Zabaleta Out? Right back discussion {merged}

FantasyIreland said:
aguero93:20 said:
you'd have to go back a bit now, but someone was saying they'd be nervous about Milner at rb, I just pointed out that we converted zaba from centre mid, so I wouldn't be too worried. on another note, kolarov demichelis and vinnie all started their careers in midfield as well :D

I'm pretty certain youre wrong regarding at least Zaba and Komps,both were/are defenders first and foremost.

Anyway....Milner is by far the best option tomorrow.
vinnie might have played a few games at cb for Hamburg, but he was first and foremost a dm, zaba was a dm at San Lorenzo and espanyol, espanyol started moving him to the right wing cause of an injury crisis and then we moved him to right back. the strangest one by far though is that dzeko started out as a midfielder.<br /><br />-- Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:11 am --<br /><br />Milner the best option in the senior team fair enough and I've no problem with him playing there, but I would like to see one of the eds get some game time there v Fulham. we're sending out the wrong message otherwise.

Ballymagash Blue said:
Rammyblues said:
Not read the whole thread but if it hasn't been mentioned hasn't Clichy played there before in the past?
And no reason why he can't play there again. Despite our injuries, we have 5 of our first choice defenders fit, and maybe 6 if Nasty makes it. I expect the back four on Saturday to come from amongst those players

He's looked like a fish out of water when he's played there for us.

FantasyIreland said:
you'd have to go back a bit now, but someone was saying they'd be nervous about Milner at rb, I just pointed out that we converted zaba from centre mid, so I wouldn't be too worried. on another note, kolarov demichelis and vinnie all started their careers in midfield as well :D

I'm pretty certain youre wrong regarding at least Zaba and Komps,both were/are defenders first and foremost.

Anyway....Milner is by far the best option tomorrow.
vinnie might have played a few games at cb for Hamburg, but he was first and foremost a dm, zaba was a dm at San Lorenzo and espanyol, espanyol started moving him to the right wing cause of an injury crisis and then we moved him to right back. the strangest one by far though is that dzeko started out as a midfielder.

-- Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:11 am --

Milner the best option in the senior team fair enough and I've no problem with him playing there, but I would like to see one of the eds get some game time there v Fulham. we're sending out the wrong message otherwise.

Kompany started out as a centre back and predominantly played there for Anderlecht, he was used sparingly at hamburg as a defensive midfielder by jol, 29 appearances in 2 years because of injury, he is and always was a centre back, Mancini however made him the player he is today....

Zaba was bought as a right back, played over 30 games there for espanyol!!!<br /><br />-- Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:22 am --<br /><br />
ell said:
Both Zabaleta and Kompany were signed as defenders

Zab was

Clueless bought komp as a DM

Kompany started out as a centre back and predominantly played there for Anderlecht, he was used sparingly at hamburg as a defensive midfielder by jol, 29 appearances in 2 years because of injury, he is and always was a centre back, Mancini however made him the player he is today....

Zaba was bought as a right back, played over 30 games there for espanyol!!!

I don't think Mancini a lot to do with what made Kompany the player he is today. And yes, both Kompany and Zabaleta played at different positions, but at Anderlecht, Hamburg (Kompany) and Espanyol (Zabaleta) they had most of their games in the position we know they are best at.

As for replacing Zabaleta my choice would definitely be Milner. In fact I'm pretty sure Milner could be a revelation at RB and make life far more difficult for Zabaleta than Richards. But that's why I'm sitting home as a fan instead of managing the City-squad ...

eversince 76 said:

Zaba was bought as a right back, played over 30 games there for espanyol!!!

I don't think Mancini a lot to do with what made Kompany the player he is today. And yes, both Kompany and Zabaleta played at different positions, but at Anderlecht, Hamburg (Kompany) and Espanyol (Zabaleta) they had most of their games in the position we know they are best at.

As for replacing Zabaleta my choice would definitely be Milner. In fact I'm pretty sure Milner could be a revelation at RB and make life far more difficult for Zabaleta than Richards. But that's why I'm sitting home as a fan instead of managing the City-squad ...

So firstly you agree, the positions they are in are the natural ones?? Glad we established that as the way you write begs to differ...

Secondly, as defenders, Mancini and his coaching team deserve huge amounts of credit for both komps and zabas prominence in there respected positions, they were turned into world class performers under his régime, disregarding that is a disservice!

The only way we can maintain our attacking dynamic is by selecting Milner at RB. He's the only player who's defensively and offensively capable, while being intelligent enough to understand what Pellegrini wants from a full back. The only other option is to play Kolarov LB and Clichy RB. Not an ideal situation offensively, it'd disrupt the right side a lot but he would ensure that a defensively capable FB played at FB.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablo_Zabaleta" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablo_Zabaleta</a>
Club career[edit]

San Lorenzo[edit]

Born in Buenos Aires, Zabaleta was raised in Arrecifes, Argentina. He began his career at Club Atlético San Lorenzo de Almagro in 2002 after progressing through their youth ranks, having been signed at the age of 12 from local club Obras Sanitarias. He started playing as a defensive midfielder but eventually moved to the right side of midfield

Espanyol[edit]

Zabaleta was transferred to RCD Espanyol in 2005 for €3 million after being Argentina under-20's captain in the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship, which Argentina won.

In January 2007, he suffered a shoulder injury that kept him off the pitch for almost three months, already having established himself as an undisputed first team choice.
so, defensive/central midfielder-right winger-right back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.