Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

So it's Monday and I'm still as baffled and pissed off as I was on Saturday, I think this was our moment to win it, I don't think the stars will align as well as they did again as far as the Champs League goes and that might be our one and only final for a a while.

maybe that was the problem with the players and manager thinking it was our year and all we need to do is turn up
it will be a good lesson in the future that nobody has the divine right to win ? even with the best team and manager

the best thing for us fans is not to feel down for to long. look at winning the title and league cup again
we was head and shoulders above the rest. the one final loss can not take away the success

I've spent a day or two upset, and I'm still annoyed by that starting lineup, but my takeaway is that all teams that have won this competition a lot have a couple of finals where they got beat. Obviously, we need to win the first, but once we have done that it probably won't be the last.

"we all know what our strongest lineup & formation was..." is the last refuge of those who don't like the result and decide to take it out on the manager. You aren't, and no-one on this thread is in any way qualified to sit in judgement on Pep. The sad fact is that it doesn't matter who had started on Saturday night would have made little difference, whether it had been Ferna or Rodri or both. I'm afraid that from the very first minutes it was evident that the occasion was simply too big and that the team were leaden legged and too slow in thought and execution so that basic ball control was missing, passes were misplaced and we hardly won a single second ball. Ferna actually made no difference when he came on and Chelsea continued to cause havoc with simple through balls straight down the middle. This was because Stones showed an uncertainty and nerviness not seen all season, Dias showed he is a long way from being Vinnie on the biggest of occasions and Zinchenko had a turbulent evening, most notably when failing to follow Havertz. Ferna is a great player and leader but he isn't a miracle worker. Nor does he solve the problem we had up front where we did have our "strongest line up". Jesus and Aguero made little impact basically because we had no idea what we were doing. Sterling got nothing out of James and his touch was heavy and passing poor and Mahrez was kept wide so that he never posed any problems for Chilwell. Rarely did we get into their area and even more rarely did we have anyone in there to take advantage if we had. The problem on Saturday night was that no-one on that field performed anything like up to standard, nowhere near, and the idea that Ferna or Rodri would have turned that onto a winning performance is quite frankly a massive delusion. In my opinion those lads were not ready to carry the weight of the almost Messianic belief that these were the lads who were going to lead City out of the desert after a ten year journey to the paradise of champions league glory and they choked. This is one we can put down to experience. And my consolation is that next year "our best line up" will be a little different but much more experienced and there'll be no mistake.
Mate, very much like Pep, you're over-complicating a straightforward scenario. I'll spell it out for you.

Ederson, Walker, Stones, Dias, Zinchenko, Fernandinho/Rodri, Gundog, Silva, Mahrez, KDB & Foden. 4-3-3.

This is essentially the team which proved itself toward the final. The team which neutered Haaland, Mbappé & Neymar. The team almost every City fan wanted, & the team almost everyone expected to start.

Like I said, you can split hairs all you like micro analysing our performance down to the minutiae of who's not as good as Vinny, what Chilwell did from what he didn't do. The plain fact is this team did something no other City team in history has achieved; they got us to the final of Europe's premier football final & deserved the opportunity to complete the job.

We did so as joint top scorers, & with the joint best defence. The team was modified throughout the season based on rotation, form & injury, but come the quarter final, it was becoming clear which players were performing best, & which formation was working best for us. It seems the whole world could see this for the final bar Guardiola & yourself.

And yes, I'm taking my frustration out on our great manager, as he picked the team for the final, as everyone held their breath wondering if he'd have another brain fart at this crucial moment. He did & as many of us feared it cost us a potential victory.

Why not start with the team & formation most expected, & make changes if & when necessary? That would have been the smart thing to do in my opinion, but what do I, or the hundreds of thousands of City fans, opposition fans, pundits & media watchers know. In your world no one can question Pep, well hey, allow me to be the first...

Pep approached a CL Final without either one of our preferred CDM's. It's the first time all season he's played a match without one or the other, & he chose the most prestigious match in European football to try it out. Pep got it wrong. We lost. :-|

I’m still so fed up at that diabolical performance. It reminded me of watching the Brazil V Germany semi in 2014, when Brazil collapsed. That sickening feeling of watching a disaster unfold. Felt so sorry for their fans that night. The fans feel it more than anyone else.
If you had watched Brazil up to the Germany game then you would have known that once they faced a decent team they would be in serious bother ........ City on the other hand showed no signs of this happening until Pep sadly did what he did ........ honestly he’s an amazing manager a genius but football sometimes is an easy game ....., send your best XI out your best formation and if that fails then you don’t have to make excuses ....... what happenedSaturday was just baffling ........., will he learn from it ???? If he doesn’t then sadly he never will :(

I've spent a day or two upset, and I'm still annoyed by that starting lineup, but my takeaway is that all teams that have won this competition a lot have a couple of finals where they got beat. Obviously, we need to win the first, but once we have done that it probably won't be the last.
What is your takeaway? Chinese or Indian? Prefer Indian personally...;)

So it's Monday and I'm still as baffled and pissed off as I was on Saturday, I think this was our moment to win it, I don't think the stars will align as well as they did again as far as the Champs League goes and that might be our one and only final for a a while.
I think ur right this was our chance. Some teams never get a second chance. Playing Bayern or PSG or another heavyweight I would
not have that confidence again. After winning the league this is the only game we had to prepare for and we didn’t. Given how much this meant to the owners and having lost twice to them how could we underprepare? That Everton result was the worst thing that happened. Made us think we were invincible. Many neutrals said that they thought Chelsea may sneak it. We should have been ready. I feel and will remain angry for the foreseeable future as this game like the Spurs Chumps league games are two opportunities we let go unnecessarily. Some things u never got over and are missed opportunities in life. This was yet another.

Mate, very much like Pep, you're over-complicating a straightforward scenario. I'll spell it out for you.

Ederson, Walker, Stones, Dias, Zinchenko, Fernandinho/Rodri, Gundog, Silva, Mahrez, KDB & Foden. 4-3-3.

This is essentially the team which proved itself toward the final. The team which neutered Haaland, Mbappé & Neymar. The team almost every City fan wanted, & the team almost everyone expected to start.

Like I said, you can split hairs all you like micro analysing our performance down to the minutiae of who's not as good as Vinny, what Chilwell did from what he didn't do. The plain fact is this team did something no other City team in history has achieved; they got us to the final of Europe's premier football final & deserved the opportunity to complete the job.

We did so as joint top scorers, & with the joint best defence. The team was modified throughout the season based on rotation, form & injury, but come the quarter final, it was becoming clear which players were performing best, & which formation was working best for us. It seems the whole world could see this for the final bar Guardiola & yourself.

And yes, I'm taking my frustration out on our great manager, as he picked the team for the final, as everyone held their breath wondering if he'd have another brain fart at this crucial moment. He did & as many of us feared it cost us a potential victory.

Why not start with the team & formation most expected, & make changes if & when necessary? That would have been the smart thing to do in my opinion, but what do I, or the hundreds of thousands of City fans, opposition fans, pundits & media watchers know. In your world no one can question Pep, well hey, allow me to be the first...

Pep approached a CL Final without either one of our preferred CDM's. It's the first time all season he's played a match without one or the other, & he chose the most prestigious match in European football to try it out. Pep got it wrong. We lost. :-|
Spot on

It should not have been complicated,keep it simple!

We dominated when Fernandinho came on apart from maybe two chances they were pinned on their half and box, the resin the defenders were nervous us because they had no cover in front of them, the flair players couldn’t get into it because I genuinely think they didn’t know who to pick up as they got pulled all over the place. We got into their box numerous times Walker I’m particular but the final ball didn’t come. It would’ve been a more relaxed City team had we started with Fernandinho and allowed the others to play. Pep fucked up AGAIN. I’ll guarantee Laporte if he leaves will say as much because he tend to speak his mind.
You only dominated with possession definitely not with chances

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.