Var debate 2019/20

I'm not too sure there, it looks like you can still see all of Mane's boot and the slight bit of contact is in the back of his shin. He may have had his foot stood on slightly but he then carried on before throwing himself over which is what my argument is, he could be should have carried on as he still had control of the ball but his first option is to go over unnecessarily. That was possibly a penalty and possibly a dive but VAR gives it as the player fell over, he didn't fall over because of the contact he fell over because he decided to, the same with Mahrez. That's where VAR isn't working, it's making sure that players have to go over to get a decision but if you play on, like Silva did then you won't get it. This disproportionately rewards teams who have made diving part of their playing style (like Liverpool have under your last two managers).

I mean, we've had 4 penalties this season. The same number as Man City and Leicester. I don't really see how we are being disproportionately rewarded for diving?

United, on the other hand, have 9 already.

Why is it always a dive when it is a Liverpool player? It's pretty clear that Lovren was pushed. I'm finding that it's impossible to have rational debates in this thread, so I'm out, lol.

On that one, I don't recall the goal.

It struck me that Lovren might have got a push while running towards an incoming corner, and then made a fair amount of it.
Fouls happen regularly at corners (again, there's the references to Oliver ignoring Lamela hanging on Rodri's neck), and I didn't think Lovren was that close to the ball, but it was given. It's a while ago now, and he may have been closer than I remember.

Consistency again.

On that one, I don't recall the goal.

It struck me that Lovren might have got a push while running towards an incoming corner, and then made a fair amount of it.
Fouls happen regularly at corners (again, there's the references to Oliver ignoring Lamela hanging on Rodri's neck), and I didn't think Lovren was that close to the ball, but it was given. It's a while ago now, and he may have been closer than I remember.

Consistency again.

You're right, it is inconsistent, but that applies to us as well. Matip was fouled during a corner against Newcastle and nothing was given. Salah has been put in a headlock more than once in the box, nothing. Here's an image of Firmino clearly being fouled in the box too, but nothing:

https://images.ladbible.com/thumbna...4599ce25a68f08dd2fb7.png&quality=70&width=720

I mean, we've had 4 penalties this season. The same number as Man City and Leicester. I don't really see how we are being disproportionately rewarded for diving?

PL trying to ensure they stay relevant - different case study .

I don't think Liverpool have been diving this season that much. I think that's not the best thing to focus on, and it distorts the general picture. Someone on here described the season as the league was being 'managed' by the refs - it's not just the number of penalties given.

Utd's penalty count is ludicrous, but as they have no way of scoring against organised defence, they need all the help Riley can give them!

You're right, it is inconsistent, but that applies to us as well. Matip was fouled during a corner against Newcastle and nothing was given. Salah has been put in a headlock more than once in the box, nothing. Here's an image of Firmino clearly being fouled in the box too, but nothing:

https://images.ladbible.com/thumbna...4599ce25a68f08dd2fb7.png&quality=70&width=720

And then there was Cahill getting away with a headlock for Palace (vs Watford ?).

There should be no excuse or hiding from incompetence when you have VAR, and every club's fans should be hammering at the PL about it.

Because dives don't necessarily equate to penalties, if a player loses the ball then they can throw themselves over arms aloft with a nice scream to get the referees attention, if it isn't in the box then it isn't a penalty, just a free kick and regaining of the ball. Are you seriously saying that Mane, Salah, Firmino, Fabinho, TAA, Robertson, Lovren, et al don't go over easily in the hope of gaining an advantage? Even in some cases when they'd have been better off carrying on playing? You can say all teams do that to some extent (which they do, we have Mahrez and Otanendi for example) but Liverpool have made it an art and have overtaken the Arsenal team containing Pires, Fabregas and Van Persie who were the worst for it in this country until last season.

Last edited:

They should have crumpled like Lovren, they may have got the decision then, whether any other team would have is a different question! ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.