Zabaleta Out? Right back discussion {merged}

I'm really nervous about the prospect of Milner at RB. I understand the logic and it would certainly be the right thing to do in a video game, but the realities of playing as a defender versus a midfielder really concern me. There's just something very different about being the last line of defense and how you need to adapt your play. Plus you find yourself in very different areas of the pitch at times, doing very different things. Priorities shift....it's really just a very different position. I have no doubt he'd be good to great going forward, but it's really asking a lot out of a fine player to play out of position, particularly against Liverpool. Maybe we could get away with it versus Fulham.

teddykgb said:
I'm really nervous about the prospect of Milner at RB. I understand the logic and it would certainly be the right thing to do in a video game, but the realities of playing as a defender versus a midfielder really concern me. There's just something very different about being the last line of defense and how you need to adapt your play. Plus you find yourself in very different areas of the pitch at times, doing very different things. Priorities shift....it's really just a very different position. I have no doubt he'd be good to great going forward, but it's really asking a lot out of a fine player to play out of position, particularly against Liverpool. Maybe we could get away with it versus Fulham.

There is no other option until the transfer window opens. Boyata put in a very shaky performance against Leicester and none of our EDS right backs are ready for a first team call up.

For me the key question isn't "Who will make the best stand in right back?". Its "Which of our wide right midfield players will best be able to support a stand in right back?"

Whoever we play at right back is going to be targeted as our weak link. Perhaps Fulham might not be up to causing too many problems but Liverpool and Swansea will, assuming this isn't a one game problem. Its not an option to leave the stand in full back without support.

The best player to support a stand in right back is Milner, by a long, long way. Play Navas or Nasri in front of a stand in fullback and they simply have to sacrifice much of their attacking threat. They have to play much deeper. Play Milner there and, apart from being the best defender, he also has the engine to still get up and down the flanks. He can do the job without losing too much attacking threat.

It has to be Milner playing in front of Boyata for me.

Don't know how much truth in it, but I once read Clichy was right footed as a youngster but was advised his career opportunities would be better as a left footer and therefore trained himself to play left footed (not uncommon on the continent apparently). That being the case I would have thought Clichy would be fine at RB with Kolarov providing more of an attacking threat on the other side.

Why is no one willing to consider either Vinnie or Martin at RB, with the other partnering Joleon in the middle? Seems the glaringly obvious solution to me.

Why weaken to positions.

As for milner, I said 4 months ago that pelligrini may decide to turn milner into a rb due to his crossing ability and engine.

I personally think he'll make a fantastic rb after several games.

Milner could be a natural right back. Good positional sense, gets forward and likes a tackle - no brainer!

teddykgb said:
you do know zaba was a centre mid when he signed for city right?

Why is it that every time a player gets injured there is a tendency from some posters to immediately want to buy another player? We have a squad who can beat anyone on the day, who can slot in whenever necessary and every time one player goes down we have a replacement within the squad.

So, although you think we have a bottomless pit of money there comes a time when we should just keep calm and utilise the players we have rather than jumping on the transfer/buy bandwagon. What happens then when the injured player comes back? They get left on the sidelines and we end up with surplus players!! IMHO

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.