The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
Yes but we need global recognition as being one of, if not the most successful clubs in world football. Which is not possible if the top 10 clubs play in a competition we are not in.

The idea City would or should pass on an invite to join an elite league of 11 of the biggest clubs in world football and as a founder member is pure fantasy.

There's multiple parts to UEFA. There's the Secretariat - Ceferin and the employees - the national leagues and the clubs. Within the latter two, there's the powerful national leagues and others and likewise for the clubs, with the old G14 lording it over the other European clubs. So a lot of vested interests vying against each other.

I don't envy anyone in Ceferin's position, who has to try to keep all those competing forces in balance. The big clubs bring him his revenue so tend to have the loudest voices but inevitably and eventually, appeasing them season after season will just lead to them demanding more. Then, as we're seeing now, they'll ditch you when they think it's in their interests to do so.

I've said it before that Ceferin is probably our friend, in as much as he wants to keep everyone happy as far as possible. I believe he tried to stop the FFP shit but (again) a breakaway was threatened by our enemies. Maybe the CAS case was actually the catalyst for this ESL. The timing certainly fits.

I'm now even wondering if we're playing a long game in this, possibly working with Ceferin.

Maybe hopelessly optimistic but I wonder if we've fluttered our eyelashes at the breakaway group, understood their plans, suckered them in, then betrayed them by leaking the Super League plans and then we'll pull out, leaving them isolated, maybe even out of their national leagues and international outcasts. The PL needs 15 clubs to agree something as major as expulsion so 6 clubs in the ESL renders that path impossible. But if we were to withdraw, maybe Chelsea too, then a majority vote that sees the US-owned clubs outside the PL is obviously achievable. It would be stunning revenge.

But, as I say, maybe I'm just being hopelessly optimistic.

But then we could have done that without signing up. We could have got this to a point where we verbally committed but then walked away. That would have been a PR master stroke.
The thing is though, in a perverse way, joining this Super League actually gives us leverage with UEFA and the PL that we’ve never had before.

Gill and his cronies have already resigned from UEFA. That already strengthens our position with UEFA.

We’re almost in the position of kingmaker now. We seem the most likely to pull out and if we do, the whole pack of cards comes tumbling down.

My major concern is, surely we must have signed something with the SL that leaves us liable to pay them millions if we pull out.

We are being stitched up big time here. The clubs that want to stay at the top will get more revenue so widening the gap ahead of us once more. These clubs both hated and feared us with a passion and forced UEFA to go after us. They want us gone. UEFA couldn't do it so they've broken away and created a new competition into which we're invited but it widens the gap, so really we make up the numbers. The rags, and dippers, as two history clubs get more revenue too so that will put them ahead of us once more in the premier league. How long will it be before they decide we've broken some rule or change the rules to boot us out? Actually given that we're getting much less revenue so will find it impossible to compete against them in a few years again they probably don't have to. We have been lured into a trap and they've played a blinder the snakes.
This is exactly how I see it .. it’s so fucking obvious for all to see ! how have we signed up to this I don’t know, what a monumental cock up .
What a chance this would of been to stick two fingers up to united and Liverpool especially, come out of it all looking good for once and maybe the tune would of started to finally change regards to our owners etc
It was these clubs that instructed uefa to introduce ffp as any means to stop us , they will do the same if this goes ahead but instead they make there own rule book .
If we don’t back out of this it’s looking very bleak , I can see some already see this as a step to far . Sad times

Same here, seems strange to see page after page of how we should stay with EUFA, the same EUFA we boo before every CL game?

I don't boo them because I'm not a child. Many, many other City fans in the same boat.

We have a choice between working with an organisation we don't like or destroying football.

Easy call for me.

I voted yes, not due to any great love for the concept but because I’d rather see City in it, if it’s going ahead, than locked out of the continent’s biggest competition for all time.

Really, a binary choice isn’t enough to properly give a rounded view on it. I’d have ticked a box saying I’d be most happy if it didn’t go ahead at all, but that wasn’t an option.

Would you like to see a future world where rags, dippers, et al are in this competition, and have wheedled their way back into the premier league, while city are stuck in second rate European competitions that no one watches?
Very much the thought processes going on amongst our directors and owner, I would imagine.

The new CL format allows elite clubs that don’t qualify for it to just be invited into it anyway. Both are shite.

Yeah i get that and the new format is shite but teams like West Ham, Leicester could still qualify for the CL under that format if they finish in the top 4. Do you think they will be ever "invited" to the ESL?

I haven't seen any clarification of the criteria for that yet. Presumably it would be performance based but until there is clarification, we won't know for sure.
Is the correct answer. There is a reason you don’t know and it’s because nobody wants you to. In a matter of months it will completely closed.

Surely they cant be that naive, the yanks maybe, but im struggling to understand why they didint see this backlash coming. Especially doing this in the middle of a pandemic when so many smaller clubs and lower leagues are really struggling. It just looks plain awful.

there is no way they didn't see it coming. If they hadn't, we'd be hearing a lot more, misguided statwments, misplaced sentiments, attempts at selling it even. The total silence and the third party distant statement says they very much knew it was doomed for baklash and they would ride it out.

And if the five biggest leagues in Europe get those places for winning the league and 6 premier league clubs already in the SL that means finishing 7th in premier league will get you in now if these premier league owners look at that they will see money signs! Say again uefa revamped competition is like a closed shop as well!
You think they're going to have a 7th team in the competition from England? I'd say there's basically no chance, and they'll be looking elsewhere.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.