Has the Full Back Problem returned?

Let's spend another £130m on full backs then because we lost to Newcastle. It didn't seem to cause us an issue last year.

Not sure why the full backs are being singled out after last night. The entire team had a stinker.

I think there is a mental issue, which involves complacency and is reminiscent at times of 16/17 season, but we have the best team in the country. They collectively need to step up again and demonstrate that between now and the end of the season.
Doesn`t matter if they were good last year if they`re not good enough this year. Didn`t say that we had to spend 130m either. Would like to have Walker/Danilo as RBs and buy a left back that can challenge Mendy

It looked okay last season. Walker was great aside from the odd brain fart and Delph was a revelation at left back. This season for whatever reason both of their form has dipped alarmingly. Mendy is always injured so yes we need two new full backs in my opinion. The left back probably good cover for Mendy if he ever stays fit and the right back a replacement for Walker, who can then be cover.

The+satisfied+grin+you+give+yourself+when+you+find+out+_c948597b10a8c40411f11364724de4ca.jpg

You just know he's sitting in Rome reading this thread.

i would stick with Walker, i'd only change RB by testing a young/very cheap one. Walker has the yips, a very bad case of it. He might just need a decent break.

LB is odd, i've never been comfortable with Mendy but he is certainly a good footballer but the back up - Zinchenko and Delph - seems to be disintegrating. Would be happy with 2 youthful dedicated full backs, prepared to learn for a season or two and stick with Mendy, Walker and Danilo as the main ones, assuming some form returns.

is it coincidence that we have 5 out of form or injured full backs? perhaps not

Possibly because they are literally the most important part of Pep's system. When they have an off day, the entire system, team and therefore results suffer.
So if we had someone else playing left back we'd have won last night?

The fullbacks are an important aspect of the system, but the system failed us last night and the subs made things worse rather than better.

If the system as a whole fails, then the defence are exposed and "can be got at".

We could have played for another few hours after their equaliser and not scored another. We should have put the game to bed and in the first hour had the chances to do so. As time went on we looked less like scoring.

When it fails, it's a bigger problem than individuals.

I do think walker is suffering big time from having pretty much no time off in the summer. He looks completely burnt out and his head just doesn’t look in it. Give him a full summer break and hopefully he regains the form of last season.

Hard to disagree. Kyle walker is a great athlete. Not a great footballer. Mendy is a great crosser. Not a great defender. Danilo is an all rounder but hes all round very average. Zinchenko is not a fullback. Delph is not a fullback. We still need 2 quality all round fullbacks. We do not have them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.