Liverpool Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mention football before SKY and their sponsors getting involved in football, pumping millions into the game..

Is that what you're saying Tom ?

Can I ask, what's your opinion on Littlewoods Pools pumping a shed load of money into your team, making them all but untouchable in the late 70's and 80's then Tom ..?

I take it you didn't get the urge to pop down to Tranmere, Bolton and Blackpool back then when you were hooving up all the best players and silverware..!
Nah, he could sit with Degzy the divvy and Smigga the sock robber (even though he's a total meff!) back then, endlessly chatting about what was in last night's Echo, (you can't even talk to Olaf now-a-days, christ, he doesn't even know what the proper recipe for scouse broth is, but at least he boos the national anthem like a good'un) 'cause that's all that matters, the success was almost an irrelevance. Oh, and the potato-and-cat pies were cheaper back then too. Then it was off into town for a few bevvies with the lads and later he'd jib on a bus home for nowt when one of his mates opened the emergency doors and everyone in the queue all piled on. Nowt the driver could do. It was all scousers as far as the eye could see, and it was wonderful.

His is simply a tale of a bloke getting older and dreaming of how it all used to be, when football was fair and the natural order was in place. YAWN! (or letters to that effect) ;)

Nah, he could sit with Degzy the divvy and Smigga the sock robber (even though he's a total meff!) back then, endlessly chatting about what was in last night's Echo, (you can't even talk to Olaf now-a-days, christ, he doesn't even know what the proper recipe for scouse broth is, but at least he boos the national anthem like a good'un) 'cause that's all that matters, the success was almost an irrelevance. Oh, and the potato-and-cat pies were cheaper back then too. Then it was off into town for a few bevvies with the lads and later he'd jib on a bus home for nowt when one of his mates opened the emergency doors and everyone in the queue all piled on. Nowt the driver could do. It was all scousers as far as the eye could see, and it was wonderful.

His is simply a tale of a bloke getting older and dreaming of how it all used to be, when football was fair and the natural order was in place. YAWN! (or letters to that effect) ;)
You could be half right with that my friend.. truth being I am older and hanker for the old days.. you think a lot of older generations fall into that category... who knows there might be a few of you in years to come despite all the glory and success which has come your way over last few years will yearn for the old meat and potato pies in the Kippax and walk through skinners alley.. I don’t know.
I don’t mind getting a bit of stick on here.. all part of the banter.. am a scouser like to think am fair minded and I say if you give it you should expect to take it..

I can only say, thank God Hitler wasn't from Liverpool and a regular on the Kop.

If he had been, 'independent enquiries' would be telling us the Poles were responsible for WW2, and that the Holocaust was caused by mysterious men from southern England; while Adolf deserved compo for the cruel rejection of his skill as an artist, given that he was better than Rembrant.
Didn't Hitler spend some time in Liverpool?

Edit: Apparently he did, just before WWI. The rumour is that he watched Everton while he was there, which probably explains a lot.

I'm 50, am I old enough to have an opinion? ;)

You've made some fairly reasonable observations about the death of football as the working man's local entertainment source; I get it, you've seen your ground turned into Disneyland Scouse, filled with day-tripping out of towners with their cameras and their plastic bags emblazoned with your club crest and filled with tacky club-branded crap, and I can understand your despair.

But what you're missing in all of this is the role that the media have played in this demise that you've witnessed.

Both yourselves and un*t*d have been (RE)branded by the media in some sort of romaticised fairytale way, you know, with the "theatre of dreams" and "those special nights under the anfield floodlights" (etc...etc...etc... ad infinitum ad nauseam), and all the idiots who are dotted around the globe who were in need of a story to attach themselves to a successful club (that they have no real attachment to) have lapped it all up; and now they've come here, seen that, and bought thousands and thousands of T-shirts.

But maybe it'll be different for us, maybe we'll the exception to the rule.

Why?

Because maybe, just maybe, all the biased, xenophobic, racist, childish rhetoric that the media of this country have peddled out since 2008 (or thereabouts) will come back and bite the bastards on the arse! We've been held up and pointed at for being the bad guys of football; we're the human rights violating, state owned, evil oil money fueled, FFP breaking, cheating, swarthy skinned infidels of football who can't even fill their own ground. (BINGO?!) Who would choose to follow us who has no connection to us? They'd better have thick skins if they do.

So maybe the loss of our club isn't so imminent.

Don't get me wrong, it's 99.9% certain that it will get here eventually, but I have a suspicion that it'll take a little longer than you hope/think, and in my opinion it'll be all "thanks" to all that mud that's been thrown in our direction by the childish pricks in the media.

Karma's a woman, aint it?! ;)

And the way the press/media dont talk over YNWA, what's all that about ?

When I watch back over villa game even though we were belting out bluemoon, Tyler still spoke over it.

It only happens for the dippers. Every bloody game sky BT etc stop talking over YNWA.

Might only be a small childish thing but it really annoys me. If you do it for the dippers do it for all the clubs that have a song.

Its clearly a biased thing to try and show of the dippers support around the world.

But it's just another example of how the press/media treat the dippers different to ofher clubs.

Some truth in that interest in Manchester City globally seems to have overtaken that of our rivals you mentioned which is more important than any alleged comparative fanbase to tv and commercial exposure.

Fan base is less relavant than interest as there are so many more clubs. Shirt sales are only comparative so irrelevant as are many other quoted measures.
I would say that City are the most discussed and video clips shown cf our PL rivals on Spanish TV.

I love rawk! ...from son of spion over at nutter central

It's down to jealousy. Sadly, we live in a country that is steeped in jealousy and envy. A country that relishes and lauds failure as somehow glorious, whilst sniping at winners. It's the English way.

They see us as outsiders because we don't embrace their archaic, toxic ways. We work hard to win and, when we do, we celebrate it the way it should be celebrated. With fun and humour. Those outside of it hate seeing it. They wish it was them but, because it isn't, they pour scorn instead.

Personally, I'm happy to be disliked by those people. I don't want their approval or their respect, because I don't respect them or their negative, insular outlook.

If we win, they hurt. That's good enough for me. Not because I like other people hurting as such, but because I believe people should reap what they sow.

Abu Dhabi? Well they have no identity, they don't know how to celebrate and enjoy anything. They get about a thousand miserable faces at their parades and their trophies and parades are forgotten about the next day. No one really notices them or cares. In contrast, we are not only noticed, but actively obsessed over by most of the country. We live in the heads of most of English football. We are hot topic all year round. Our success hurts the bitter, the small-minded, the envious, the jealous and those who hate real winners in life. Sadly, this country is choc-full of such sour people. It's ingrained into the English psyche. Therefore, a club like ours, with a fanbase like ours, will attract the ire of that kind of person.

I learned years ago that in life it's better to be disliked for what you are, than be liked for something you're not. So, I say fuck the rest, and their self-harming fetish for seeing sportswashers killing the game they say they love. We are who and what we are. We celebrate what we win, and when we win we win legitimately. Abu Dhabi can say none of those things. The bitter, the sour, the envious and the jealous can just get on being consumed by their own bile and negativity
When will these pricks ever get it? The reason why they're despised so much by so many other fanbases isn't to do with the club itself and any success they might have. Sure, their owner is a scrawny-necked ****, Klopp is an annoying fucker at times, and they have horrible twats like Robertson playing for them but all that pales into insignificance against the main reason - their fanbase which is reviled across the nation. One that is even arguably more insufferable than United's and that's some fucking achievement. Of course, I know it's not all Liverpool fans and we've got our own dickheads but when you try and explain it to the mouth-breathers on Twatter it's all fingers in ears and heads in the sand.

And the way the press/media dont talk over YNWA, what's all that about ?

When I watch back over villa game even though we were belting out bluemoon, Tyler still spoke over it.

It only happens for the dippers. Every bloody game sky BT etc stop talking over YNWA.

Might only be a small childish thing but it really annoys me. If you do it for the dippers do it for all the clubs that have a song.

Its clearly a biased thing to try and show of the dippers support around the world.

But it's just another example of how the press/media treat the dippers different to ofher clubs.
Ofcorse the media are biased... Media darlings were always United and Liverpool... might have something to do with them having global reach fanbases... can remember talking to a journalist back in the 80s and complaining that Liverpool beat Benfica away in the old stadium of light in front of 100k in the quarters of the old European Cup yet the back page of the Mirror had a picture of Bryan Robson with all sorts of arrows in his body with details of all the injuries he had in his career... the journalist said if we don't put United on the back page our worldwide sales will be down because United fans won't buy that days edition... probably same applies now with SKY subscriptions and how they sell the rights abroad.. United..Liverpool and Chelsea are the main draws in present climate. This is why they build up certain clubs in a biased way...all about money.

You could be half right with that my friend.. truth being I am older and hanker for the old days.. you think a lot of older generations fall into that category... who knows there might be a few of you in years to come despite all the glory and success which has come your way over last few years will yearn for the old meat and potato pies in the Kippax and walk through skinners alley.. I don’t know.
I don’t mind getting a bit of stick on here.. all part of the banter.. am a scouser like to think am fair minded and I say if you give it you should expect to take it..
I'm glad you read my post as the "gentle prod with a grin attached" as it was intended, and not as a "punch and a sneering scowl" that I thought it may have sounded. :) We all yearn for the past mate, it's only natural to feel a bit of nostalgia, but times change and no matter how much we would like it to be how it was, it'll never be, and I'll never be able to buy a packet of Spangles and a can of Quatro ever again! That's just the way it is. Maine Road's a fucking Aldi now! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.