The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
Oliver Holt (@OllieHolt22) Tweeted:
Hearing the first cracks may be beginning to appear in the ugly, misshapen edifice of the ESL. Told two English clubs are close to losing their nerve.

Come on City do the right thing.

Highly doubt that. Like all media waves around a developing situation, speculation wishful thinking and just general selfpropelling will see a whole of claims in the next few days. Most of them will be hollow.

Most people on here don't want this new SL. That's fine but most people on here don't like the CL - always playing the same crap clubs before the 'fun' really starts. So, what is your answer?? The new CL proposal by UEFA will probably mean more of the same crap games but less money because it will have to spread further. What is your answer?
It's the case of getting out of the competition that threatens the very fabric of football, then tackle UEFA's proposals. UEFA's proposal is also crap but it's still fundamentally merit based, they're the lesser of 2 evils here.

Like most, i wish we did not sign up for this.
However i can see the clubs stance by joining.

We have now a target to reach to break even each year, if this goes ahead, the money from the next negotiations for tv rights for the PL and CL will crash if they top teams are expelled from it, so that leaves the club with large cost cutting to do.
Also we owe UEFA nothing, they have been after us from day 1 trying to screw us over. The PL with its own agenda and the free reign Riley has with his staff are not in a position to have a pop either.

I have zero interest in the super league, it will soon become boring and i wont subscribe to yet another channel to watch the games but the new CL format is awful.
Already we have seen them give more money to historical teams, now there are 2 spots for those not qualifying to get a free place over a team who perhaps finishes above them in a hard league season, again the freebies for historical co-efficient point teams and how can a tournament be fair when you only play selected teams in the group. They say teams will play other teams of varying strengths but its open to corruption. You know Rags will get more minnows and us the harder games. I fail to see how this is progress when teams can qualify from the same group without playing the same opponents.

There's emotion, romance, and football fandom. Then there's the realities of a board of directors and the fiduciary duties of that board. Your post is pot on.

The question of returns is really at the root of this. The Americans want to jack their returns up and FAST. Roman and Mansour can probably afford to sit on the asset for another ten years, but the reality is with Silver Lake at the table also and with the harsh fact that they are going to go and head and try and do this regardless of City's stance, City had little choice.

Be on the outside pissing in or on the inside pissing out.
I listened to some of your podcast yesterday and found it interesting. I am not against new investment and ideas but I would never support a closed shop to get more money in. The whole basis of football is that there is a chance, however small, of getting to the top. A franchise model kills that. City should not support this particular type of model that turns a competition into a show and a very boring one at that.

I find the overreaction quite high about this new format of CL, suddenly football will lose its value, battle of class, something i like i don't recognize my club anymore, funny from some of our fans but especially those exagerated arguments where used against CITY to justify that this Club couldn't be bought like any other club and its owner doesn't have to invest in order to make it grow.

Whether you like it or hate it, clubs were hit hard by Covid, Uefa whos playing drama queen simply because this new brand will kill champions league and maybe even Europa League. This is not new, many things changed in Football in the past.

We are talking about an entertainment sport whether you like it or hate it, it is not a city council

To sum it, found the timing bizzare the format different, many questions still need answering but the overreaction will do nothing,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.