10 | Jack Grealish - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does suggest Pep’s not happy with him but who knows! If there isn’t something going on in training it seems a bit odd. For me aside from a 3/4 month purple patch last season Jack has played similar in the majority of his games. Keeps the ball superbly, works hard for the team, wins countless free kicks but not much of a goal threat.

Had a boss who used to do this with everyone under his command. Just used to suggest, quite insidiously, that you could always do better. It was manipulative, but nothing wrong with that. This is Manchester City Football Club and there's no room for any but the best.
Quite different comment to that about Kalvin being overweight (i.e. fat, for a footballer). That was humiliating and, I think, a bit of a mistake. This isn't.

One of the quotes from that Pep interview is "the players don't need to convince me. They need to convince themselves that they deserve to play" which I'd interpret as referring to a lack of confidence and self-belief.

Of course Pep knows an enormous amount more about man-management in general and Jack's personality specifically than I do, but that feels like a risky approach.

Jack does have a history of coming out fighting in the face of criticism and doubt, but he's always been quite an emotional player and if the starting point is low confidence I can't help but think private encouragement might be more effective than a public challenge.

But Pep is the manager and he doesn't often get these things wrong. I hope Jack's done enough in training since his injury to earn some decent game time, build up a rhythm and get back to his best. There's no denying that his best often seems to come when he's a bit pissed off, so hopefully Pep's comments will spur him on.

Does suggest Pep’s not happy with him but who knows! If there isn’t something going on in training it seems a bit odd. For me aside from a 3/4 month purple patch last season Jack has played similar in the majority of his games. Keeps the ball superbly, works hard for the team, wins countless free kicks but not much of a goal threat.
Always seems he’s playing to Peps “instructions“ of not losing/giving the ball away as opposed to Doku who appears to do his “own thing” when on the ball……..
Never see Jack lose possession like Doku does…

What Pep actually said:

Pep Guardiola when asked what kind of impact a fit Jack Grealish can have: “Hopefully the impact he had last season. It depends on him. If he played a lot of minutes last season and this season a little bit less in the beginning… it’s the same player, same manager, same way we want to play, nothing has changed. It’s just how he performs, that’s the difference. And we need him, he has a special quality for our team. We need him, it depends on him. Hopefully he can do a good last few months. The players don’t have to convince me, they have to convince themselves that they deserve to play.”, as per Beanyman Sports.

i wouldnt read too much into what the public funded Salford troll farm are babbling on about. they ask question about Grealish so they can then bang on about £100m blah blah blah its puerile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.