11 | Jeremy Doku - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
It came from a set piece. He was not the last defender(Walker was). Son targeted him. If Doku was on the right side for that set piece Son would run down that route... That is just how Spurs plays. Put son on your weakest link and let him run.
Doku is probably the last man you want to cover against a counter attack
It's a dumb tactical decision that needs to be adressed, he was there again when we scored the first goal
We rarely score on set pieces, we can have someone faster over a long distance covering instead of him

According to a good few he’s our problem. Madness really. A 21 year old who’s been our best player in most games. Whenever the team don’t perform he is part of the problem.
The problem is glaringly obvious to everyone except the man who can do something about it. Rodri being asked to play midfield on his own. An impossible task and needs to be addressed.

Blowing hot and cold and hastily overhyped since he joined, still young though and can improve immensely.
(Mostly) Agreed. I think a lot of City fans are really taking to him because his first thought is always an attacking one. It's just what English fans like to see. "Take your man on and get a cross in", etc. etc. He's tremendous fun to watch, and that first half against Bournemouth was unbelievable stuff. But looking at his Premier League figures for a second - against teams not in the bottom five he's scored 1 goal and made 1 assist in 11 games. That's not really a criticism, just a sign that, if he's happy to have a reputation as a speedy winger who guarantees goals, he needs to improve that side of his game.

Grealish's record is similarly barren this season but he's only been available in fits and starts and brings so much more in terms of structure, rhythm, shape, workrate, etc. when he starts than Doku does. That's only natural and to be expected because Grealish has been here two years while Doku's barely been here two minutes. But while everyone on here would start Doku every week, I'd put Doku on the bench for a few games and tell him to watch Grealish and learn from the highest-performing winger in the Champions League last season. Doku needs to learn when to go, when to hold, when to recycle the ball, and when to pin his fullback - all things that Grealish knows how to do, but only because he was given time to learn. Doku deserves the same patience.

The basics are all there with Doku and he's got amazing potential but he will need to learn how to tie them all together over the next 18 months to two years. I don't think he's been overhyped, though. He's a player worth getting excited about. I just think people eagerly signing Grealish's death warrant are vastly overstating Doku's apparent improvement on Grealish. He runs at his fullback more often but in big games he's become lost and has had virtually no impact. That's not a criticism of Doku cos he's a young lad with time to learn, but when Grealish is fully fit again (and I think during the second half of the season) we'll be seeing a lot less of Doku as Pep educates him in how to become a City great.

Doku will become a City great. He's just not there yet.

Blowing hot and cold and hastily overhyped since he joined, still young though and can improve immensely.
Provide arguments and learn how to debate instead of spitting your feces.
One can equally suggest that you should provide evidence for your assertions. Who has hastily overhyped him? And going by any of the statistics collating sites, he is currently ranked in the top 5 on most of them.

So if he is blowing hot and cold, he is doing so at a better rate than anyone in the league other than Saka and Haaland. So more likely than not, it is you who's grossly underestimating him. He has been the best signing in the league so far this season... Bar none. Its not just City fans saying that. The statistics and performance metrics back it up.

You are making the same error many make, you think a player making mistakes means his overall performance is hot or cold. Wrong. He, just like Haaland, has flaws. But he also has a unique set of skills that severely tilts the balance in his team's favor. The difference when he is on and off the field is like night and day. It's why the metrics favor him and favor City. Even if he makes mistakes and makes the wrong decision ever so often.

Frankly, there is a worry that a lot of his teammates are beginning to expect too much from him as many stop moving and become fans when he gets on the ball.

The Stats don't lie.

(Mostly) Agreed. I think a lot of City fans are really taking to him because his first thought is always an attacking one. It's just what English fans like to see. "Take your man on and get a cross in", etc. etc. He's tremendous fun to watch, and that first half against Bournemouth was unbelievable stuff. But looking at his Premier League figures for a second - against teams not in the bottom five he's scored 1 goal and made 1 assist in 11 games. That's not really a criticism, just a sign that, if he's happy to have a reputation as a speedy winger who guarantees goals, he needs to improve that side of his game.
Let's not stop at the most basic analysis. Against the not-in-the bottom 5 teams, what are his key passes and chances created? And then compare those to any other player in the league against not-in-the-bottom 5 teams.

This kind of parsing someone's stats to exclude the excellent is always bad form, in my opinion.

It's like saying, except for when someone performs well, they have really been poor, haven't they? But if you are going to do it, compare it to similarly compiled stats for other players in the league excluding when they played well.
Grealish's record is similarly barren this season but he's only been available in fits and starts and brings so much more in terms of structure, rhythm, shape, workrate, etc. when he starts than Doku does.
No he doesn't. Not this season... WIth the exception of workrate, which is phenomenal from Grealish. Ryhthm, Shape, structure are all far better with Doku.

That's only natural and to be expected because Grealish has been here two years while Doku's barely been here two minutes. But while everyone on here would start Doku every week, I'd put Doku on the bench for a few games and tell him to watch Grealish and learn from the highest-performing winger in the Champions League last season.
Last season being the key word here. He hasn't done anything better than Doku this season. Poor form or Doku has raised the bar. Either way, he simply hasn't been as good THIS* Season.

Doku needs to learn when to go, when to hold, when to recycle the ball, and when to pin his fullback - all things that Grealish knows how to do. The basics are all there but he will need to learn how to tie them all together over the next 18 months to two years.
No he doesn't. Matter of fact Grealish could learn a thing or 2 about when to hurry the pace or take on a defender earlier. But they generally face different challenges. Defenders simply aren't scared of Grealish, even though he is a fantastic player and can control, pass, and beat a player when he needs to. Defenders are terrified of Doku. And so are managers. 2 Players almost always flow towards him when he gets the ball. He changes the landscape when he is on the field. Whether he is playing well or poorly, the other team reacts differently than when Grealish or anyone else for that matter is out on the left.
I don't think he's been overhyped, though. He's a player worth getting excited about. I just think people eagerly signing Grealish's death warrant are vastly overstating Doku's apparent improvement on Grealish. He runs at his fullback more often but in big games he's become lost and has had virtually no impact. That's not a criticism of Doku cos he's a young lad with time to learn, but when Grealish is fully fit again (and I think during the second half of the season) we'll be seeing a lot less of Doku as Pep educates him in how to become a City great.

Doku will become a City great. He's just not there yet.
Finally, You are right; he is not overhyped. He has a set of skills that is dangerous, and teams react to it. And it gives us an advantage often. Yes, he can become more consistent and figure out how to make better decisions more often. But that will be best learned by playing, not sitting on the bench watching someone with a different skill set.

According to a good few he’s our problem. Madness really. A 21 year old who’s been our best player in most games. Whenever the team don’t perform he is part of the problem.
I’m sure there are some people that think he is the problem, but it’s very few (most people think it’s the other 21 yo we signed, who they want sold). I do think he is mentioned a lot of times when people talk about how City is playing differently this year (more up front, fewer in mid-field). But most are careful to point out it is a shape issue (which he has no control over), not a skill issue. And he’s just mentioned because he’s the “face” of this new City. I feel like he’s really admired by the media - the broadcasters in the US love him. Even if he wasn’t playing well, I don’t understand the number of fans who so quickly dismiss new players.

One can equally suggest that you should provide evidence for your assertions. Who has hastily overhyped him? And going by any of the statistics collating sites, he is currently ranked in the top 5 on most of them.

So if he is blowing hot and cold, he is doing so at a better rate than anyone in the league other than Saka and Haaland. So more likely than not, it is you who's grossly underestimating him. He has been the best signing in the league so far this season... Bar none. Its not just City fans saying that. The statistics and performance metrics back it up.

You are making the same error many make, you think a player making mistakes means his overall performance is hot or cold. Wrong. He, just like Haaland, has flaws. But he also has a unique set of skills that severely tilts the balance in his team's favor. The difference when he is on and off the field is like night and day. It's why the metrics favor him and favor City. Even if he makes mistakes and makes the wrong decision ever so often.

Frankly, there is a worry that a lot of his teammates are beginning to expect too much from him as many stop moving and become fans when he gets on the ball.

The Stats don't lie.
Surprised you took the time out to reply his post. Read through his post history. He seems to have this weird resentment towards anyone brought in to play on the wings.

Apparently he's a huge Mahrez fan boy and the club didn't "treat him well" so now he has a vendetta against anyone who's brought in to replace the football god FFS. He had some snide remarks for Palmer when he was here also.

He has/had a partner in crime who went by the username @Isaac the Forgemaster haven't heard from that clown for a while.

Doku is probably the last man you want to cover against a counter attack
It's a dumb tactical decision that needs to be adressed, he was there again when we scored the first goal
We rarely score on set pieces, we can have someone faster over a long distance covering instead of him
Who? Halaand?

Most defenders except Walker go inside the box for set pieces plus Rodri and Halaand. Bernardo is hardly quick. Foden and Alvarez are likely taking the set piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.