10 | Jack Grealish - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
The truth is that when he turns on his full attacking mode he's much more exciting to watch, takes more risks, creates more chances, makes stuff happen.

When he's in control mode he's a much more difficult watch, but it's arguably a more difficult job and more important to the team.

There's a load of wingers who could do what he does (or more) going forward. But very few who can do that and dictate the tempo, take the sting out of games when they get chaotic, consistently draw 2 or 3 opponents out of position to create a load of central space, provide endless support to left-backs who are normally not playing in their primary position, and reliably relieve pressure by being a constantly available out-ball when we're playing out from the back and having the ball stick to him incredibly well to prevent opposition attacks.

I love seeing him run at defences and go round the outside and pop balls in with his left foot because he absolutely can do it and it creates chances and it's lots more fun to watch.

But I get the impression that's simply an added bonus to Pep, a side-quest that shouldn't distract from his main task.

I just wish he would do that more often, go down the outside and use his left foot for delivery. He can do it well, as we saw today.

I'm aware he's often instructed to play the way he does, but for me it means he's not utilising his other abilities like he did today, and it's another way of utilising the best finisher in the world, who's also a big lanky fucker that can stick his big blonde head on it.

Even if he just goes that route a couple more times a game, as least defenders will start having to guess which way he's going, rather than them having a head start in their thinking cos they know he is cutting inside.

If Grealish is getting criticised for this then I hope Bernardo's getting the same stick in his thread, at least Jack attempts it a few times a game.

That's the thing. He does a lot of the dirty work in our team. People get frustrated with him for not being more "direct," but he does what Pep wants him to do. I thought he stepped up big time in the second half and was one of our better players. Jack is so talented that even looking at these stats, we know he is capable of being literally unplayable (last season), so he is just getting started. He created that goal out of nothing, though. Job well done.

That's the thing. He does a lot of the dirty work in our team. People get frustrated with him for not being more "direct," but he does what Pep wants him to do. I thought he stepped up big time in the second half and was one of our better players. Jack is so talented that even looking at these stats, we know he is capable of being literally unplayable (last season), so he is just getting started. He created that goal out of nothing, though. Job well done.
The frustration is that he can do all the good stuff he does AND get more than one goal or assist every six or seven games. It doesn’t need to be an either/or situation.

Always in the back of my mind with Grealish is ‘imagine how much City fans would hate Sterling if he put up these numbers’. And they would. There’d be no talk about what else he brings to the team, we’d simply want him sold.

The pressure he takes of our defence especially away from home shouldn't be underestimated how he can attract so many players towards him! The one thing he can improve on is that assist to Haaland he should be working every day on how he can get those sort of crosses in...

The truth is that when he turns on his full attacking mode he's much more exciting to watch, takes more risks, creates more chances, makes stuff happen.

When he's in control mode he's a much more difficult watch, but it's arguably a more difficult job and more important to the team.

There's a load of wingers who could do what he does (or more) going forward. But very few who can do that and dictate the tempo, take the sting out of games when they get chaotic, consistently draw 2 or 3 opponents out of position to create a load of central space, provide endless support to left-backs who are normally not playing in their primary position, and reliably relieve pressure by being a constantly available out-ball when we're playing out from the back and having the ball stick to him incredibly well to prevent opposition attacks.

I love seeing him run at defences and go round the outside and pop balls in with his left foot because he absolutely can do it and it creates chances and it's lots more fun to watch.

But I get the impression that's simply an added bonus to Pep, a side-quest that shouldn't distract from his main task.
He's not allowed to play freely like he was at Aston Villa, so was Mahrez. That's why there were so many passing backwards which are boring to watch. Guardiola always wants his wingers to control the ball over than beating the full backs.

The frustration is that he can do all the good stuff he does AND get more than one goal or assist every six or seven games. It doesn’t need to be an either/or situation.

Always in the back of my mind with Grealish is ‘imagine how much City fans would hate Sterling if he put up these numbers’. And they would. There’d be no talk about what else he brings to the team, we’d simply want him sold.
Id take Grealish everyday over Sterling, he's a far better technical player, but to pretend he hasn't been average over the last 3 months would be fallacy.

I agree, he 'can do more with all the good stuff he does' and that's my stance on Jack, I don't criticise him for his low G/A output but he needs to maintain the rentention and add end product. First half he was poor second better because the whole team improved.

He needs to speed up his decision making. When he backs up the defender on the right wing he holds the ball to long, either pass back (which he does a lot) or take him on inside or outside and put in a cross or shot at this stage in his city career he's still second guessing.

Yep. Total waste of resources,time and money. The world survived , even thrived without them.
Really? So you’d rather a world without maps, science, cars, central heating etc etc

Humans have been gathering & analysing data since the year dot mate, without it, we’d still be living in caves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.