Running thread

If you enjoy the 8-10k runs though and still want to do them, sprint training will help you run those faster too!
I quite fancy mixing it up by doing some hill sprints, I’ve heard that they are really good for fitness and fat loss.

Took a day off from running today, first 5k I’ve missed in 14 days, so only at 26 of last 28 days now, lol.

social media does have it's pluses at times

Run 5k, Donate £5 to the NHS, and tag 5 of your mates to do the same.

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fu...FundraiserPage?userUrl=RunForHeroes&pageUrl=4

Agreed have done this myself, great initiative. Noticing lots of people signing up to Strava etc. at the moment too.

Over £3m raised so far which is brilliant! Bit of a shame that Branson will apparently get a small % of the money raised though as the donation page is on the Virgin Money Giving platform.

I quite fancy mixing it up by doing some hill sprints, I’ve heard that they are really good for fitness and fat loss.

Took a day off from running today, first 5k I’ve missed in 14 days, so only at 26 of last 28 days now, lol.

I sometimes do what I think is referred to as fartlek training which basically is run at close to normal speed for between two sets of lamp posts, then sprint between the next two, and so on, so a third of the distance is sprints. I’d only start doing this halfway into a run, but if you’re only going out for half an hour it varies things up a bit.
In terms of weight loss I was told many years back that short runs are little use, and the energy comes from the muscle store; you only go on to biting the fat one you get past of 5 or 6 miles, so far loss comes from doing an 8-10 miler once a week in with your shorter runs. In the past when I did one 3 mile, one 6 mile and one 10 mile run each week the weight really did come off. Now I’m just doing 3 x 3 miles runs a week very little weight is coming off!

edit - hill sprints sounds great too - I like running up hill more than down.
Apparently Seb Coe when he trained in Sheffield never ran down hill - he’d run out of Sheff up the hills then he’d hop in his Dads car and go home. Let us know how you get on with them.

I sometimes do what I think is referred to as fartlek training which basically is run at close to normal speed for between two sets of lamp posts, then sprint between the next two, and so on, so a third of the distance is sprints. I’d only start doing this halfway into a run, but if you’re only going out for half an hour it varies things up a bit.
In terms of weight loss I was told many years back that short runs are little use, and the energy comes from the muscle store; you only go on to biting the fat one you get past of 5 or 6 miles, so far loss comes from doing an 8-10 miler once a week in with your shorter runs. In the past when I did one 3 mile, one 6 mile and one 10 mile run each week the weight really did come off. Now I’m just doing 3 x 3 miles runs a week very little weight is coming off!

edit - hill sprints sounds great too - I like running up hill more than down.
Apparently Seb Coe when he trained in Sheffield never ran down hill - he’d run out of Sheff up the hills then he’d hop in his Dads car and go home. Let us know how you get on with them.

thats what ive been finding, always do 5k at least 3 times a week but weight loss is a slow one around the belly.

thats what ive been finding, always do 5k at least 3 times a week but weight loss is a slow one around the belly.

Agree fully mate. The only time I lost weight properly was longer runs combined with cutting out carbs from my evening meal.
And even then, you’re right, I lost some from the belly but I also lost a lot elsewhere, my face for example - which those around me told me didn’t do me any favours!

Not sure about the fat loss but they really improve performance and endurance.

Warning though, and this sounds obvious but they are bloody hard and much more demanding than your standard run.

I started doing 45 sec sprints up the clifftop and I was completely shattered. Great feeling at the end though.

Agree fully mate. The only time I lost weight properly was longer runs combined with cutting out carbs from my evening meal.
And even then, you’re right, I lost some from the belly but I also lost a lot elsewhere, my face for example - which those around me told me didn’t do me any favours!

Same here. Face has gone, so look a bit gaunt, but the last bit of the belly refuses to budge.

Went for 10 miles last week. Hated it, not got the get go for the longer runs at the moment.

Starting a speed plan to get back to sub 20 5km again. Was at 21 last month but suspect I’ve gained a couple of minutes with not getting out running as much.

I miss parkrun ahha

Similar story. A month before lockdown I was down to 20:27 on my local park run, which is not the easiest, and so felt ready, after running the Wilmslow Half Marathon, to push on and break 20 mins. Still go out running but without timed events and and competition I am definitely going in the wrong direction.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.