PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

I bumped into an old buddy in town today, he's an Evertonian, we went for a coffee and he told me the following, strictly on the QT...
The week before the charges were announced four clubs demanded a video conference with PL Chief Exec Richard Masters. One of the clubs execs led the meeting let's say "TH". He requested the latest status of the PL investigation into MCFC. He was told it was effectively stalled with no progress. Then on behalf of all four clubs TH demanded the PL proceed with all possible charges irrespective of the prospects of winning. After a series of threats were made by TH, Masters capitulated and agreed to rush the charges through before the announcement of the White Paper. That's why there were so many errors in the published charges requiring numerous corrections.The club are confident this is a golden opportunity to resolve these issues once and for all.
That sounds amazing but after what happened with UEFA, who sanctioned us with not a scrap of evidence, then I suppose anything is possible.

I bumped into an old buddy in town today, he's an Evertonian, we went for a coffee and he told me the following, strictly on the QT...
The week before the charges were announced four clubs demanded a video conference with PL Chief Exec Richard Masters. One of the clubs execs led the meeting let's say "TH". He requested the latest status of the PL investigation into MCFC. He was told it was effectively stalled with no progress. Then on behalf of all four clubs TH demanded the PL proceed with all possible charges irrespective of the prospects of winning. After a series of threats were made by TH, Masters capitulated and agreed to rush the charges through before the announcement of the White Paper. That's why there were so many errors in the published charges requiring numerous corrections.The club are confident this is a golden opportunity to resolve these issues once and for all.
If true, and they did it to ward off the white paper, then it could massively backfire. The white paper was announced anyway, and the FA will be humiliated if the charges were made with insufficient evidence. Let's hope the four clubs can be brought down too.

Their original concern was as I remember that football was a special sector of business so normal business methods were not applicable.

Our owner has proved that theory to be wrong. The basic FFP rules were simply a rip off of normal business practice in the real world. Obviously they changed debt to be ok and investment to be strictly controlled and presented it as novel financial and fair control.

There they are correct because I am unaware of any other sector of normal business that restricts investment yet seems to condone debt.

Just an opinion.
Debt has always been an accepted way of raising capital for investment; what is not allowed by law is any attempt to prohibit or limit investment. No "sporting exception" gets a mention anywhere.

At the very least that sounds feasible (apart from the threats from Spurs !). Assuming the other clubs on the call were Liverpool, United and Arsenal, you have the prime movers with the Super League and therefore the most dissatisfied with the status quo…it may explain why Levy was personally called out at Pep’s presser (and why we’ve not heard a squeak from him in response or indeed since). I wondered what motivated the club to single him out like that.

Encouraging to see Alvarez sign a new contract. You’d imagine his agent would’ve sought assurances from the club regarding the charges before he agreed a deal. He has no shortage of suitors, so his agent wouldn’t get him to commit his future to a club that are in deep shit.

I guess there’s probably some kind of escape clause for the worst case scenario, but at least it shows that current players aren’t looking to jump ship and, presumably, that potential transfer targets won’t be deterred from joining in the summer.

That and the North Stand expansion plans suggest that the club aren’t bluffing with their confident, bullish stance on the charges.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.