Kalvin Phillips | Joins City on a 6-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all about context when it comes to transfer fees. I wouldn't have bat an eyelid had the club decided to pay £250mil for Haaland because he's a generational talent, and with such players the outlay has almost been recovered within a season or two; the potential rewards far outweigh the minimal risk. With those kind of signings you worry about the finances later. As it happens, the price we paid for Erling could end up being deal of the millennium.

£60mil for Kalvin Phillips is bonkers. No ifs. No buts. United were roundly ridiculed when they spent £80mil on Harry Maguire, with good justification. Our sides would be creasing if any of our rivals paid £60mil for Phillips; in fact, show of our hands, did anyone on here suggest him as a viable option for us before the rumours started? £60mil is straying temptingly close to the kind of fee you would pay for a world class addition. What did we pay for Rodders? ~£60mil, though I stand to be corrected. If Pep adheres to his tried and trusted system, and doesn't delve into the dreaded double pivot, he's only going to be playing a handful of games all season; because he's never going to be close to Rodri's level. He's stood out in an England side that is probably one of the most defensive in the history of the sport, if England resembled anything close to an orthodox team he wouldn't be in the starting eleven. We shouldn't be spending £60mil on him, simple as that. Contrary to what the ill-informed believe we don't have an unlimited budget and we should be spending it better. That's going to be my opinion on him until he comes here and proves me wrong.

I'm still hopeful, if we are going to spend the numbers mentioned, we bring in a better option.

A4FDC74B-8607-4576-95AE-25F03D52FEFD.jpeg
See that. It's been said by a city fan. You expect same response from another club. When you overpay for one player, you need to do it again and again

I`m not suggesting its fair value.I clearly stated that the club will determine what a fair value is ... something which I am more than happy with and we have walked away before.
Everyone has an opinion though, no? I trust the club as much as you do, but it doesn’t mean I can’t/won’t form my own opinion on what I think represents good value. At the reported £35m release clause…ok i don’t particularly rate him but I can 100% see why we are interested. At the reported £60m not so much, because I think we are entering the price-range of what you would expect to pay for one the best midfielders around. I don’t think Phillips enters into that conversation.

Delaney. "A deal possibly up to 60m". So naturally its 60m
I've spoken with Leeds fans who has admitted that there's "no way" that they would even consider 40-50M£, but he is just a fan, so NOT SO MUCH RELIABLE ;)

Grealish was a good buy we won the league with his contribution same with Ake who else in the last two years you talking about.
Personally and this is just my view and I have no desire to get into a drawn out argument especially with established and respected posters.

Grealish did ok for his first year but for me it told that in the really important games such as the real and atletico games as well as the Liverpool game and the wolves away game Grealish was benched. Of course he contributed to us winning the league but for 100 million English pounds I want more from him. I know he’s said himself he played it safe and with himself but still he should be changing games or taking it by the scruff of the neck such as de Bruyne or Bernardo or even gundogan can do.

Ake. Again pep has him as 4th choice centre back. Again I like Ake and he did start to play well at the back end of the season when called upon but if stones/Laporte or Dias are fit then he’s not playing.
That’s what 140 million pounds between the. Look I just don’t think our recruitment has been as good as some make out over the last two years.

That’s my view and I’ll stick to it and will try to explain it as best I can. I’m happy to debate with you guys because if we all agree on everything then it will become boring.

Personally and this is just my view and I have no desire to get into a drawn out argument especially with established and respected posters.

Grealish did ok for his first year but for me it told that in the really important games such as the real and atletico games as well as the Liverpool game and the wolves away game Grealish was benched. Of course he contributed to us winning the league but for 100 million English pounds I want more from him. I know he’s said himself he played it safe and with himself but still he should be changing games or taking it by the scruff of the neck such as de Bruyne or Bernardo or even gundogan can do.

Ake. Again pep has him as 4th choice centre back. Again I like Ake and he did start to play well at the back end of the season when called upon but if stones/Laporte or Dias are fit then he’s not playing.
That’s what 140 million pounds between the. Look I just don’t think our recruitment has been as good as some make out over the last two years.

That’s my view and I’ll stick to it and will try to explain it as best I can. I’m happy to debate with you guys because if we all agree on everything then it will become boring.

Can see that Grealish came of the bench against Real Madrid and was so unlucky with those saves. His first year was a 6.9/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.