#9 | Gabriel Jesus - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Claim:

The Evidence:

The Improvement:

Last edited:
well Firmino's cut from the same cloth. Jesus has had a lot more chances comparatively than Mane for those chances, in fact before this weekend out of the top 20 goalscorers in the league Jesus was 3rd or 4th for number of chances despite his minutes, another 7 will only add to that. 1 goal, despite an otherwise really positive performance, sums up the problem with him. It should have been 4-0 at half-time given the chances and he should have been coming off with a hat-trick given the chances. 22 shots since the lockdown, 6 on target and 2 goals. At some point that has to start improving no matter what else he brings to the team.
you keep going on about these chances, half of them are crap and they only come as a second or third option when the defense is expecting it after a couple different greedier players have gone it alone and run out of ideas.

Think we're all forgetting one thing about tonight.

0 offsides.
and i don't even care about the offsides, i want my striker playing on the edge, but what i want even more is that the selfish players see the space as fast as gabby does and give him the ball on the run.

The issue is his weakness is so fundamental to the traditional striker. I worry about him as a Champions League regular striker; we're not going to be able to carve out 30 shots a game at the highest level of that competition and I don't see Jesus as someone who can make the most of limited service. He's obviously a very talented player but we'd have to adapt our system similar to Liverpool's in that we accept a striker playing quite deep.
No doubt Kun is a better player, but you can see why Pep loves Jesus especially when he plays like he did against Madrid.
I'm not worried in the least, Gabby's only getting started, he will be a giant for us if we can keep him.

Last edited:
Ings plays for fucking Southampton. It's astonishing he should even be close. You can bump it up with cup stats all you want, it's 12 goals and 5 assists in the big league.

I don't understand why having fewer goals than Ings is a stick to beat Jesus with?

Aguero has fewer goals than Ings. Kane has fewer goals than Ings, Salah, Mané too. Danny Ings is having an exceptional season and has a chance at winning the golden boot.

I disagree with the often made point here that finishing is not something you can improve upon. There are plenty of examples of forwards who have become better goalscorers as they mature.

Sterling was very poor at times wrt his finishing. This season he is about to score 30 goals from open play. Vardy was a nothing striker when he was 25 y.o. Now he is about to win the Golden Boot.

Jesus will score plenty of goals. He has it in him to score 40 goals a season in his prime while helping his team-mates both offensively and defensively. Virtually all of his critics in this thread underestimate the importance of defending from the front.

Another thing that his critics don't seem to understand is how difficult it is to hit form and grow as a player when you are not a firm starter. Generally, Jesus is getting better when he plays several games in a row. He hasn't had the chance yet to play as a first choice striker for more than 2 months.

Last edited:
I don't understand why having fewer goals than Ings is a stick to beat Jesus with?

Aguero has fewer goals than Ings. Kane has fewer goals than Ings, Salah, Mané too. Danny Ings is having an exceptional season and has a chance at winning the golden boot.
Not to mention Ings probably plays 90 mins for all of the games. Also Ings has no other responsibility than to score. Jesus has to press like a madman, and then also create chances for others. It’s a thankless job.

It wasn't. I was asked to show someone else in England who had 20 goals in less time than Jesus, I did. Just demonstrating it wasn't something to laud Jesus for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.