Running thread

Yes, I'm missing Park Run but saw a few running nearby so hooked up on Strava. I suspect Park Run (given the proximity to people and exertion) will be some way off.

Been running now each of the past 17 mornings. 8k now the norm but did 10k Monday. My feet hurt. My knee hurt. My hips hurt. My back hurts.

I'm also eating less and no rubbish.

A mysterious 1kg seems to drop off and back on every second day. And I am supposed to lose 18 of them ffs.

This getting fit is a pain in the ass, back, hips, knees and feet I tell ya. But I'm enjoying it none the less. :-)
If you’re running to lose fat you’re better of doing sprint sets rather than running distances.

Go to a space that’s got a long straight area you can run in. Start off with sets of 10 second sprints, do as many as you need so that the last sprint is really difficult. Then start to up the times over a period of weeks: 15 second sprints, 20 seconds and eventually 30 seconds.

Have 2-3 minutes rests between sprints.

You’ll shred the fat miles more efficiently than running distances at a long distance pace, even if you find the longer distances hard, they’re nowhere near as good as sprint training for fat loss.

If your feet and joints hurt, ten thousand metres (especially on roads) is doing that no good neither. Sprints sessions (especially on grass) will be much kinder to your joints as you won’t be putting your feet and joints under 30-40 minutes of continuous impact of a 10k.

Fifteen lots of thirty seconds of sprinting is only 7 ½ minutes’ work but you’ll have worked harder in those 7 ½ minutes than on an 7.5k run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been running now each of the past 17 mornings. 8k now the norm but did 10k Monday. My feet hurt. My knee hurt. My hips hurt. My back hurts.

I'm also eating less and no rubbish.

A mysterious 1kg seems to drop off and back on every second day. And I am supposed to lose 18 of them ffs.

This getting fit is a pain in the ass, back, hips, knees and feet I tell ya. But I'm enjoying it none the less. :-)

Have a rest day or 2. Let your body recover and go again with a bit more intensity. Rest is as important as the training itself, especially as it sounds like your body is telling you it need a rest, listen to it.

Went for 10 miles last week. Hated it, not got the get go for the longer runs at the moment.

Starting a speed plan to get back to sub 20 5km again. Was at 21 last month but suspect I’ve gained a couple of minutes with not getting out running as much.

I miss parkrun ahha

If you’re running to lose fat you’re better of doing sprint sets rather than running distances.

Go to a space that’s got a long straight area you can run in. Start off with sets of 10 second sprints, do as many as you need so that the last sprint is really difficult. Then start to up the times over a period of weeks: 15 second sprints, 20 seconds and eventually 30 seconds.

Have 2-3 minutes rests between sprints.

You’ll shred the fat miles more efficiently than running distances at a long distance pace, even if you find the longer distances hard, they’re nowhere near as good as sprint training for fat loss.

If your feet and joints hurt, ten thousand metres (especially on roads) is doing that no good neither. Sprints sessions (especially on grass) will be much kinder to your joints as you won’t be putting your feet and joints under 30-40 minutes of continuous impact of a 10k.

Fifteen lots of thirty seconds of sprinting is only 7 ½ minutes’ work but you’ll have worked harder in those 7 ½ minutes than on an 7.5k run.
Thanks sir. I will give that a go soon. :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.