Yaya contract

This. Why pass up the opportunity to secure a great player in good form? If the price is right I'd offer him a 1 year extension in a heartbeat

Completed 92 out 95 passes today so, yet again, he was a busy productive boy. He's nearly always available for a pass and you can see him directing other players too. He's been a model of consistency since he returned to the team and I now think that we would be mad to let him go, especially to a rival, so the sooner we extend his contract, the better.

I thought he was brilliant yet again.

He controls a game of football like no other and he has given Merlin the space in which to operate again and be back to his best.

He is always available for the ball and he invariably always finds a pass, often a telling one at that.

On this form its a no brainer to offer him maybe even a 1 year rolling deal or at least 1 year on its own.

Would he stay if we offered him a reduced wage etc etc? I doubt it.
I would like to see him stay, even after all his shenanigans, he's been sweating like a chinaman in games. Definite effort being put in.

Exceptional since he returned. Looks fitter. He's lost a step but it doesn't seem to matter. Pep has set up a formation where when you see it on paper, looks crazy (by Toure just being in the only central midfielder) but the shape of the team makes it work without drawing any attention to his flaws.

Anyone wanting to keep Yaya just has to look at the transformation of our attacking play with three young, pacey, energetic and talented forwards and ask themselves why we can't be brave and try to change the midfield in a similar way.

Keeping three players of 31 and above in the most physically demanding area of the pitch is fucking crazy, when we have the chance to bring in someone like Weigl and give him time to slowly develop into the team (e.g. Sane). Fernandinho and Silva's careers are both coming to the end as well so we have to take a chance while we can to replace the older players one by one, otherwise we'll end up in another situation like we have with our fullbacks.

Ps... That isn't slagging Yaya off for any of the sensitive souls we have on this subject, it's about using his space to bring in younger talent to help us progress long term.

Anyone wanting to keep Yaya just has to look at the transformation of our attacking play with three young, pacey, energetic and talented forwards and ask themselves why we can't be brave and try to change the midfield in a similar way.

Keeping three players of 31 and above in the most physically demanding area of the pitch is fucking crazy, when we have the chance to bring in someone like Weigl and give him time to slowly develop into the team (e.g. Sane). Fernandinho and Silva's careers are both coming to the end as well so we have to take a chance while we can to replace the older players one by one, otherwise we'll end up in another situation like we have with our fullbacks.

Ps... That isn't slagging Yaya off for any of the sensitive souls we have on this subject, it's about using his space to bring in younger talent to help us progress long term.

I'd sooner keep Toure and go after someone like Weigl. Delph and Fernando are more expendable than Toure.

We should be transforming our midfield but there are other players that could go before Yaya, Delph and Nando for sure.

reduced terms - why would he & Seluk accept them? It's still Yaya & Seluk after all and they'd make a summer's worth of bad press about not getting what they want.
Got himself fit - he should never have been unfit in the first place, it's just unprofessional and as soon as he's not guaranteed his place again he'll give up.
he's still capable - yes, but he's still not a patch on what he was and still leaves us exposed defensively. I don't want a midfielder who's still capable, I want one who over 5 years will grow into the top level midfielder and help turn the team into something better.

and whilst Pep has final say he shouldn't on this, because it smells of him continuing to turn back to Yaya because he knows him and is Yaya, rather than moving on and being forced to pick a younger player and actually build our team for the next 5 years. Until the day comes when Pep turns to the bench and sees an established first-teamer and an A Garcia/Foden and picks the kid to come on, then we have to make the decision for him imo. He's not lived up to his side of the bargain on that this season and he simply has to, Yaya is just another obstacle particularly when nobody accepts he would be first choice and would actually get us closer to where Pep wants us to be, because fact is he is a temporary patch-up job and can't do the whole job a Pep CM needs to be able to do.

I don't want yet another half-arsed, past it over-paid first-teamer sitting on the bench when it should be a youngster Pep should be giving experience to. At Barca he wasn't given endless 30+ outfield players to sit on the bench, he was given a stellar first team and Barca B to choose from.

I concur with all of that.

The only thing I'd add into it is his sniping agent. I can't imagine negotiations for a new contract would be smooth sailing.

I posted yesterday that this current situation has been forced slightly. A fully fit Ilkay, a better disciplinary record for Fernandinho, and I don't think Yaya would be anywhere near the first 11.

What I will acknowledge is that he's responded well. He got fit when he had to and has taken his chance.

I'd still get rid, though. I'm hoping Alex may be ready.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.