#47 | Phil Foden - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of English players achieved far far more than Gascoigne, but I can’t think of a single English player who was far far better than him if you’re talking on an individual talent basis, never mind a wealth of them. Which players are you on about bud?
There aren't any, but I look forward to having a good laugh at the names he puts forward.

Paul Gascoigne was an absolute one-off. I've never seen a more talented English footballer in 60+ years of watching.

Plenty of English players achieved far far more than Gascoigne, but I can’t think of a single English player who was far far better than him if you’re talking on an individual talent basis, never mind a wealth of them. Which players are you on about bud?

Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, Beckham, Charlton, Moore, Shearer, Ferdinand...

Gascoigne only competes with them on the "natural talent" front, but as the likes of Nasri prove, being the best with the ball at your feet is only a fraction of what makes you a great player.

I mean come on. We're talking about a fella who's domestic career peaked with Spurs and who never played in Europe outside of a few games with Rangers. More naturally gifted than the guys I listed? Sure, if you insist. But better? Come on, you're having a laugh with that.

If he was better than that lot please explain why the only time anyone in the media (or as fans really) ever talks about him is when an international tournament comes around. Domestically his career was nowhere near the likes of Lampard or Scholes.

My point is that when people say Foden can be the next Gazza they're not setting the high bar they think they are. Foden's trophy cabinet alone is already more impressive than his.

Gascoigne only competes with them on the "natural talent" front, but as the likes of Nasri prove, being the best with the ball at your feet is only a fraction of what makes you a great player.

I mean come on. We're talking about a fella who's domestic career peaked with Spurs and who never played in Europe outside of a few games with Rangers. More naturally gifted than the guys I listed? Sure, if you insist. But better? Come on, you're having a laugh with that.

If he was better than that lot please explain why the only time anyone in the media (or as fans really) ever talks about him is when an international tournament comes around. Domestically his career was nowhere near the likes of Lampard or Scholes.

My point is that when people say Foden can be the next Gazza they're not setting the high bar they think they are. Foden's trophy cabinet alone is already more impressive than his.
I think we might be talking cross purposes here mate

Completely agree all the players you mentioned had far better careers than Gazza; but better players? No fucking chance

Gazza is the best English footballer I’ve ever seen either live or on TV. He could do things none of the players you mentioned would even try in training never mind a match. The guy was a complete one off but unfortunately had serious mental issues a head full of broken biscuits

Apologies for this last bit mate as I know this is all about opinions, but Beckham & Ferdinand universally agreed to be far far better than Gazza? PMSL…..agreed universally by whom? The Beckham’s & Ferdinand’s?

There aren't any, but I look forward to having a good laugh at the names he puts forward.

Paul Gascoigne was an absolute one-off. I've never seen a more talented English footballer in 60+ years of watching.
Completely agree, although mine’s a mere 40+ years

Shame we can't have 6 of him across midfield/attack. Unreal ability and can play anywhere and shine. Okay...possibly not in goal.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

You're dreaming if you think any of them had more individual talent/skill than Paul Gascoigne.

Including Beckham in your list is beyond bizarre.

Paul Gascoigne suffered serious injuries and very serious demons. I first met him when he was about 15 and knew he was going to be brilliant. I met him a few more times over the next four or five years, and a nicer, more honest lad you couldn't wish to meet. A humble superstar, a lad who couldn't himself believe how easy he made the game look.

He could do anything. If he'd been a goalkeeper, he'd still have played for England. He was the most naturally gifted sportsman I've ever seen.

The last time I saw him was at an England under 21 game, with Paul Stewart and a few other England squad players. He kept everyone entertained throughout the game, telling jokes and daft stories, but I could tell that he was trying too hard to live up to the reputation that the media had given him.

Only George Best came under the level of press scrutiny Paul Gascoigne was subjected to. Like George Best, Paul suffered psychological problems and tried to overcome them by drinking. That side of the story is well known.

To dismiss his career as you have is unfair and unrealistic. Paul Gascoigne WAS better than those you name. His career may not have been as glorious as those named, but the memory of his performances for every club he represented will live long in the memory.

To get back on topic, Phil Foden has that same cheeky confidence about his game. He seems to have a stronger support circle than Paul, and should, I hope, be able to ignore the shite that the media will no doubt throw around about him in the future.

Phil can be as influential as Paul Gascoigne for club and country, and will hopefully have a very long and very fruitful career, but I very much doubt he'll ever surpass Paul's level of individual skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.