Religion

It's the ones who still teach Creationism as 'fact', reject evolutionary theory (by misinterpreting 'theory' to mean a disputed idea. Eg, it's called the "Theory of Gravity"... we KNOW it to be correct) to be a lie, and cite the Bible at every opportunity when debating moralistic behaviour.
What I'd argue the "it's just a theory" mob do is mistake a theory for a hypothesis. And even then, misunderstand a hypothesis for a guess, and don't understand that if it's not falsifiable and testable, then it's not even that.

Having said that, there is a legitimate difference between a theory and a fact. A theory contains facts, but it also interprets and explains them. And gravity is a perfect example, because obviously it's a fact that gravity exists because we see its effects all the time. But our theory of gravity is still incomplete, because it fails at certain points and as I understand it, quantum mechanics and relativity are both effectively competing theories that can't explain physics at the other end of the scale, which suggests that neither is entirely correct yet. But of course the difference is that scientists will acknowledge this and work to improve their theories.

As Dara O'Briain said, "Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop."

what-star-trek.gif

So how we all doing lads?

GEORGE HARRISON - GOVINDA

This gives me immense peace of mind when I am feeling tired from the daily run for money, materialistic needs and those emotional attachments .. bless you George and bless you Govinda!

Societies without religion don't last long. No civilization in history that has been atheist lasted long. Without that religious impulse, society withers away.

I am the one, Orgasmatron, the outstretched grasping hand
My image is of agony, my servants rape the land
Obsequious and arrogant, clandestine and vain
Two thousand years of misery, of torture in my name
Hypocrisy made paramount, paranoia the law
My name is called religion; sadistic, sacred whore

Societies without religion don't last long. No civilization in history that has been atheist lasted long. Without that religious impulse, society withers away.
Interesting observation. Without discussing the rights/wrongs of it, in any event it has nothing to do with the fact religion is completely made up bollocks.

Polythesistic societies where city states ot local towns could be near completely athiest did in the ancient world.

Ot was only when the narrow minded monothelistic religions took control did it all go to shit and became about money and land grabs for those running the religion, and power not freedom of belief

fake belief system to keep society in order. Probably true back in the day. But not now - most of the country aren’t arsed about religion and everything still ticks along as normal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.