Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

Come on it’s not all down to the DM. We have played Chelsea 2 games before the final with a DM and still lost. The more time to reflect the more I blame the players. No matter the formation or tactics they did not do enough individually to win. The mental collapse is what worries me. Every now and again the players go missing.
This has been pointed out on here before. If things aren’t going our way then we don’t have the mental strength to come through with a clear lack of leadership at times. However the Dortmund and PSG games showed otherwise so I’m not sure. I think the players were overawed by the occasion and the start of the game set the tone. It was nervy as hell at the back and this rippled through the side. I have never seen us misplace so many passes in one game, some straight into touch. It was just a terrible performance from start to finish. The manager and players are equally culpable for me. Win together, lose together.

I could see what Pep was trying to do and if it wasn't for Rudiger's last ditch challenge to block Foden he would be hailed as a genius today, instead in a typical show of over reaction he is being questioned.

Chelsea are a fantastic side who are brilliantly organised and defensively as good as it gets, they narrow down space so well it gives no room to play in. So I could see why Pep played Mahrez and Sterling high and wide, they needed to be stretched and we had to pull their CBs out wide to create space, plus playing Mahrez and Sterling high and wide it should have negated their wing backs which it did to some extent. They countered us by swarming all around Kev, he never got in the game, Kante was immense for them, which cut off our supply to the players we had high and wide.

I know people are questioning why there was no Ferna or Rodri, but that position in the game was almost redundant, it would have been a luxury having one of them there, a decisive one though and was our undoing for their goal. It was a fantastic ball by Mount though and perfectly weighted as it left Eddy in no mans land. Normally he would sweep up that no problem, but for some reason he was not sharp enough to cut out the danger.

They closed us down really well and disrupted our usual game. I don't believe playing an number 9 would have made any difference as he would have no service anyway they defended so well. Their full backs were exceptional. Mahrez had made Chilwell look silly earlier this season, this game Chilwell was so tight Mahrez hardly got a kick, James is quick and strong and had a very good game, he is just about the best RB in the country at the moment. And they had Rudiger, he was magnificent, what a player, fuck knows why Frank never played him, the lad is a superb defender and his presence made it easy for the rest of the defence as he won everything. They were also dangerous on the counter, Werner's pace gave them an out ball so we never built up a period of sustained pressure, nor could we over commit going forward because of his presence.

It was disappointing to lose of course, but we lost to a better team regardless of who we put out and now its three defeats in a row to them, all of them we deserved to lose because I do believe it is simply because they are better than us, no disgrace in that. Chelsea will get better as well and we have to improve to match them, we have to find a way to beat them. I do not know how that will be achieved, we have enough good players, but they have the Indian sign over us at the moment and what is worrying is other teams will copy there blueprint against us.

Now it is about how we react to defeat, the players will be hurting, the club is hurting, we have to make sure we come back stronger and I am certain we will. We are still Champions of England, first off we have to defend that and win the title again, the CL will come again and next time we will be better for the experience of losing.

I'm still struggling too understand that selection and performance, nothing positive to take from it, we've had a great season winning two trophies, so why do I feel so deflated.
I was pissed off with Peps selection against Lyon, it cost us big time and didn't think he would repeat his mistake again, but he did, and that's what I can't get my head around, he tinkered and Chelsea played us from start to finish, we could still be playing now and not scored.

That's what is doing my head in.

I'm trying to forget it/move on but what is preventing that is the knowledge that if we reach another final,he is capable of doing it again.
We all thought he learned last year and didn’t, someone needs to have the balls to tell him he’s wrong that laughing assistant just nods with him. Who’s to say he won’t do it again, yep over 38 games we can come back but not in a one off, he never won it at Bayern who’s to say he will win it here. City will eventually win it but it took Chelsea a while after their first defeat Pep may not be the one to take us there! Will he wins us the league again, probably, domestic cups, maybe, CL God knows.

Not just the selecion the whole tactics were wrong. Even with the correct/expected line up we were failing here, if he was tinkering the problem was he was not tinkering enough and we should have matched them imo with same 3 man defence and wingbacks to balance out the advantage they had with the ball. And then if we can keep it at 0-0 for 60-70 min then bring on some attacking subs, fresh legs and have a go at it.

Get Laporte on for Bernardo and go from there it should have been changed at around 30 min at still 0-0.

Still it made not much sense to use Gundo as DM, as he offered no more going forward than Rodri would have offered but also failed to give same presence front on the CB's who clearly were surprised that now they have to look out for bigger area to defend front of them which in fact was one of the main reason our defence improved this season, not that high line like earlier season and smaller area to be responsible for as Rodri/dinho doing a great job front of them 90% of time, and also lot of workrate from attacking players who can press from the front but also start pressing from deeper depending on opponent.

Chelsea's eary chances were a sign to change we were lucky Werner could not connect with his first big chance while only managed a quite easy shot for Ederson to save but if there is a top striker there we could have 2-0 down in like 25 min and all we had in balance is a Foden shot which was blocked not even a shot on target.

We were not struggling because for the personnel but because of the formation which was the same 433 but of course a real DM would have added bit more calmness to CB's still Tuchel system was simply better on the night.

Probably the changes to line up confused our players more than them. Based on how it panned out imo we would have lost too with the PSG line up, as PSG played a way different style than Chelsea and what worked there would have not worked here.

We should have taken much more notice of what went down in the FA cup semis and the league game vs Chelsea as the signs for there to learn from. we were to happy to say ohh it was not our best line up, losses does not matter it mattered a lot both tactically and mentally, they had the upper hand knowing they beat us recently 2 times.

If we dont collapse in the league game maybe it would have caused later on Chelsea to finish 5th and then playing the CL final extra additional risk of not being in CL for next year. that is certainly not something that would have made them stronger on the night and maybe extra stake would made some extra fear to creep into them.

That Aguero failed Panenka was horrible not because we did not win the league that day but because it gave the chance for Chelsea for finish top4 and have the experience of beating us again.

That Panenka also was holding more meaning, it was kind of arrogance, which pushed Chelsea on ok so thats what you think about us, now we will show you...

If we beat them heavily on that game when they were still in huge fight for top4 it might have made Tuchel to double think for the final and might have tinkered with his system.

I'm still fucking livid. Not the defeat, but the manner of it.
Same as mate, the club and the fans turned up big time for this, no doubt about it. Sorry to say Pep and the players didn't. The reasons can be debated all day long, team selection, set up etc. However, the no show was pathetic tbh. This was the CL final for fucks sake and their goalkeeper might as well have not stepped foot on the pitch. Ridiculous performance.

It’s not. He didn’t get it right but the idea that he tinkered with the team suggests it was more an indulgence or he didn’t know what he was doing but thought he had to do something. He picked the team which, with hindsight, didn’t work out, then the players played badly.

Exactly, he screwed up, it happens. He's still the right man for the job, what I would like to see is Pep sign a new contract to 2027.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.