Matthijs de Ligt

With Otamendi & Garcia being groomed, doesn't make much sporting or fiscal sense to go big for a player like De Ligt who would be a rotating player at best. Spending big money would be better served on targets like striker or pivot considering the market

Even in his “highlights” videos on YouTube he looks like he’s got the turning circle of a double decker bus, with the way we play and the high back line I just don’t see that fitting us at all.

Even in his “highlights” videos on YouTube he looks like he’s got the turning circle of a double decker bus, with the way we play and the high back line I just don’t see that fitting us at all.

He plays in a high line for Ajax & The Netherlands and had no trouble up against Leroy 1v1 in the Germany/Holland match a few months back.

Mbappe tried a few times in the France/Netherlands game to knock it past him and gas him, with no luck.

He's not slow at all, and if you can deal with Mbappé you're more than fast and agile enough. I think the fact he's 6'4'' and absolutely massive makes his speed deceptive.

Last edited:
Pep's never going to play 3 CB's every week and De Ligt isn't going to be a rotation or bench player when he becomes the most expensive CB in history, and there's no reason to bench Laporte or Stones so I don't see this ever happening.

Pep's never going to play 3 CB's every week and De Ligt isn't going to be a rotation or bench player when he becomes the most expensive CB in history, and there's no reason to bench Laporte or Stones so I don't see this ever happening.
Stones has been rotated quite often and Laporte not so much, there would be plenty of games for 3 centre backs if Otamendi goes, though it would probably leave us needing only one of Sandler and Garcia.

He also plays the left-side of a pairing, so not really a replacement for Vinny, more Otamendi.

So unless Pep has the idea (I would like) of three at the back at times of Stones, de Ligt and Laporte, it would be an extravagance.

De Ligt actually plays on the right of a pair 90% of the time. Paired with Van Dijk for Netherlands and Wober/Blind for Ajax.

Stones has been rotated quite often and Laporte not so much, there would be plenty of games for 3 centre backs if Otamendi goes, though it would probably leave us needing only one of Sandler and Garcia.

I don't see Pep relegating Stones to a back up role, which is what he'd be if we went all in on De Ligt. We're always going to need 4 CBs in the squad in case of injuries, and Stones would be relegated to Otamendi/Kompany levels of playing time - which we already know is too little because Nico wants out.

De Ligt actually plays on the right of a pair 90% of the time. Paired with Van Dijk for Netherlands and Wober/Blind for Ajax.

I don't see Pep relegating Stones to a back up role, which is what he'd be if we went all in on De Ligt.
Stones has played 24 games this season , Otamendi and Kompany 29 between them (some off the bench) so if De Ligt took most of those 29 and a bit of the load off LaPorte who has played almost every game it wouldn't effect Stones game time at all. Not to mention the flexibility to play 3 if we wanted.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.