Holidays

Prices in Greece have climbed steadily for many years now, as they did in Spain before it. Turkey is on the increase too now .... and I don't mean just in line with inflation. They all get greedy and start to fleece the tourist more. Croatia will do the same too eventually.

But we still go abroad, as there are some lovely places to see. Favourites are Dalyan, Paxos, Symi, Kefalonia (though not been since 1996 ... heard it's changed a great deal ... the once totally empty Xi beach on Lixouri peninsula, is now lined with hotels I have heard) Parga, Kayakoy .... local tavernas are still good value in those places if you look for them, and avoid the tourist traps. Lindos in Rhodes is one of the few places where every place is top dollar we go to.

Then again, if we could guarantee the weather, Devon and Cornwall would be our destination of choice. Nowhere more beautiful when the sun is shining. In Cornwall right now, our second week, and weather a mixed bag so far, some great sunny days, and a few terrible. (Today being one of them) .... Still love it though and would move here in a heartbeat if we could.

Thanks for the replies

I was pissed off a bit last night. The ouzo had given me bad heartburn plus the restaurant we went, whilst it was lovely the bill for 2 of us came in at €157.

Ok, 2 bottles of red, 6 cocktails and 3 courses each did not help that but still...
ouzo with water does not give me heartburn, unlike Mythos.

Went last year.

In a restaurant in Dubrovnik my wife lost a third of a finger. Trapped it in a chair. Could not be saved.

In Croatia no insurance is required for such accidents. Travel insurance does not cover digits. It has to be a limb. Full hand or foot etc

That’s awful.

That’s awful.

Yes it was and is. Knocked my wife's confidence a little. But she a fighter so she ok now.

Sounds nothing much but I guess to a woman (sorry if sexist) it different.

One plus, next year is our 25th anniversary. She wanted a nice diamond ring which would have gone on that finger. Now she not so sure.

Went last year.

In a restaurant in Dubrovnik my wife lost a third of a finger. Trapped it in a chair. Could not be saved.

In Croatia no insurance is required for such accidents. Travel insurance does not cover digits. It has to be a limb. Full hand or foot etc

Crumbs.

What with that and the expensive restaurant/bar bill last night, maybe you really should stay at home.

Prices in Greece have climbed steadily for many years now, as they did in Spain before it. Turkey is on the increase too now .... and I don't mean just in line with inflation. They all get greedy and start to fleece the tourist more. Croatia will do the same too eventually.

But we still go abroad, as there are some lovely places to see. Favourites are Dalyan, Paxos, Symi, Kefalonia (though not been since 1996 ... heard it's changed a great deal ... the once totally empty Xi beach on Lixouri peninsula, is now lined with hotels I have heard) Parga, Kayakoy .... local tavernas are still good value in those places if you look for them, and avoid the tourist traps. Lindos in Rhodes is one of the few places where every place is top dollar we go to.

Then again, if we could guarantee the weather, Devon and Cornwall would be our destination of choice. Nowhere more beautiful when the sun is shining. In Cornwall right now, our second week, and weather a mixed bag so far, some great sunny days, and a few terrible. (Today being one of them) .... Still love it though and would move here in a heartbeat if we could.

Plus 1 for Parga in Greece.Not too pricey, superb restaurants, great beaches and not too many brits go there which is a good thing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.