VAR - 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically taking into account that the TV frame rate cant handle the speed of the game, something that many on here have been preaching since it’s inception.

What prompted the change, did United lose out on yet another dodgy penalty because they were more than Sterling’s armpit air offside?
I think it guarantees Rashford the Golden boot as his nose will be onside.

VAR now working much better:
1) Faster decisions without holding up the game;
2) Hand ball rule fixed so stupid penalties/disallowed goals now a thing of the past.

VAR now working much better:
1) Faster decisions without holding up the game;
2) Hand ball rule fixed so stupid penalties/disallowed goals now a thing of the past.
I've always favored VAR - but recognized that it was a work in progress. One of my friends hates(hated) VAR with a major source of frustration hand ball VAR rulings - not the fault of VAR, but rather, of the old hand ball rule.

Now that the hand ball rule has been fixed, I really think VAR is about where it should be. As you say, rulings are quick, the hand ball rule has been sensically updated so hand ball VAR decisions are in line with what is mostly expected, and further, VAR is now much less likely to overrule on-field decisions (it's now much more along the lines of overrule only if "clear and obvious.")
===
The biggest problem with VAR and referring currently - is that refs are instructed not to blow for offside even when offside seems obvious when a goal scoring opportunity exists. This results in play after offside which will be called back. Such post-offside play may result in:
1) A goal, only to be called back - unnecessarily upsetting fans/players for the goal-scoring side;
2) Injuries - players, rightly playing to the whistle, may injure themselves, unnecessarily, for a sequence of play that will be disallowed.

Solution - it's in the future - but AI could solve this.

Last edited:
Was it the Wales game when UEFA had only 1 camera working. Wonder how they would have handled any controversial decisions?
Just have to work with what you've got even if you have no cameras at all. Not me mate, one P Walton explaining to Camel Gob on BT. Tripped over it the other night funnily enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.