Raheem Sterling | Joins Chelsea for £50m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not his biggest fan. The easy chances scuffed (followed by the inane grin thereafter). The inability to control the ball conceding easy possession. The indecision when offered too much time to think. The delaying of attacks whilst he cuts inside. However, the stats don't lie. He will be a major loss in terms of attacking threat.

To think that we may lose both Jesus & Sterling from our attack leaves it light on pace. I know Haaland is no slouch but he will play centrally. Alvarez - who knows (wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him for a few months while he beds in).

So potentially a top 3 from Haaland, Alvarez, Grealish, Mahrez, Foden, Palmer. Not convinced that Grealish is suited out wide but who knows what Pep is planning ? I suspect that it'll be another stage of the evolution of Pep's City. Bring it on.

Sure - but I was responding to a post which focused on Palmer as the replacement for Stirling and Jesus, when it's clear he's the smallest part of that solution.

It's also nothing like saying Cancelo would replace Walker - Cancelo was our most used player last year, so he can't replace anyone. It's closer to Pep saying that Foden is replacing David Silva. Clearly Foden was already here, but he was playing a lot less, and now he's a full part of the squad.

I realise Alvarez and Palmer aren't proven (and even Haaland might find the PL a challenge), but surely that's the case with all changes? Pep was happy to let Torres go because he was sure Palmer was ready to step up if needed. Reports are that they are more confident Alvarez will be able to step up more quickly than when they bought him. (Bear in mind that Alvarez has an almost identical record to Darwin Nunez over the past 12 months, is the same age, and is coming from a league that is statistically tougher for strikers than the Portuguese one).

We'll have Foden, Mahrez, Grealish, Silva, Haaland, Alvaraz and Palmer available for three spots up front. With that talent, there's no need to focus on Palmer at all, and adding someone else who is proven doesn't look to be a priority to me.

That is fair. We could go round in circles forever with the who replaces who discussion. For example if Palmer is replacing Torres, then he isn't also replacing Sterling. Which is a big difference btw, because even in his worst season Sterling will have contribted some 25 goals in scored and assisted combined, which lets not bullshit ourselves, Palmer will not do next year. Alvarez doing it would be huge, but probably unlikely too. Every such argument people have made that this replaces that combination, has always without fail come up short. It always will. So instead of arguing ways in which Sterling will be replaced, just accept the point made is he won't be and doesnt need replaced, which is a valid opinion.

I myself disagree, I think he must and will be replaced with a similarly capable player or we are in trouble. Same with Ake. And Zinch. Gabi is different for me, his contribution I think can be absorbed without a replacement. The others' can't, I just don't see it, and I don't yet see a scenario in which the club would be irresponsible to not try.

I thought the same when I watched hi goals, a lot of being in the right place at the right time. A skill in its own right, as I know from when I played (I never was!)
I imagined a hussle bustle traditional centre forward not suited to parked buses ,was plesently suprised

Not his biggest fan. The easy chances scuffed (followed by the inane grin thereafter). The inability to control the ball conceding easy possession. The indecision when offered too much time to think. The delaying of attacks whilst he cuts inside. However, the stats don't lie. He will be a major loss in terms of attacking threat.

To think that we may lose both Jesus & Sterling from our attack leaves it light on pace. I know Haaland is no slouch but he will play centrally. Alvarez - who knows (wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him for a few months while he beds in).

So potentially a top 3 from Haaland, Alvarez, Grealish, Mahrez, Foden, Palmer. Not convinced that Grealish is suited out wide but who knows what Pep is planning ? I suspect that it'll be another stage of the evolution of Pep's City. Bring it on.

I'm hoping that Foden and Haaland will give us enough pace together.

Also, I still think we might replace Sterling this window, so who knows?

I think we’re just a bit light on options. It’s more that I’m disappointed having finally replaced Aguero we then let two very good attacking players leave. I’d like to have seen Sterling link up with Haaland, and Jesus come in if Haaland needs to miss any games.
Fair enough...but we're not weaker...we're different...and we may still have one more move up our sleeve...

What would be circumstances that would cause us to rue the decision in January? Not being awkward, genuinely asking btw.
Just worried about injuries - if we don’t get an international standard replacement for both Raz & Gabby. Our squad isn’t the biggest

It’s mad to attempt to compare Sterling to Haaland to make a point because they’re completely different players that play different roles.
Sterling makes chances by getting in behind a back line to create chaos in a defence - his movement unbalances a defence and mostly makes chances for others.
His stats are undeniably fantastic for a winger - check them out and let them sink in maybe?

I’ll be sorry to see him go but accept that it’s probably about time and, if he does, then we’ll move on and improve for sure.
What baffles me is that tools on here are ignoring all he’s done for us as a winger and are giving him needless bitter criticism for not having the skills of a striker.
Well said. He isn’t an out & out striker. He’s a winger who’s scored an inordinate number of goals. I for one will miss him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.