Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent article by Matt Dickinson, thanks for posting. MD could've added a couple of things to his review of the history of this kind of football we've been witnessing from City in recent years:

1 Jack Reynolds
Started at City with his brother in the late 1890s as a right-winger. Didn't play for the first team (had some Welsh herbert ahead of him, name of Meredith..!) and pursued a career in the lower divisions.

Eventually went into coaching, mainly in Holland between the wars, where he eventually developed the style of play which bloomed post-WWII into the 'Dutch School', further shaped by fellow Englishman Vic Buckingham (ex-Sheff Wed and Fulham), then Ernst Happel and Rinus Michels, managers of THAT Dutch squad of the 1970s.

Among many of the things espoused by Reynolds, his observation 'We ignore the wings at our peril' (ie 'stretch the play and space available') was one of the most important tactical set-ups that his followers took on board.

And, of course, everything that developed within that amazing Dutch squad was taken on board by Johann Cruyff, who went to Barcelona and Arigho Sacchi, who took it to AC Milan.

But initially it was all the brainchild of Jack Reynolds, who started at 'lickle' City and is to this day referred to as 'The Father of Dutch Football'!

2 Jonathan Wilson
His excellent, outstanding book, referred to above by MD, ends at the time when Sacchi's AC Milan's dominance had just concluded. Wilson describes how Sacchi mused on what might be coming next, how (or even if?) football might find ways to develop into the next iteration. Wilson's final chapter has him wondering, like Sacchi, if there actually could be new direction(s) for football to follow?

Of course, we now know that Guardiola's Barcelona was taking shape there and then, under the guidance of Cruyff behind the scenes.

And now City.. how blessed are we to see such wonders?!
If only the sports editor thought erm do a little extra research to add depth & insight to the article rather than just "its ok just add a few bits about state wealth to pad it out and publish".

Playing fifa 99 maybe :)

This has just reminded me, think Tuesday night in the Muen they did a simulation of the semifinal on a computer game FIFA maybe??

Anyway Madrid beat us 4 - 2, course they would! Just standard dogshit reporting from our "local" paper. Think a lot of these churnos are going to be replaced by chat GP, pretty soon.....

Holt is everything that is bad about the shameful English football media. He really is an ego on legs. If he was a lollipop he would lick himself to death. I wouldn't wipe my arse anything that he writes. A self important, pompous prick of the highest order.
Agreed, he doesnt reply to emails, he is so far up himself, in his convertable .

This has just reminded me, think Tuesday night in the Muen they did a simulation of the semifinal on a computer game FIFA maybe??

Anyway Madrid beat us 4 - 2, course they would! Just standard dogshit reporting from our "local" paper. Think a lot of these churnos are going to be replaced by chat GP, pretty soon.....
Don’t forget The Sun “Supercomputer“ of Manchester United 99 v Manchester City 23 game they predicted the outcome of.

Spoiler alert. It wasn’t City.

Jesus. The Guardian are scraping the barrel with this.

"Share your views" my arse.
Give us your clicks, cretins, as we can't make money selling newspapers anymore, and someone may give you a like.
Oh, btw, we aren't even a newspaper anymore as we're going to create the "news" depending upon what you tell us.

The floppy haired **** moving the goalposts already. Didn't take him long.

View attachment 79709

Chatting with a mate of mine last night who now lives over in Vancouver about Istanbul. We came to the conclusion it might be best abd wait and see if we made Wembley next season. We joked that the football world will implode if we complete a double treble at a 3/4 full Wembley..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.