Zabaleta Out? Right back discussion {merged}

SrilankanBlue said:
Great news if accurate!!

@MCFC now
PELLEGRINI: I think Pablo is not so big an injury. Maybe he will be back soon. Maybe a week or two, but the doctor will decide #mcfc

In not-so-great news, he also said Kolarov can play there tomorrow......Kolarov, at right back........

AlthamBlue said:
SrilankanBlue said:
Great news if accurate!!

@MCFC now
PELLEGRINI: I think Pablo is not so big an injury. Maybe he will be back soon. Maybe a week or two, but the doctor will decide #mcfc

In not-so-great news, he also said Kolarov can play there tomorrow......Kolarov, at right back........

Jesus...

@RobDawsonMEN 7m
Says he hasn't decided who will play at right-back but options are Clichy, Kolarov, Boyata and Milner.

SrilankanBlue said:
AlthamBlue said:
SrilankanBlue said:
Great news if accurate!!

@MCFC now

Jesus...

@RobDawsonMEN 7m
Says he hasn't decided who will play at right-back but options are Clichy, Kolarov, Boyata and Milner.

I'd rather we play Jesus there than Kolarov!

aguero93:20 said:
teddykgb said:
I'm really nervous about the prospect of Milner at RB. I understand the logic and it would certainly be the right thing to do in a video game, but the realities of playing as a defender versus a midfielder really concern me. There's just something very different about being the last line of defense and how you need to adapt your play. Plus you find yourself in very different areas of the pitch at times, doing very different things. Priorities shift....it's really just a very different position. I have no doubt he'd be good to great going forward, but it's really asking a lot out of a fine player to play out of position, particularly against Liverpool. Maybe we could get away with it versus Fulham.
you do know zaba was a centre mid when he signed for city right?

I'm not really sure how this is relevant, but OK. My point isn't that a player can never modify their position, of course they can and they have. But if we're talking about 2-4 matches over the next month, I think it is maybe too much to ask of Milner to adapt on the fly. With enough time, I'm completely competent that Milner could be a very good RB. But in the midst of the season I'd simply prefer to play a Clichy, Boyata, or EDS defender there over asking Milner to play as a fish out of water. With enough time and training this can all happen, but on short notice I'd personally prefer someone for whom defending is more natural, particularly against Liverpool. We are currently asking a lot of our defenders on a weekly basis due to how open our forward play has been. They'll be asking questions of our defenders and there will be a need for them to make decisions very quickly to contain the threats. It's obviously not ridiculous to suggest Milner at the position, it just wouldn't be my first choice.

teddykgb said:
teddykgb said:
I'm really nervous about the prospect of Milner at RB. I understand the logic and it would certainly be the right thing to do in a video game, but the realities of playing as a defender versus a midfielder really concern me. There's just something very different about being the last line of defense and how you need to adapt your play. Plus you find yourself in very different areas of the pitch at times, doing very different things. Priorities shift....it's really just a very different position. I have no doubt he'd be good to great going forward, but it's really asking a lot out of a fine player to play out of position, particularly against Liverpool. Maybe we could get away with it versus Fulham.

I'm not really sure how this is relevant, but OK. My point isn't that a player can never modify their position, of course they can and they have. But if we're talking about 2-4 matches over the next month, I think it is maybe too much to ask of Milner to adapt on the fly. With enough time, I'm completely competent that Milner could be a very good RB. But in the midst of the season I'd simply prefer to play a Clichy, Boyata, or EDS defender there over asking Milner to play as a fish out of water. With enough time and training this can all happen, but on short notice I'd personally prefer someone for whom defending is more natural, particularly against Liverpool. We are currently asking a lot of our defenders on a weekly basis due to how open our forward play has been. They'll be asking questions of our defenders and there will be a need for them to make decisions very quickly to contain the threats. It's obviously not ridiculous to suggest Milner at the position, it just wouldn't be my first choice.
neither mine, I'd go for eds, but its not exactly on the fly, he has played there before.

I'm not retorting to that, if he played centre half for Anderlecht then I got that wrong and hold my hands up. my point was (to the original post a few pages ago) not to be so worried about flexible players moving out of position, they change positions throughout their careers anyway. Jimmy has already proved he can play attacking midfield, left wing, right wing central midfield so I'm sure he can manage right back. I quoted the wiki-shit thing because I wasn't arsed translating an argie dialect of Spanish.

Kompany was purchased to replace DVB at Hamburg.

In future mate,when posting things as fact,make sure they are......;-)

FantasyIreland said:
I'm not retorting to that, if he played centre half for Anderlecht then I got that wrong and hold my hands up. my point was (to the original post a few pages ago) not to be so worried about flexible players moving out of position, they change positions throughout their careers anyway. Jimmy has already proved he can play attacking midfield, left wing, right wing central midfield so I'm sure he can manage right back. I quoted the wiki-shit thing because I wasn't arsed translating an argie dialect of Spanish.

Kompany was purchased to replace DVB at Hamburg.

In future mate,when posting things as fact,make sure they are......;-)
I know I forgot this is bm, where if you simply make a point that several players in our squad have changed position throughout their careers you get the Spanish inquisition at least I can admit I'm wrong, unlike some others.

teddykgb said:
teddykgb said:

No zabaleta was a right back when we signed him then he got paired with vk in midfield.

teddykgb said:
teddykgb said:

Agree with this; my view is that we play a genuine defender there, either Boyata or someone like Shay Facey, and plonk Milner in front of them on the right to make sure they have some cover.

Tough couple of games to be thrown in on though, particularly for the first time...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.