Var debate 2019/20

by the laws of the game it's irrelevant whether the ball hit Laportes arm

HANDLING THE BALL

It is an offence if a player:
  • deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball
  • gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:
    • scores in the opponents’ goal
    • creates a goal-scoring opportunity
  • scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper
He never had possession, hence irrelevant, goal should have stood

It's this deliberately murky bit that can be hidden behind. Creating a goal-scoring opportunity for whom? I would always read that it is a gso for the person whose arm the ball inadvertently brushed against, but now it's been given that Laporte gave Jesus an opportunity it can be dragged back to God knows what incident. I think they have looked for anything iffy whilst the ball was bobbling around and found Laporte loitering with intent. I would bet the cheating bastards would redefine that bit when it comes to a Rag or Dipper arm.

Strong words from Garth Crooks tucked at the end of his team of the week analysis

Tottenham's Erik Lamela practically assaulted Manchester City's Rodri in the box and VAR said nothing. Why? If Referee Michael Oliver did not see it then it was a clear and obvious error and VAR should have brought it to the referee's attention. So no help there.

Did this technological 'know it all' not see what everyone else saw or did this scientific genius go for a comfort break? Of course not. VAR is a spoiler. It seeks and searches for error. He's a show off! VAR comes into its own when it can combine the evidence with the facts. "Don't blame me!" it shouts. "I'm just giving you the facts and attaching them to the evidence and the laws of the game."

Meanwhile, the game has developed a virus but football doesn't know it yet and it's in danger of affecting the whole game. VAR's decision to disallow Gabriel Jesus' injury-time goal based on the new law, introduced this season, regarding handball, was nothing short of laughable. The law is an ass but more worryingly the game is in danger of becoming a joke.
Also Danny Murphy, and Tim Cahill spoke well on MOTD2 last night.

Only a matter of time before you are going to get fans protesting. Banners, tennis balls, people walking onto the pitch.

If it happens again, I'd be in favour of going on the pitch and getting the game abandoned. Fans have been ignored in VAR and my head has been wrecked twice now by celebrating last minute winners only to see it ruled out. The football authorities did not consider fans at all.

It's this deliberately murky bit that can be hidden behind. Creating a goal-scoring opportunity for whom? I would always read that it is a gso for the person whose arm the ball inadvertently brushed against, but now it's been given that Laporte gave Jesus an opportunity it can be dragged back to God knows what incident. I think they have looked for anything iffy whilst the ball was bobbling around and found Laporte loitering with intent. I would bet the cheating bastards would redefine that bit when it comes to a Rag or Dipper arm.
But it says after it hits a players arm and “gains possession of the ball and then creates a goal scoring opportunity”

Laporte did not gain possession of the ball and then create a gso, the ball hit his arm and went straight to Jesus. At no point did Laporte gain possession of the ball.

Strong words from Garth Crooks tucked at the end of his team of the week analysis

Tottenham's Erik Lamela practically assaulted Manchester City's Rodri in the box and VAR said nothing. Why? If Referee Michael Oliver did not see it then it was a clear and obvious error and VAR should have brought it to the referee's attention. So no help there.

Did this technological 'know it all' not see what everyone else saw or did this scientific genius go for a comfort break? Of course not. VAR is a spoiler. It seeks and searches for error. He's a show off! VAR comes into its own when it can combine the evidence with the facts. "Don't blame me!" it shouts. "I'm just giving you the facts and attaching them to the evidence and the laws of the game."

Meanwhile, the game has developed a virus but football doesn't know it yet and it's in danger of affecting the whole game. VAR's decision to disallow Gabriel Jesus' injury-time goal based on the new law, introduced this season, regarding handball, was nothing short of laughable. The law is an ass but more worryingly the game is in danger of becoming a joke.
Wow,ex Spurs & ex rag Crooks on (I was going to post 'our side') the money. All these other teams fans taking the piss ....well if it's consistent they're in for some big downers, if it's not then I'm done at the end of the season

But it says after it hits a players arm and “gains possession of the ball and then creates a goal scoring opportunity”

Laporte did not gain possession of the ball and then create a gso, the ball hit his arm and went straight to Jesus. At no point did Laporte gain possession of the ball.

But it's left distinctly vague. Were it to say "Creates a goal scoring opportunity FOR HIMSELF' then chalking off the goal would be blatant cheating, but as it stands it is unclear as to whom the gso has been created. I think the drafting of that bit has been left on the foggy side of things quite deliberately so that the VAR shed wallahs and PiGMOL can pick and choose, as they have - they chose us. i expect, now the game has concluded and we have been awarded one point and Jesus one goal less in his quest for the Golden Boot, for PiGMOL to come out and clarify, just in time for a Rag or Dipper to benefit with a winning goal scored in identical circumstances to ours on Saturday. Remember the game of Ottamendi's pen? Uefa said after the game ended and there was more than just consternation at the contrived decision to award the penalty that they would review the handball law within the week. They sorted it but waited until PSG had conceded a penalty in similar circumstances. Now who was that against?

Some posters still can`t get their head around this sam.
I’ve posted this before, Swarbrick and Taylor were demonstrating the VAR application on Sky before the season started. They stated they wouldn’t re referee decisions unless it was a “clear and obvious mistake” they would also not have replays in slow motion so the VAR ref could empathise with the on field ref. Oliver was three yards away from the incident on Saturday, he didn’t see anything, the Spurs players didn’t appeal and there was no inkling at all from anyone that the ball had “brushed” Eric’s shoulder. The VAR refs have gone against everything they said they weren’t going to do, bent fuckers in my opinion and if that was at Candlefield or Old Toilet no way was a goal getting chalked off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.