VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Have seen a LOT of mentions all over of the Rodri "handball" apology recently - despite the angle not actually being clear, and the fact that if they'd decided it was a penalty, they would probably have checked the offside for Richarlison, and so ruled no penalty, I was curious about something else...

Pep made a comment saying they'd given offside, and he seemed to have suggested this was the Richarlison offside. However it's not. The ball went out for a throw and the offside came from the subsequent play.

What struck me, given last week's incident, is should VAR even have been allowed to consider the potential handball. If the ball goes dead after an incident, then VAR is supposed to ask to pause the game. Once the game has restarted, VAR isn't supposed to have the power to conduct a review - as we've found out just this week.

I realise this has now changed, but it looks like they did exactly what they said couldn't be done in Liverpool's case.

''This is the 6th occasion this season the PGMOL have apologised for penalties The Potters should have received only 10 games into the season
The refereeing standard in the EFL continues to decline with debatable decisions being made on a weekly basis, maybe it’s time for VAR? ''

You never read this bit.

You assumed the apology was for bad decisions with VAR.
Were the referees involved in these decisions ones that are used to having the crutch of VAR in their normal premier league jobs?

Last edited:
This is great to see; fans having their say and, unsurprisingly, fucking it off. They’d shit ten thousand bricks if it went to a fan vote here. Because it would be rightly fucked off. Chapeau to the Swedes:

it is very strange this Olivar was a referee in UEA so he must be on the take for City.
Why does so many think that business people from the Arab world is stupid ?

it is very strange this Olivar was a referee in UEA so he must be on the take for City.
Why does so many think that business people from the Arab world is stupid ?
It's a projection from yanks.

I get the impression, (I maybe wrong) that the Arabic nations are planning ahead for hundreds of years (Saudi The line project) whilst the western business model is a short term capitalist vulture model.

They need a better host than Mr Personality on this VAR show.

My one quibble was the conversation in the Chelsea game. When the ref is looking for the Chelsea player to send off. Someone in VAR says "He's got the TV signal. Just put his hands on his hips."

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

I'm surprised it didn't mention Kova. Maybe Webb didn't want to make two apologies in one show?

They need a better host than Mr Personality on this VAR show.

My one quibble was the conversation in the Chelsea game. When the ref is looking for the Chelsea player to send off. Someone in VAR says "He's got the TV signal. Just put his hands on his hips."

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

I'm surprised it didn't mention Kova. Maybe Webb didn't want to make two apologies in one show?
He has already made the point than in his opinion Kovo was lucky to stay on the pitch, something which hundreds of us agreed on also during and after the game.
By all accounts (according to some Blue Mooners on here) Oliver hates us ... well aren`t we just lucky he doesn`t despise us as I dread to think what outcome he may have given.

So Webb says kovacic was lucky to remain on the pitch ( which the majority of us would agree with) but he fortunately for him did stay on the pitch,what’s the odds on them looking to level it up and some sort of incident going against us in the next couple of games..

I don't remember this sort of outcry when Nketiah should of been off v spurs. Arsenal playing the victim but its easy to make out you are hard done to when your favorable decisions don't get highlighted.

City had the same situation v Wolves last week, no outcry no highlighting of the decision, wasn't even on ref watch. So people forget and move on.
On Sunday Kova should of been off. What is ignored is, for the rest of the game the ref was heavily in favor of Arsenal. The goal they scored doesn't happen for us, as the ref was giving arsenal those fouls that we didn't get in the build up to the goal.

Now I have seen bitter fans bringing up how many apologies teams have received in games against us and we have received 0 apologies. Well if we aren't getting an apology v the rags last season then we never will and its irrelevant to compare.
The Rodri one is also brought out every time we get a decision, a week or so later Liverpool played Everton that season. They got away with penalties and red cards in that game against everton. Yet because sky didnt cry about it and it wasnt heavily brought up in the media people forget. The narrative is that we should of drew vs Everton and Liverpool deserved a gritty win.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.