What is Manchester to you?

I lived in Heywood until I was 18, then moved to Lincolnshire where I still live now; I never considered Heywood to be part of Manchester, it was always Lancashire to me, even though we were only a few miles away!

Since I moved down here, I always said I was from near Manchester, never actually from there, despite it sounding cooler to people if I was a proper Manc.

It annoys me that most people round here say they're from Peterborough, yet it's about 30 miles away, and is a pathetic excuse for a city!
You never considered Monkey town to be apart of MCR?

Hmm...

Heywood was built as a Manchester overspill, with a shit load of the Irish immigrants in town thrown onto Back of the Moss and Darn Hill.

Example My Dad was born in Heywood, with his mother and father being born in Manchester, descended from Irish immigrants.

So yea many of the original monkey towners were from big Irish families with Manchester ties.
Similarly with Langley estate in Middleton.

As for myself, well I was born in 1985, so having literally had the Internet most of my life I put it down to - Who's asking?

I'm not gonna say whilst in a conversation online to some dude in USA that I live in Tottington (where?)
As he'd have to Google the small village in Bury.
Same as during my travels around Asia, I just would say I'm from Manchester, as well most people have heard of the place and it simplifies things.

As for my identity, I associate more with being Mancunian due to historical family ties, places I've worked primarily being in Manchester.
I was born in Bury hospital, lived mostly in Bury areas, as well as Heywood, but Family and friends were mainly Mancunians themselves and where I live in Bury, most of the new build estates are full of people from all over Manchester areas and have moved into this side.
So I associate more with Manchester than say Bury (even though I've mostly lived in Bury)

But as I said earlier, it's a big bastard world out there so really what is the issue with a few miles in 2017?

Yea I'm a Manc, but so is Pablo Zabaleta. He even sounds more Mancunian than me haha.

Also, what is this whole fashion subject in this topic?
This style associated with Manchester is a joke.
I see Southern fairy teenagers who are big stone roses fans walking around with their Cockney accents, wearing bucket hats and walking around like monkeys with this fake Manchester stereotype.
It's embarrassing.

Same with Oasis fans, acting like Liam on coke.

Bring Mancunian isn't about what clothes you wear, what music you like or anything.

For me it's our humour, and our humbleness, the way we are approachable and speak with most people in the street.

Just don't get it in other big cities, well I've experienced it similarly in Glasgow.

Nowhere else.

Last edited:
i consider myself a stopfordian/ stockport lad from cheadle., greater manchester and cheshire, but with a lot of links to manchester through family, uni, friends, work. i can see why people from cheadle say there from manchester though. lots of people including myself have family from manchester, and where I'm from its literally down the road from places like didsbury, burnage and cheadle itself is right on the border. theres also an overspill estate in cheadle.

id say salford and stockport have the most in common to manchester, being so close and both have similar accents. all the smaller towns arent manchester and your arent mancunian if your from say rochdale, but there are a lot of similarities between the different towns.
I have lived within 2 milles of MCR city centre all my life, I live in Salford but I'm a Manchester lad and always will be.

Born in Hope Hospital, Eccles, In them days it was Manchester, now apparently its part of Salford. I'm a Mancunian.

Dad born in Moss Side, mum born in Whalley Range. I was born in Chorlton in the same bed that my dad died in.
Went to school in Whalley Range and Sharston. Worked first 8 years in city centre. Lived in Chorlton for 35 years (not just at the family home).
Manc through and through.
Love the place but always want to move away to some fantasy place by the sea.

My Dad was from Collyhurst, my Mum was from Crumpsall. They both ended up living on the same street in Newton Heath (backing onto Ten Acres).
I was born in Ancoats hospital (where my Mum worked) and they bought their first house in Hollinwood shortly after. When I was five we moved to Failsworth.
When I was 15 we moved to Toronto Canada. Been here for 38 years and I consider myself a Mancunian.

Was born in Withington Hospital on Nell Lane in the 60s. Spent first few months in Hulme and then grew up in Woodhouse Park, Wythenshawe. Lived in Hull, London and now Ansdell Lancashire. I am a Mancunian.

I have lived within 2 milles of MCR city centre all my life, I live in Salford but I'm a Manchester lad and always will be.

fair enough. tbf i know people from salford though who would never say they are mancs. the people from places like salford and stockport are very similar though to manchester imo. the accent in particular, theres subtle differences, but its very close, especially the closer to manchester.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.