Var debate 2019/20

Over 24hrs since the disappointment of yesterdays VAR/hand ball decision when we all thought we'd won the game. And after reading a lot on here and in various media and listening to numerous pundits it's clear the recent handball rule change has gone too far and VAR's trouble is with those managing it.

I have no problem with the decision on the handball as that's the rule (poor as it is now), I have no problem VAR checking and advising the ref of the infringement.
But the very same person made a decision on the first half penalty offence that we didn't get.

At the last count every newspaper report on the game, every pundit that's seen it and commented and two former referees have said that it was a penalty. Either the VAR operator yesterday got it terribly wrong or was down right incompetent. I don't see this changing, with penalty's it's still down to someone to make the decision exactly like the ref on the pitch, unlike an offside or hand ball when pictures and computer graphics don't lie.

One thing that has occurred is we are likely to suffer more than any other team, simply because of the way we play, we score more, we attack more and we are faster. All the area's were VAR checks the most, there must have been over 15 VAR checks on us in our 1st two league games this season, I bet that's more than any other team.

VAR is here to stay, it will probably get worse before it gets better and settles down, but it's likely to have changed the game we love immeasurably and driven some fans away. I liked it the old way, you win some you lose some.

@DeBruyneKev on the disallowed goal in #MCITOT: “What can he do? Should he chop his arm off and play without? They made this rule, it’s new, but when I saw the video, it’s impossible to take his arm away.

“There’s nothing he can do because Nicolas Otamendi is in front of him by 10cm and trying to head the ball. You can’t react in that space and amount of time. Make it clear - handball both sides.”

if someone can tell me how to do it from My Pictures onto here then I`ll gladly send it.

@DeBruyneKev on the disallowed goal in #MCITOT: “What can he do? Should he chop his arm off and play without? They made this rule, it’s new, but when I saw the video, it’s impossible to take his arm away.

“There’s nothing he can do because Nicolas Otamendi is in front of him by 10cm and trying to head the ball. You can’t react in that space and amount of time. Make it clear - handball both sides.”

I think Linekar said "the law is an ass" but an ass is interpreting and manipulating the interpretation

I was never a big fan of VAR after speaking to a couple of german football fans at the Lisbon Derby who stated it has ruined there match day experience but seems to please those watching at home.

For all the problems it has created and the emotion it has ripped out of goalscoring celebrations you would at least anticipate that the likelihood is the correct end result would be reached. On saturday in my view it prevented this and only added another layer of inconsistency. It cannot be right when its picking up slight touches of the hand but ignoring clear and obvious penalties.

DeBruyneKev: "I was told after the game that if it had hit a Tottenham arm it wouldn't have been our penalty. So I don't understand it at all. I think it should be debated. I'm old fashioned. I'm not the biggest pro-VAR..."

"I think if you want to make football better you should be able to understand it. We knew the goal was being reviewed, because every goal is reviewed - but I didn't know why and Tottenham didn't know either."

We appear to be the big losers so far with VAR but that may well even out.
Who knows? VAR might just help us win the Champions League this season.

Despite this I HATE it.
The definition of a goal has been changed so it is no longer possible to detect a goal with the naked eye.
All you can see is what might be a goal subject to forensic examination failing to find anything wrong with it.

Not a good basis for a spectator sport.

Can’t we just start booing whilst waiting for VAR, or just turn our back to it till it’s over.
It messed with UEFAs head so it all helps.
Not just City btw

Over 24hrs since the disappointment of yesterdays VAR/hand ball decision when we all thought we'd won the game. And after reading a lot on here and in various media and listening to numerous pundits it's clear the recent handball rule change has gone too far and VAR's trouble is with those managing it.

I have no problem with the decision on the handball as that's the rule (poor as it is now), I have no problem VAR checking and advising the ref of the infringement.
But the very same person made a decision on the first half penalty offence that we didn't get.

At the last count every newspaper report on the game, every pundit that's seen it and commented and two former referees have said that it was a penalty. Either the VAR operator yesterday got it terribly wrong or was down right incompetent. I don't see this changing, with penalty's it's still down to someone to make the decision exactly like the ref on the pitch, unlike an offside or hand ball when pictures and computer graphics don't lie.

One thing that has occurred is we are likely to suffer more than any other team, simply because of the way we play, we score more, we attack more and we are faster. All the area's were VAR checks the most, there must have been over 15 VAR checks on us in our 1st two league games this season, I bet that's more than any other team.

VAR is here to stay, it will probably get worse before it gets better and settles down, but it's likely to have changed the game we love immeasurably and driven some fans away. I liked it the old way, you win some you lose some.
I too haven't got an issue with our disallowed goal Its the "clear and obvious " I have issue with and the confusion around Oliver not thinking/awarding a clear penalty , so why is VAR not interfering with the refs decision ? If VAR know hes made a mistake by not awarding a penalty why didn't VAR inform him hes made a mistake ? yet they inform him they've seen a handball when he initially along with all 22 players didn't see anything wrong with Jesus goal

We appear to be the big losers so far with VAR but that may well even out.
Who knows? VAR might just help us win the Champions League this season.

Despite this I HATE it.
The definition of a goal has been changed so it is no longer possible to detect a goal with the naked eye.
All you can see is what might be a goal subject to forensic examination failing to find anything wrong with it.

Not a good basis for a spectator sport.

There will be no winners with VAR mate regardless of whether we get the decision in our favour or not. Its a destruction of the unbridled joy of seeing a goal and getting lost in the moment. I would rather have incorrect decisions made by a human being on the field of play rather than have VAR destroy the emotion of every goal going forward.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.