Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The testing was poor ( no over 55s), the marketing was poor implying it had a higher efficacy than the initial 62%,described as an 'intriguing' possibility ( not a scientific term). The 'apparently'poor effectiveness against the SA vaccine was not really it's fault but didn't help it's cause.
Despite all this it could be the vaccine most beneficial to the world.
We'll see.

Disagree on testing being poor.

Oxford Uni initially ran the tests on under 65's as they were unsure on the safety at the start, Pfizer and Moderna went with older groups straight off the bat. It was an ethical decision, AZ said they would have run it on older to start with but Oxford were in charge.

Once proved safe they added older groups and worked out their antibody response compared to those in the younger cohorts and it was similar.

The initial findings were to get emergency approval, there are on going clinical trials in the US which will provide more data on the over 65's.

They could have waited for the US results to come in, but why wait unless you want a stagnant roll out like the EU?

On it being intriguing I'd say it was not far off the correct term, as when they got more data it turns out it wasn't the 0.5 then full dose regimen that improved efficacy, it was the spacing between doses.

And with the South African variant the Pfizer and J&J vaccines have been hailed for their T Cell response and protection against "severe disease", where as the AZ vaccines been put down for not protecting against mild and moderate disease when it highly likely still does the things Pfizer and J&J are being lauded for.

England hospital deaths

By region

96 Midlands, 79 South East, 69 London, 61 East. 56 North West. 55 NE & Yorkshire, 20 South West

By age group:

20 - 39 (2) 0.4%

40 - 59 (28) 6.4%

60 - 79 (193) 44.3%

80 PLUS (213) 48.9%

The under 60s lowest in a while but the gap between the two older age groups closest I can ever recall.

And yet again (5th time this last week or so after hardly ever before) the over 80s sub 50%

This is very clear now that the over 80s are not dying in the same proportion as they used to do.

I do think vaccination of that age group starting longest ago is reasonably clear as to one factor why.

We should now see this become more obvious and quite possibly that group to fall below the 60 - 79s as these are only now starting to become immunised in large numbers so their obvious vaccine impact in these figures will still be some weeks away yet.
very well described that mate, i think 'just my opinion' get the 60+ bracket and any others below who are at risk double vaccinated and its good to ease out of lockdown, the media putting pressure on the government is not helping with this the same media who were putting pressure on them to lock down,things are looking good,thanks for the post

UK vaccinations: 544,603 1st doses delivered yesterday, compared to 494,163 on the same day last week

Cumulative 1st doses: just over 14.556 million

Brilliant!!!

The 15 million target by the 15th will have been achieved when today's figures are announced tomorrow. Incredible effort by everyone involved.

Quick summary before match - more later.

North West unfortunately back to the most cases - rising by 198 to 1960.

Other regions:

Yorkshire up 42 to 1263

North East down 75 to 673

East Midlands down 248 to 1411

West Midlands down 81 to 1585.

East down 580 to 1091

London down 312 to 1495

South East down 284 to 1491

South West down 50 to 830

So North West the highest of all and struggling to get much lower but not disastrous as it would always be one of the highest relative to population. Just not falling as much as it was.

Greater Manchester in all of this rose by 71 to 807. 71 of the 198 NW increase was low enough to reduce the GM % of the total a little again to 41.2%. Still slightly over par.

In GM Bolton had a poor day - up over 100 again along with Manchester.

Everywhere else up slightly on yesterday but sub 100 and most down week to week again.

Trafford chomped another big chunk off the overall Pop Score deficit and looks certain to overtake Stockport in the next couple of days and officially hold all the leading numbers in GM.

Unless VAR intervenes - as in some rather unlikely Very Alarming Ratings (in Trafford.

But the week to week drops mean the trend is down and that is really the only thing that matters.

Last edited:
Disagree on testing being poor.

Oxford Uni initially ran the tests on under 65's as they were unsure on the safety at the start, Pfizer and Moderna went with older groups straight off the bat. It was an ethical decision, AZ said they would have run it on older to start with but Oxford were in charge.

Once proved safe they added older groups and worked out their antibody response compared to those in the younger cohorts and it was similar.

The initial findings were to get emergency approval, there are on going clinical trials in the US which will provide more data on the over 65's.

They could have waited for the US results to come in, but why wait unless you want a stagnant roll out like the EU?

On it being intriguing I'd say it was not far off the correct term, as when they got more data it turns out it wasn't the 0.5 then full dose regimen that improved efficacy, it was the spacing between doses.

And with the South African variant the Pfizer and J&J vaccines have been hailed for their T Cell response and protection against "severe disease", where as the AZ vaccines been put down for not protecting against mild and moderate disease when it highly likely still does the things Pfizer and J&J are being lauded for.

Thanks for that important detail.
I agree with you.
I was just giving 'reasons' rather than 'justifications' for the bad ( but unjustified) PR that the AZ vaccine has received.

1st jab today. Very quick and smooth process
Quite a few on here saying they were vaccinated today or yesterday.

I wonder if there will be a big jump in data tomorrow or just that it illustrates the Bluemoon demographic :)
Brilliant!!!

The 15 million target by the 15th will have been achieved when today's figures are announced tomorrow. Incredible effort by everyone involved.
It's understandable but I think there's possibly some confusion about the target.

The Delivery Plan aimed to offer the vaccine to approx. 15million people in Priority Groups 1-4. I read somewhere that the take up rate among the over 75s in England has been 93%, so this suggests that a lot of these offers have actually been taken up.

But the 14.556 million vaccinated so far probably includes an increasing number of those outside Priority groups 1-4, firstly to ensure that vaccine wasn't wasted and second as the 65-69s (group 5) are now starting to be offered vaccinations as well.

Notwithstanding the last point, it's obviously an outstanding effort and it hopefully means that an easing of restrictive measures will be announced soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.