10 | Jack Grealish - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quality post.

After all, what was he really great at tonight mate?

I thought Walker and Dias were ace, Gvardiol was effective and silky though it’s clear it wil take him a while to embed into our way of doing things, Akanji was much improved on Wednesday night, Kova was fabulous in tandem with Rodri building a really effective understanding, Phil was off the scale, Julian scored a belter without even looking so can overlook the odd error, Haaland missed loads but his record is amazing so he’s exempt.

What Jack did well was keep the ball, like you say, we have plenty who can do that.

Brilliant performance from the team overall.
I’m definitely a Clapper not a Flapper.
Then who covered the huge left side and enable Pep to deploy so many players on the right hand side? It is always easier to play when you have teammates closer to you and pass to. But it means someone has to cover the rest of the pitch.

It used to be Walker in the old days when everyone focused on the left and him alone covered our back. Grealish is not Walker level contribution but he is on the way to it.

Jack did a job tonight, and it was an important one.

But I was disappointed in his contribution going forward. His ‘la pausa’ was a bit arhythmic, often slowing down when we needed to speed up, and vice versa. Pep had a go at home a few times in the second half, so I assume he may have felt similarly (at least, that Grealish wasn’t quite performing to expectations).

That said, it’s only the second match, against a tough opponent, that were targeting him all night, whilst a spineless ref allowed it, so all things should be considered in balance.

I think it's time to accept grealish is what he is. Great at keeping possession,wining free kicks and keeping the team shape. The inability to beat the full back, Cross or shoot without hitting the first defender we are going to have to accept because there has been no improvement in that side of things since he arrived here.

Better last night. Worked harder and tried to run at the box much more than against Sevilla and Arsenal.

I thought he was a problem against Sevilla, constantly cutting back and inside where all the traffic was. Last night he ran at the box and tried to do something.

Although he makes it obvious to all defenders when he wants to shoot and takes too long to do it at times, at least he was looking for the shot and trying to create the space for the shot much more than in the Arsenal and Sevilla games.

Best thing last night though was that I thought he was excellent defensively.

I often sigh when he cuts back when there’s a counter on, but it’s down to Pep that. I’m not complaining about it either, we should all know by know that Pep wants control, not chaos. Several times last night when we could have gone on a counter attack only for Jack to slow it down, but it was at a time when we were looking a bit leggy and Newcastle were trying to gain momentum.

I often sigh when he cuts back when there’s a counter on, but it’s down to Pep that. I’m not complaining about it either, we should all know by know that Pep wants control, not chaos. Several times last night when we could have gone on a counter attack only for Jack to slow it down, but it was at a time when we were looking a bit leggy and Newcastle were trying to gain momentum.
I’m not sure that is down to Pep. You often see him doing his nut on the touchline when players don’t take an opportunity to go forward when it’s on.

And when players do try something positive that doesn’t come off, you often see him applauding them for the effort in trying.

I think it's time to accept grealish is what he is. Great at keeping possession,wining free kicks and keeping the team shape. The inability to beat the full back, Cross or shoot without hitting the first defender we are going to have to accept because there has been no improvement in that side of things since he arrived here.

You speak for yourself,as the majority accepted what he's all about,and are very content with such,a good while back.

There will always be those who cant get over their grudges though.

Think you’ve got to accept Jack for what he is. He’ll never be a huge output player but he does offer real tangible benefits in other ways that make him a valuable part of the team. I was a big critic but you can see what he brings to the table outside of goals and assists, so as long as he keeps doing that and we keep getting the goals from elsewhere I won’t have any complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.