Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

I'm just still trying to wrap my head around not playing a defensive midfielder. Rodri or Fernandinho, ome or the other, fine, if we still lost people would be saying you should have played the other. But that was the team. It's not Sterling's fault, if anything he was one of our better players at the front, but to sacrafice that control.

I'll explain it to you.
We have gone out of the Champions League three times due to the referee we had tonight making the wrong decisions against us.
This referee has a long history of being against Pep Guardiola and against Manchester City.
Pep looked at this and realised every tackle, every bit of pressure will result in a free kick against us (at best).
With this in mind Pep decided to pick a team that were better at keeping possession rather than winning it back as that was the least likely to result in freekicks, penaltys, red cards against us.
He decided that due to the above it was sensible to pick Sterling rather than Fernandinho as that minimises the risks of red cards but allows Sterling's pace to keep James pinned back, thus negating one of their biggest threats.
Foden and De Bruyne were then allowed to roam up front in the hopes that this would then pull their back 5 out of position a little allowing us to exploit the space somewhat.
Hope this helps.
What a load of shite!
We’ve gone out tonight because tinkermen has overlooked what has got him to the final in the first fucking place.
Ederson
Walker
Dias
Stones
Zinchenko
Dinho
Gundo
Bernado
Mahrez
De Bruyne
Foden

it’s not fucking science!

What fucking manager consults with the fans about what team to pick? Jesus fucking Christ this place at times. Chelsea where excellent if that foden shot isn’t blocked by rudiger we are 1 0 up and pep is a genius. It’s football against a top side. it happens
It does. Small margins . Chelsea held out easily for the win their defensive solidity brought them.

Feel for the blues that spent so much and sweated on covid tests to go over there only to be let down by Peps ego once again.

He's a genius that sadly overthinks in the big games.

Unless Khaldoon and Txiki say something he'll continue to do it.

Maybe we can drop him for finals and derbies.

I thought we'd lose tonight but I'm annoyed at the way or why we lost. Everyone was gobsmacked at the team selection when it was announced. There's a reason Sterling hasn't been selected lately.

Call me a dreamer but if he had played Sergio instead of Sterling, I think we could have done it.
On the money. I have never seen someone's form nosedive as catastrophically at Sterling's has. It's weird.

Someone mentioned that Gundagon gets in Kevin's way and vise versa. Certainly Gundo played better during Kevin's absence when injured and Kevin was fabulous against Everton last week. However Chelsea do not allow any space to play. Yes they had 3 chances in the first half and one in the second. It was a game of few chances and the team that scored first was always going to be in the driving seat. I would have played Ferno but Pep is a great manager and I will not complain at his selection tonight. He has got so much right for us.

Pep out thought himself again in the CL, some people on here don't believe he does that though, and they are deluded. Every game either Rodri or Fern start, but not tonight, a very strange decision. Chelsea were easily the most dangerous team, and could have scored a couple more. Everyone knows how Chelsea play 3 at the back, 2 defensive mids, and we play 2 inverted wingers and condense everything into the middle playing to Chelsea's strength, not great tactically.

It's like Pep had a massive bet on a Chelsea win or something. Something just doesn't add up with that performance tonight, not creating any chances something majorly not right

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.