Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it was entirely Taylor's fault. The philosophy originated from the FA under the leadership of Bert Millichip in the early 80's.

Basically Millichip instigated a review of how to make English football more entertaining, which led to the assumption 'More goals = more entertainment'.

They then looked at how most goals were scored and found that in the vast majority of cases there was only 3 passes or less made prior to one being scored, and also that a significant amount of goals came from errors/mistakes at the back.

This is led to the long ball philosophy of lumping it into the opponents half as quickly as possible as it fitted with the '3 pass' thing whilst also potentially minimising errors.

On this basis they changed the whole FA/ England coaching set-up to incorporate this system. Early proponents of it were people like Big Sam etc, also Kendall's Everton system of the full backs lumping it to Graeme Sharp to knock it down for the likes of Sheedy etc

So basically the whole english coaching system was changed to emulate Wimbledon, whilst the upcoming european teams like Denmark, Norway and Sweden started to coach the possession based system of the successful Liverpool team.

This is what set English football back years.
Ok - my point was an over simplification but I clearly remember Taylor recalling in his early years at Watford (I assume when they were still a third or fourth tier club) that he came across a statistical report (the one you mention above) about the number of average number of passes needed to score when measured against the percentage of possession. The conclusion was that the fewer touches in getting the ball nearer the opposition's goal made the probability of scoring higher. In Taylor's words "I thought he [the report's author] is on to something here..." It was the work of Wing Commander Charles Reep who way back in the 1950s had invented a strategy known as Match Analysis.

Hence Taylor adopted hoof ball tactics - bypassing the midfield and then pressing the opposition deep in their own half and soon it began to pay dividends as Watford climbed the leagues and reached Division 1. Honing their tactics and fitness levels to a fine degree they soon finished Division One runners up and reached an FA Cup final. However Taylor was a successful small club and should have been nowhere near the England job. Players like Carlton Palmer and Geoff Thomas were given debuts under his reign. Taylor predated Wimbledon's physical and intimidatory approach and it's no wonder England were simply woeful under his tenure. Jack Charlton employed similar tactics with the ROI but it was football of it's time and that's where it should be left.

I occasionally watch non league football if City aren't playing or on international breaks and seeing teams now playing out from the back is something unthinkable before Pep's influence. I guess it's all about what people think of an entertainment - the Irish journalist would presumably welcome a tardis to take him back to the football he watched in 1985 ? If not, he can always go and watch Burnley in 2022.

Co commentator Lee Dixon pre game on American TV ,Saturday “ I was born in Manchester and was a City fan as a boy , but today I really really want a Chelsea win, one team being so far ahead is not good for football.
Then Spent the game explaining how City were there for the taking and defensively shaky. & how Chelsea created ALL the best chances.
Pretty much a carbon copy of his behavior when we played Arsenal, although he does have a professional allegiance to them.
I've noticed over the last fifty seasons or so that this notion was never a problem when the Rags, Dippers or Arse were regular shoo-ins for the title,nomatter how far ahead they were, and the further ahead the greater the eulogies. It's just pathetic bullshine from some of the pathetic specimens who frequent the media and are often labelled as 'experts'. Truth to tell, they know as much as we do about the game. Had they known half as much as they claim they would have been filling in just one LIttlewoods coupon with the treble chance sewn up.

I did the fa badges in the 80s, As a failed footballer i had become a PE teacher. ( failed at that too )

I passed the badges quite easily but argued with the Coaches at every level.The philosophy was clearly shite. Players in England are so much better due to the influx of foreign professionals .

The get a shot away within four passes was a particular crap Hughes theory. I still have his book today, it should make money as an antique.
How many times did we hear from folk how the England team suffered with so many foreigners!

For my sins I’m listening to this moron Earlys podcast talking about City
One thing he’s saying is the space city leave in behind their defence is Edersons space and if an opposition attacker goes into it they’re risking a serious brain injury.
WTF is he on? Examples of this include?
Has he re-written the Mane incident?

i think that’ll do me, five mins in

I love that when Pep first came they gave it big about how his football wouldn't work and "he needs to learn how to coach tackling" and now they're saying its no fair how his and the teams success has made the league boring. Its as if they wrote utter shit when he first came.
And continue to write shit today. The inner sanctum of premier league football was breached by Pep. He ripped up the old hoof ball playbook and they can’t stand it. City being the vehicle of choice did not help his cause.

If Pep was called Allardyce or Warnock we wouldn’t be having this discussion. Tho we would also probably be still in division 3 ;)

Co commentator Lee Dixon pre game on American TV ,Saturday “ I was born in Manchester and was a City fan as a boy , but today I really really want a Chelsea win, one team being so far ahead is not good for football.
Then Spent the game explaining how City were there for the taking and defensively shaky. & how Chelsea created ALL the best chances.
Pretty much a carbon copy of his behavior when we played Arsenal, although he does have a professional allegiance to them.
So what are you saying? Dickon is a bell-end?

I read that article and agree with you. 2/3rds of it was incredibly positive and thoughtful. 1/3 was hateful and the worst type of City bingo. I do wish the club would do more to build relationships with these journalists and try and eliminate the stuff that is just factually wrong. Unlimited riches, owned by a country etc etc.
You mean like from Ian Herbert, deputy chief sports writer at the Daily ( fucking ) Mail.
"Liverpool are the only ones holding a candle to the champions designate ( sounds good so far ) though they do not have a Gulf state's wealth underpinning them. " Fucking amazing init ;-)
That was today.

Last edited:

I can't get my head around how Dixon thinks, how can anybody who claims to have been a City fan wish defeat on us.
It amounts to treason, how could you turn your back on your club ( I know money talks ) could never have been a proper fan, it's like that prick Conn, why go after your own club, why give the enemy ammunition.
We have few friends in the media so why do so called blues join in, you never see an ex dipper or dipper supporting journalist go after them with all the shit and tricks they've done down the years.

It’s about time the club started telling certain newspapers that they employ cunts. Or cut out the middle man and tell the journos directly that firstly they’re cunts and secondly that they’re spouting deflamitory lies and are being issued with a writ! We’ve had this shit since 2008 and Shirley 14 years of pure bollocks is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.