Raheem Sterling - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sterling has proven his worth for a majority of the season. A lot of fans seem to either have very selective memories or have been clouded by the last couple of months where his performances have not been great probably as a result of how much he'd featured for the season but he has 10 goals and 20 assists for a reason. I know someone will say those masks his performances so for those who wants to see for their own eyes, I've compiled a list of key match highlights from all the champions league games that he has played in this season. I used the champions league as its a smaller sample size but you get a general idea of how important he has been and is to the side from these highlights of key events in the games. Outside of that monaco away game he's been pretty much involved in most of the teams best chances in all those games. You would find this to also be the case for most premier league games he's played this season but its the one or two times he wastes a good chance that will be remembered rather than the four or five times he created good chances for his teammates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD1vL8tfvcg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n6B1JjsJOs

My complaint about Sterling is that he's not consistently as good as he can be (I believe most would agree). Appreciate the effort you've gone too though. Nice one.

Stones would be harder to show highlights of as a defender should be doing it all the time (like Kompany does) Barr the odd screwup. How Pep bought into it too is beyond me. 50m was a joke. All that said as always I hope beyond hope that he improves greatly.

It's the manic over-hyping of an English player and the scale of the transfer that has Stones in the Sterling thread.

As I said, best player for us this season in parts.
Needs to consistently show that he's a good player and improve certain aspects of his game.

I don't think many will disagree with that assertion. I personally think he's been fairly consistent for the most part this season. He's had blips in form but even in those blips he will still put in MOTM performances here and there. The same point you make I will also direct to sane who I find to be even more inconsistent with his final ball and decision making than sterling and also has lots of aspects in his game he has to improve but both are looked at in totally separate views by some fans. Just to give you an idea, since that Arsenal game that sane played and scored in at the end of december, he's played a major role in 23 games with 9 goals and 6 assists. During that same period sterling has also played in 23 games with 5 goals and 12 assists. This is the period where many believe sterling has been poor and sane has come on his own yet sterling has directly played a hand in more goals than him.

(stats from transfermarkt)

My complaint about Sterling is that he's not consistently as good as he can be (I believe most would agree). Appreciate the effort you've gone too though. Nice one.

Stones would be harder to show highlights of as a defender should be doing it all the time (like Kompany does) Barr the odd screwup. How Pep bought into it too is beyond me. 50m was a joke. All that said as always I hope beyond hope that he improves greatly.

It's the manic over-hyping of an English player and the scale of the transfer that has Stones in the Sterling thread.

Besides Ronaldo and Messi very, very few players are consistent at 22. Most attackers especially wingers hit their peak of consistency around 26+ (see sanchez, robben) and only elite, special ones are consistent from an earlier age so it would be asking too much to expect consistently top performances throughout a whole season from sterling just like it would be for sane who is just a year younger.

As for stones, I would leave my opinion on him for his thread

Sterling has proven his worth for a majority of the season. A lot of fans seem to either have very selective memories or have been clouded by the last couple of months where his performances have not been great probably as a result of how much he'd featured for the season but he has 10 goals and 20 assists for a reason. I know someone will say those masks his performances so for those who wants to see for their own eyes, I've compiled a list of key match highlights from all the champions league games that he has played in this season. I used the champions league as its a smaller sample size but you get a general idea of how important he has been and is to the side from these highlights of key events in the games. Outside of that monaco away game he's been pretty much involved in most of the teams best chances in all those games. You would find this to also be the case for most premier league games he's played this season but its the one or two times he wastes a good chance that will be remembered rather than the four or five times he created good chances for his teammates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD1vL8tfvcg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n6B1JjsJOs

*insert slow hand clap gif here*

It's a brilliant post. The problem with some of our fans is they can't get over the fact we paid £50m for him. Sterling had better numbers than Sanchez did at his age, he's got better numbers than Willian, Pedro, Sane, Martial, Rashford, Mkhitaryan, Ozil etc.

At the same age Sanchez scored 12 league goals in 31 games and helped Udinese qualify for the Champions League.

Sterling biggest problem compared to Sane and Jesus is finishing.

According to whoscored:

Sterling: 56 apps - 3287 mins - 10 goals - 9 assists - 19 G + A
Sane: 41 apps - 2080 mins - 9 goals - 5 assists - 14 G + A
Jesus: 11 apps - 651 mins - 7 goals - 4 assists - 11 G + A

1000 less minutes for Sane and he's only 5 off G + A and about 2000+ less minutes and Jesus is off by 8 G + A. Jesus has been massive tho regardless of playing Sane-Jesus-Sterling or Sane-Aguero-Jesus he seems to be a difference maker.

In fairness to Sterling he was massive in the first half of the season, Sane started to bloom in the second half, as Jesus joined the team then too.

Really? Myself looking at Whoscored and Sterling has 14 assists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.