Rainbow laces campaign

That was obligatory, pretty much, I think. City as a club seemingly embrace the campaign, but it seems odd that the players didn’t wear the laces. Am genuinely intrigued why they didn’t. Did other clubs’ players largely wear them?
Ric i should imagine they wernt given any .I cant see the players ever lacing their own boots they will just see their kit ready and stick it on .thats my take on it any way

Not one City player wore the rainbow laces today.

I don't blame them tbh.

(Hear me out on this before I get slammed, and I voted in favour of gay marriage only last year in our elections, so bare that in mind if you think I'm being homophobic or such shite)

All of these players have boot deals. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the terms of those deals that they use the laces provided. Perhaps their sponsors didn't want their boots tinkered with. Perhaps we've a kit man with more important things to do than bug 22 players to ask each of them if they'd like their boots done up.

Anyways, if the premier league want to champions causes, perhaps they should consider whether it's a cause players want to get behind.

I'm not just talking about this campaign either, it's no different than the pink breast cancer campaign the NFL do. I'd be very skeptical about what actual good these type of things do tbh and it's virtue signalling at it's worst for me. If the premier league want to do something to combat any perceived issue, perhaps come down heavy on the newspapers who constantly run the "gay footballer" witch hunts.

You certainly seemed to imply that, unless I’m missing something?

I absolutely didn't mean to.

I just hope homophobia isn't behind their decision not to wear them because if it was it would be very disappointing.

As a slight digression; I find it disappointing that by publicly backing the Stonewall campaign our influential players could really make a difference and they actively chose not to. Which could suggest some kind of homophobia on a subconscious level at the very least.

All of these players have boot deals. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the terms of those deals that they use the laces provided. Perhaps their sponsors didn't want their boots tinkered with. Perhaps we've a kit man with more important things to do than bug 22 players to ask each of them if they'd like their boots done up.

I don’t buy that. No sponsor in their right mind would dictate that rainbow laces couldn’t be used, and equally it would’ve taken minimal effort for the kitman to lace up their boots with different laces. Not saying for a second that there’s a sinister reason for it, more likely complacency, but I still think it’s poor that none of our players wore them on “Rainbow Laces” weekend.

As a slight digression; I find it disappointing that by publicly backing the Stonewall campaign our influential players could really make a difference and they actively chose not to. Which could suggest some kind of homophobia on a subconscious level at the very least.

Again, saying they “actively” chose not to is a leap of judgement.

I think the lack of current players willing to come out, presumably because they fear being targeted by rival fans, shows that this is still a very real issue.

I think this is a double standard for people though.

Who's business is it really if a player is gay and who gives anyone the right to pressure them into becoming the champion of a cause?

Football is their profession. Their sexual preferences shouldn't come into it, much like any modern workplace.

There's an underlying "we need to know who" behind all of this. If there are players(which their undoubtedly are) who wish to focus on football and keep their private lives private, they should be respected for that, but I see a pressure there for these people to do something that has no impact on their on field performances so until someone chooses to make that a part of their public life, the approach from everyone shouldn't be a constant wondering of "why or when one will come out".

I don’t buy that. No sponsor in their right mind would dictate that rainbow laces couldn’t be used, and equally it would’ve taken minimal effort for the kitman to lace up their boots with different laces. Not saying for a second that there’s a sinister reason for it, more likely complacency, but I still think it’s poor that none of our players wore them on “Rainbow Laces” weekend.

Yeah but can you imagine say Sergio contacting his agent to ask his commercial agent to ask puma if he can wear them just to be sure, then waiting for a reply, and a kit man waiting for clearance to do it.... and then times that by every player? I just think it was a hassle they ultimately couldn't have been arsed about, and doubt it had anything to do with their feelings towards the cause tbh.

I think this is a double standard for people though.

Who's business is it really if a player is gay and who gives anyone the right to pressure them into becoming the champion of a cause?

Football is their profession. Their sexual preferences shouldn't come into it, much like any modern workplace.

There's an underlying "we need to know who" behind all of this. If there are players(which their undoubtedly are) who wish to focus on football and keep their private lives private, they should be respected for that, but I see a pressure there for these people to do something that has no impact on their on field performances so until someone chooses to make that a part of their public life, the approach from everyone shouldn't be a constant wondering of "why or when one will come out".

Yes, that’s a fair point and I can understand why many gay players decide to keep their private lives private. I’m sure there are some who would prefer to openly come out though, but feel they can’t.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.