,happy days forever!

Without doubt Middlesbrough Away we lost 2-0 it was Paul Lake's last game for the club carried off after 7mins and Quinn was sent off within a minute of that. Worse night ever, the odd part was it completed a triple loss to Boro away of losing to the in the League Cup, FA Cup and League all within 10 months, to top it off they had been in the league below us for the 2 cup games too!!!
As many others have pointed out there are alot of porr games to pick from down the years, but to me what made that worse was the fact that you knew it was all over for Lakey that night and he wasn't coming back and we didn't have the money to replace him. All in all we knew long term that we would struggle and that we best youth player of that era at the club had kicked his last ball for us(interestingly he played upfront that night so it just goes to show how versatile he was as most think of him at the time as a future England CenterHalf).

DontLookBackInAnger said:
Without doubt Middlesbrough Away we lost 2-0 it was Paul Lake's last game for the club carried off after 7mins and Quinn was sent off within a minute of that. Worse night ever, the odd part was it completed a triple loss to Boro away of losing to the in the League Cup, FA Cup and League all within 10 months, to top it off they had been in the league below us for the 2 cup games too!!!
As many others have pointed out there are alot of porr games to pick from down the years, but to me what made that worse was the fact that you knew it was all over for Lakey that night and he wasn't coming back and we didn't have the money to replace him. All in all we knew long term that we would struggle and that we best youth player of that era at the club had kicked his last ball for us(interestingly he played upfront that night so it just goes to show how versatile he was as most think of him at the time as a future England CenterHalf).
Bernie fucking Slaven.

In terms of how gutted I felt afterwards, I'd have to say the semi final against United. Watching Rooney score that goal, in stoppage time, again, to take the dream of a cup final away was absolutely horrible. Then watching all those gloating rags, and them playing all those shit tunes at the end of the game and having to stand there and listen to it while waiting to be let out. Then when we did get let out, was surrounded by them signing anti-City songs and having to keep my head down. Not only that, but I don't think they were actually bothered about getting to the final, it was just knocking City out that they were bothered about.

However, apart from that, then Pearce's 06/07 season would probably be responsible for most of the worst games. He was terrible manager with players who were mediocre at best, apart from Barton, Dunne and Distin, maybe Mpenza as well.

There were 0-0 draws against Sheffield United and Watford, at home. That was bad enough.
But then there was a 0-3 defeat at home to Blackburn, where we were simply taken apart that day, diabolical stuff all round. The 1-0 defeat to United was possibly even worse. This was proof about just how bad that squad was. Usually when we played United at home, there would be a great atmosphere and the players would deliver a performance to match, even if we weren't in great form. That season, we had the scarves waving high, it looked great, only for us once again to be dreadful, and, to be honest, United weren't much better. Then we had Vassell's penalty miss which simply summed up everything that was wrong with that season.
The 1-0 defeat to Wigan that same season also deserved a mention. The goal scored by a player who had previously scored for Chesterfield to knock us out of the Carling Cup earlier in the season. The 1-0 defeat to Boro and the 2-1 defeat in the cup to West Ham also deserve a mention.

Two results under Hughes stick out as well. First there was the 2-1 defeat to West Brom a few days before Christmas. West Brom were having a dreadful season but of course we come along and they get a result. A defeat that put us in the relegation places. Only 3 months before that, we'd signed Robinho and that Al Fahim had been saying how we'd sign all the best players in the world and dominate world football, and then there we were in the relegation places with pretty much the entire league laughing at us.
Great though how two years after being in the bottom 3 on Christmas Day, we were playing Everton for the chance to go to top!

The other result from Hughes would be the 3-0 defeat to Notts Forest at home. Absolutely disgraceful. Not just beaten, but whooped at home by a team who were fighting to stay in the Championship. And to make it worse, apart from Robinho it was pretty much a full strength team that day!

As for Sven, apart from the 3-2 against Fulham there weren't really many that were really that bad. The worst Sven game I went to apart from the Fulham one was a 2-0 defeat away at Reading, as it reminded me of all the promise we'd had when Ireland scored that goal against them at Eastlands, and how it had all gone downhill and faded away.

The 8-1 defeat against Boro, while the worst performance I have seen, was not as bad as it could have been, due to it being at the end of the season with nothing to play for, and the fact that it was actually an okay day with all the dancing to Chelsea Dagger.

A 3-1 defeat to Birmingham and a 1-1 draw against a team (Derby) that got the lowest points total in Premier League history were poor as well, but I'm only trying to talk about games I actually went to.

Hard to say which one is definitely the worst. Probably either the United game in the CC or the 3-0 defeat to Blackburn or the 3-0 to Forest.

Bournemouth at home , we were 3-0 up ,at half time , and needed to win to clinch promotion , i got hammered at half time in the main stand , city came out 2nd half and we played like lemons , ian bishop had a blinder for them , and we were lucky to get away with 3-3 draw. Eventually we clinched promotion at Bradford the following week in the last ten minutes , with a trevor morley goal , no wonder ive lost all my hair.

45 years of gloryhunting said:
Bournemouth at home , we were 3-0 up ,at half time , and needed to win to clinch promotion , i got hammered at half time in the main stand , city came out 2nd half and we played like lemons , ian bishop had a blinder for them , and we were lucky to get away with 3-3 draw. Eventually we clinched promotion at Bradford the following week in the last ten minutes , with a trevor morley goal , no wonder ive lost all my hair.

Was in the Main stand that day against Bournemouth, and the celebration turned into the ever popular Swales out chants. Next thing fans started to run back into the ground jumping up and down as I think Leicester equalised in the last minute against Crystal Palace. Luther Blissett scored 7 mins into injury time....we never did like to do things the easy way.

Your worst ever City game witnessed? (merged)

Mansfield at home auto screen trophy got beat and the 3 and half thousand of us there were glad

The most boring game I've seen was the League Cup game against Norwich a few years ago. It was freezing, there was no atmosphere and I don't remember a shot on target until Samaras scored with 10 minutes to go. I only paid £10 and that felt like a rip off. The bad days in the lower divisions at least came with a siege/we're all in this together mentality.

Last home game against the rags in the dreadful 06/07 season. They beat us to clinch the title at our place which was particularly hard to take. First time they'd won it for a few years as well, the worst possible way to round off a dreadful season.

Also the Spurs one under Hughes which has had a lot of mentions already. That was the night that I knew for sure Hughes was definitely going. I also knew that night 100% that Adebayor and Robinho would never make it at City. I don't think I've ever seen anyone play with less commitment than those two did that night.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.