2016/17 Home Kit Blue Shorts are back

....The home shirt there has grown on me, reminds me of some of the older ones but smarter. That navy shade (not too dark) and the white next to it make it still look like one of our shirts
The shirts we had in the late 80s/early 90s had a navy collar on them;
eng_pl_1989-91-MANCHESTER-CITY-SHIRT-M-24441_1.jpg

1227-2.jpg

The collars look black there, but I had the top one and it was definitely dark blue!

Last edited:

1227-2.jpg

The collars look black there, but I had the top one and it was definitely dark blue!

It worked with these shirts because they were smart and the rest of the kit was as it should be.

In 12/13, the blue was faded, the collar and sleeves were black & the fucking badge was black and white.
In 14/15 we had an all blue kit with navy collar and sleeves, it just didn't work, mostly because of the complete lack of white. The one occasion last season where we wore white shorts, away at CSKA, actually enhanced the kit but that was it.

And as for Higor Douglas suggesting black shorts, hang your head in shame!!

1227-2.jpg

Yeah these were the ones I had in mind. It'd be a nice change to that style as long as they don't fuck it up as @Seosa has pointed out - suppose they have to make the shirt different enough each season to drive sales. I still wouldn't have that red/burgundy (all red) away kit though - hopefully it's red and black stripes.

5% is essentially nobody when 95% vote for the alternative.

And as opposed to only people who started watching in 1994, if you followed the threads over the years, you'll see that people who started watching in 1934, 1954, 1964, 1984, and 2004 overwhelmingly prefer white shorts.

Also, you'll find that the vocal minority such as yourself who prefer blue shorts usually started watching in 1978-81, but fans who started watching in any other era prefer white.

It seems a bit precious to me that people would push for something that 95% of City fans don't want. Rather like the fans who loved the eagle who were extremely vocal in the badge thread despite it being abundantly clear that the overwhelming majority of genuine blues wanted a return to our traditional round badge.

Agree with you that the majority should be listened to in the main but the minority shouldn't keep quiet. We'd all be United fans if we were all sheep :P

It seems a bit precious to me that people would push for something that 95% of City fans don't want. Rather like the fans who loved the eagle who were extremely vocal in the badge thread despite it being abundantly clear that the overwhelming majority of genuine blues wanted a return to our traditional round badge.

What happened to freedom of speech?

In Nike's thinking, to sell a kit every fan, every year (each fan is a potential customer target) is that no fan will buy the same, identical kit year after year. So ever kit has to be changed each year to a degree.

Fan's thinking is that the kit should be one way and never messed with.

So, ifyou go for the fans wishes, then Nike suffers with their sale objective and jeopardise a bigger kit deal in the future. If you go with Nike's wishes the fans suffer. Yet fans moan they are are lacking behind with the top kit deals and deserve a better one, Nike wont do that if they have their hands tied behind their backs by the fans.

some will moan that United , Liverpool, Chelsea, Madrid, Barca etc etc dont have that problem and regain their iconic kits .... but that is because they are literally decades ahead of us of global success and history. City dont have that level of history as those teams have established already over the decades. Nike/Adidas/Puma cant use that as marketing trick to guarntee sales with City. Not yet at least.

So we have to either have a kit we want and not have a super mega kit deal, or have an increasing kit deal with changeable kits. That is our current situation.

In Nike's thinking, to sell a kit every fan, every year (each fan is a potential customer target) is that no fan will buy the same, identical kit year after year. So ever kit has to be changed each year to a degree.

Fan's thinking is that the kit should be one way and never messed with.

So, ifyou go for the fans wishes, then Nike suffers with their sale objective and jeopardise a bigger kit deal in the future. If you go with Nike's wishes the fans suffer. Yet fans moan they are are lacking behind with the top kit deals and deserve a better one, Nike wont do that if they have their hands tied behind their backs by the fans.

some will moan that United , Liverpool, Chelsea, Madrid, Barca etc etc dont have that problem and regain their iconic kits .... but that is because they are literally decades ahead of us of global success and history. City dont have that level of history as those teams have established already over the decades. Nike/Adidas/Puma cant use that as marketing trick to guarntee sales with City. Not yet at least.

So we have to either have a kit we want and not have a super mega kit deal, or have an increasing kit deal with changeable kits. That is our current situation.

I think I have to respectfully disagree wholeheartedly with that.

It is in the best interests of both Nike and City to create a strong global brand. Every time the kit has a major change to it, we take one step backwards to reaching that goal. By changing the kit drastically every year, they will arguably succeed in the increasing the kit sale in the short term, but in the long term they will be damaging the global branding.

Small changes are absolutely fine and I understand the need for them but the basic colors of our home kit should be decided and then stuck to.

We can't 'buy' good branding by changing our kit every year, we need to earn it by having a signature look and putting some success behind it. This works to the mutual benefit of both city and Nike

Third kit is class and will sell which is what our owners want.2nd kit just simply too much red.

some will moan that United , Liverpool, Chelsea, Madrid, Barca etc etc dont have that problem and regain their iconic kits .... but that is because they are literally decades ahead of us of global success and history.

Nonsense mate
Kit manufacturers fuck about with Barcelona's kit every season
This season they're playing in hoops and red shorts

Nonsense mate
Kit manufacturers fuck about with Barcelona's kit every season
This season they're playing in hoops and red shorts

I said once that Barca have played in halves, stripes, hoops, red and blue shorts etc. and all i got back was 'oh thats Barca, still identified as Barca'. I'm damned whatever i say it appears.

some are making this argument that the other teams have never been messed with.

Inter had a black shirt with pinstripes once, United had a red/white/white for European games one season, manufacturers change things to what they think will sell and make them money. They arent bothered if they need to mix things around.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.