Has the BBC become a Tory tool?

Did the cost of City's bench still get mentioned?

This bench is fukin expensive

3a1bce68dd8ca8396bebea75a6b3af6b.png

No no no.

You said that comparing this governments policies to 1930s Germany was holocaust denial.

Thats what Joan salter did.
No, you need to improve your comprehension skills. What is said was, and I quote “I’m not saying that this kind of comparison can never be done”. If a holocaust survivor sees a connection based on their experience then they obviously have more leeway than someone like Lineker who does not have that background.

Likewise, it is understandable that a holocaust survivor would be prone to over sensitivity to such issues, and that their judgement might be skewed by that, as all of our judgements are informed by our life experiences. I think they have every right to talk about their experiences, I don’t think that same right extends to those who never suffered the same fate. It doesn’t mean they are right, of course.

He has no need and nothing personal to gain, you’re right about that. He feels obligated to use his fame for something positive, not just for his own satisfaction

He’s not a news presenter, and even the BBC’s news presenters have for years written far more opinionated things on twitter and in papers.

There’s no comparison to be made with Pep talking about City, because Gary Linekar isn’t employed in the political sphere. He doesn’t work in politics, nor in political coverage

A comparison can be made with Pep talking about politics, which he has even used City pressers to do in the case of Catalan independence.

The comparison I was making in my previous post was highlighting the low/high public profile of the poster, not the subject matter.

If I posted that the government were shit*, who would care? if Pep posted that on twitter then there would be a pile on from all areas of society.

This is why I think lineker should have exercised caution as he is undoubtedly high profile.

I am not sure how different our views are, but it seems to matter more to you so I will leave it there as I dont intend to offend anyone.

*not necessarily my real opinion, just an example to highlight my point, so no politically motivated replies please.

Lack of commentary 'unacceptable' - Royal National Institute of Blind People​

The charity says the BBC "needs to do better" after a lack of commentary made Match of the Day inaccessible to vision impaired audiences yesterday.
In a tweet, the Royal National Institute of Blind People says "the BBC should be upholding basic accessibility standards so that everyone can enjoy their output."
They were responding to a tweet by a blind content creator, who claimed the lack of commentary was a breach of the BBC's 2010 Equality Act.
Yesterday's programme featured 20 minutes of match highlights with no presenter, pundits, or commentary - just natural sound from the game.

No, you need to improve your comprehension skills. What is said was, and I quote “I’m not saying that this kind of comparison can never be done”. If a holocaust survivor sees a connection based on their experience then they obviously have more leeway than someone like Lineker who does not have that background.

Likewise, it is understandable that a holocaust survivor would be prone to over sensitivity to such issues, and that their judgement might be skewed by that, as all of our judgements are informed by our life experiences. I think they have every right to talk about their experiences, I don’t think that same right extends to those who never suffered the same fate. It doesn’t mean they are right, of course.

The comparison doesn’t change its meaning based on who says it. One might be more informed, sure, but the statement cannot be valid from one and holocaust denial when someone agrees with them.

Plus if your argument is that no one but holocaust survivors can speak to 1930s Germany then what the hell are you doing arguing that there’s no comparison - unless you were there?

The comparison doesn’t change its meaning based on who says it. One might be more informed, sure, but the statement cannot be valid from one and holocaust denial when someone agrees with them.

Plus if your argument is that no one but holocaust survivors can speak to 1930s Germany then what the hell are you doing arguing that there’s no comparison - unless you were there?
I’m discussing the issue directly. Lineker was using it rhetorically to emphasise a point. There is a difference. If you stomp round saying everything that annoys you is like the Nazis then you’re trivialising the evils of the Nazis.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.