10 | Jack Grealish - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
His last two seasons at Villa, he got 17 goals and 18 assists in 58 games all comps. He was also statistically one of the best creative players in Europe.

He's been stuck out on the left, hugging the touchline - we haven't seen him with an overlapping full back or with the freedom to drift inside - both of which he had at Villa.

It's worked well enough for the team's needs, particularly last season, but now the team is evolving again.

Personally, I don't think that evolution has to be a bad thing for Jack. I think it could be an opportunity to finally get the best version of him.

I'd love to see him as an 8/10. I think he has all the attributes. I know Pep has refused to play him there, so maybe it's not likely. But if he is going to play out wide, he needs more freedom to drift centrally. And a genuine left back behind him.

Agreed he will be great sat into the middle of the pitch

Agreed he will be great sat into the middle of the pitch
We've never played him to his strengths. It's painful to watch such a talented player being stuck out wide every game.

Should be playing a central role with Phil Foden on a regular basis.

As matters stand, De Bruyne is blocking progress.

Why are we back to talking about him playing in the middle all of a sudden? He's never done it, even at villa he played off the left.

pep loves to play players in different positions, if he thought Grealish could do it, it would have been tried by now. 3 years in and not a whiff of a midfield role even when weve been short in that area and people are still inexplicably suggesting peps playing him out of position by playing him in the position he's always played. His best bet of being more adaptable to pep is being an option off the right rather than central but thats unlikely. He's a left winger, if he isn't playing there for us, he won't be playing at all.

Grealish is the opposite to what Pep wants in central midfield, he typically wants his midfielders to keep the ball moving quickly, grealish likes to hold the ball, carry it and draw fouls, the exact opposite, why are so many not seeing or ignoring the very obvious conflict there?

He's not changing positions and he's not being sold. Doku is ahead of him now and will only get better, it's upto grealish to rise to the challenge.

I'd offer him back to Villa as a direct swap for Leon Bailey tomorrow. We need a goal threat on the wide right and this is the man. Doku left, Bailey right, Haaland centre.

Grealish is a square peg in an ever rounding hole and unless he develops the ability to play with his head up, pick passes and start scoring from distance, any chance he could be KDB's replacement centrally is for the birds. That's the only role he could possibly fit now (as he ain't no winger) and I just don't see it happening. To be honest, his medal haul and wages received for what he's actually done in 3 years, is almost making Scott Carson's medals and wages look well earned.

Why are we back to talking about him playing in the middle all of a sudden? He's never done it, even at villa he played off the left.

pep loves to play players in different positions, if he thought Grealish could do it, it would have been tried by now. 3 years in and not a whiff of a midfield role even when weve been short in that area and people are still inexplicably suggesting peps playing him out of position by playing him in the position he's always played. His best bet of being more adaptable to pep is being an option off the right rather than central but thats unlikely. He's a left winger, if he isn't playing there for us, he won't be playing at all.

Grealish is the opposite to what Pep wants in central midfield, he typically wants his midfielders to keep the ball moving quickly, grealish likes to hold the ball, carry it and draw fouls, the exact opposite, why are so many not seeing or ignoring the very obvious conflict there?

He's not changing positions and he's not being sold. Doku is ahead of him now and will only get better, it's upto grealish to rise to the challenge.

He was more central playing fr Villa

I don't think he will ever have the goal output to play in the front 3 but I think he would make a cracking attacking full back . Good tackler ok with his head.

He was more central playing fr Villa
What worries me a bit about Jack is if fans are says no he can’t play anywhere other than LW then it limits both his options and ours as a team. Most of our other midfield players/wingers could play at least 2 positions pretty well. Even Doku has had a go central v Newcastle and on the right a couple of times and will get better.
I suppose Riyad was fairly one dimensional but if Jack stays think he does have a lot to offer further inside and could be moulded into a good CM

What worries me a bit about Jack is if fans are says no he can’t play anywhere other than LW then it limits both his options and ours as a team. Most of our other midfield players/wingers could play at least 2 positions pretty well. Even Doku has had a go central v Newcastle and on the right a couple of times and will get better.
I suppose Riyad was fairly one dimensional but if Jack stays think he does have a lot to offer further inside and could be moulded into a good CM
Could play the Kova role making little darts next to Rodri ?

Why the hell did we buy him then if he so clearly was not what we were in need of. (see Phillips and Nunes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.