Matthijs de Ligt

Stones has played 24 games this season , Otamendi and Kompany 29 between them (some off the bench) so if De Ligt took most of those 29 and a bit of the load off LaPorte who has played almost every game it wouldn't effect Stones game time at all. Not to mention the flexibility to play 3 if we wanted.

League starts, because starting against Burton and Oxford isn't going to make anyone happy -

Laporte 22/23
Stones 15/23
Otamendi 8/23
Kompany 6/23

If Pep drops £80m+ on De Ligt, which is what he's going to cost, he's not giving him Otamendi & Kompany's game time, he's going to start 80% of the time, like Laporte does.

You can't have 3 first choice CB's in a 2 CB system. You can't only have 3 CB's because then you've got no injury cover.

It just doesn't add up.

Our current group works pretty well, Kompany doesn't expect much because of his injuries and he could be replaced by a kid when he goes. Otamendi plays 3rd choice quite well, but obviously isn't happy getting so little gametime, so if he goes we need another 3rd choice - not another world record fee CB.

Last edited:
I could understand the De Jong imterest as we have no natural successor to ferdy comimg through, where we have in De Ligts position wirh Sandler being bought in for tharlt reason in the summer.

Maybe, we have another year out of Kompany in a supporting role and with stones and lapporte, I would trust in the 2 who played midweek to progress rather than spunk such a large amount imho.

League starts, because starting against Burton and Oxford isn't going to make anyone happy -

Laporte 22/23
Stones 15/23
Otamendi 8/23
Kompany 6/23

If Pep drops £80m+ on De Ligt, which is what he's going to cost, he's not giving him Otamendi & Kompany's game time, he's going to start 80% of the time, like Laporte does.

You can't have 3 first choice CB's in a 2 CB system. You can't only have 3 CB's because then you've got no injury cover.

It just doesn't add up.

Our current group works pretty well, Kompany doesn't expect much because of his injuries and he could be replaced by a kid when he goes. Otamendi plays 3rd choice quite well, but obviously isn't happy getting so little gametime, so if he goes we need another 3rd choice - not another world record fee CB.

You don't buy someone who is 3rd choice!!
You buy someone who is just as good as the current 2 who can push them and has just as much right to play as the other 2. You never settle on what you have. Signing this lad would be great for our defence, not a negative because the current 4 are all happy in this ranking system you have here.

I personally want us to sign a left back and a right back with obviously a Fernandinho replacement too this summer.

However, if we are going for De Ligts there must be a plan to this and he would be a great signing. We play 60/70 games a season. They will all get enough game time.

You don't buy someone who is 3rd choice!!
You buy someone who is just as good as the current 2 who can push them and has just as much right to play as the other 2. You never settle on what you have. Signing this lad would be great for our defence, not a negative because the current 4 are all happy in this ranking system you have here.

I personally want us to sign a left back and a right back with obviously a Fernandinho replacement too this summer.

However, if we are going for De Ligts there must be a plan to this and he would be a great signing. We play 60/70 games a season. They will all get enough game time.

We've bought plenty of players who are third choice - Danilo, Gundogan, Mahrez in the current squad alone. None of them have the same right to play as the people they back up because they're nowhere near as good.

So that entire sentiment is very obviously fictitious.

He plays in a high line for Ajax & The Netherlands and had no trouble up against Leroy 1v1 in the Germany/Holland match a few months back.

Mbappe tried a few times in the France/Netherlands game to knock it past him and gas him, with no luck.

He's not slow at all, and if you can deal with Mbappé you're more than fast and agile enough. I think the fact he's 6'4'' and absolutely massive makes his speed deceptive.
Nah, I’m not buying it. Just from the 7 minute video I’m saying he’s Harry Maguire mk2, clearly very good but never going to make it at the really top European clubs (e.g. us, Barca, Real, Bayern).

Nah, I’m not buying it. Just from the 7 minute video I’m saying he’s Harry Maguire mk2, clearly very good but never going to make it at the really top European clubs (e.g. us, Barca, Real, Bayern).

Well everyone involved at those really top European clubs is desperate to make him the most expensive CB in history so obviously either every scout and DoF at an elite club is wrong, or you & your 7 minute YouTube video is.

Well everyone involved at those really top European clubs is desperate to make him the most expensive CB in history so obviously either every scout and DoF at an elite club is wrong, or you & your 7 minute YouTube video is.
Come on it’s clearly tongue in cheek, hence the YouTube reference.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.