11 | Jeremy Doku - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Struggled to pick up the pace of the game, pep was livid and rightly so but he picked up eventually. The threat he posed helped change the game in our favour. Kdb looking for him everytime he got the ball just shows you kev knows how much of a threat Doku is. That paring with haaland in the middle brings an extra dimension to the team.

His mere presence just shut off Porro as an attacking outlet completely and with him and Kevin on the pitch we suddenly looked like opening them up.

He's such a strong weapon even if he's doing relatively little.
Wow, exactly how bad does Doku have to be for people to stop defending him?

And Kevin's looking to play with him and help him out because they're on the Belgian team together and friends. (Kevin probably also gave him a good recommendation when the club asked before finalising the transfer, so he's going to want Jez to do well so that he hasn't recommended a dud.) Anyone else been that poor and Kevin would have passed to anyone else but.

Wow, exactly how bad does Doku have to be for people to stop defending him?

And Kevin's looking to play with him and help him out because they're on the Belgian team together and friends. (Kevin probably also gave him a good recommendation when the club asked before finalising the transfer, so he's going to want Jez to do well so that he hasn't recommended a dud.) Anyone else been that poor and Kevin would have passed to anyone else but.

We already know you have no valuable contribution where Doku's concerned. Your obsession with him and the desire to see him fail, is full scouse.

The very fact you've just suggested the best creator on the planet is playing favourites in trying to regularly find Doku tonight for the simple fact he's the same nationality and would do that over doing what he believes is best for the team is more unnecessary proof, you talk absolute garbage.

(Mostly) Agreed. I think a lot of City fans are really taking to him because his first thought is always an attacking one. It's just what English fans like to see. "Take your man on and get a cross in", etc. etc. He's tremendous fun to watch, and that first half against Bournemouth was unbelievable stuff. But looking at his Premier League figures for a second - against teams not in the bottom five he's scored 1 goal and made 1 assist in 11 games. That's not really a criticism, just a sign that, if he's happy to have a reputation as a speedy winger who guarantees goals, he needs to improve that side of his game.

Grealish's record is similarly barren this season but he's only been available in fits and starts and brings so much more in terms of structure, rhythm, shape, workrate, etc. when he starts than Doku does. That's only natural and to be expected because Grealish has been here two years while Doku's barely been here two minutes. But while everyone on here would start Doku every week, I'd put Doku on the bench for a few games and tell him to watch Grealish and learn from the highest-performing winger in the Champions League last season. Doku needs to learn when to go, when to hold, when to recycle the ball, and when to pin his fullback - all things that Grealish knows how to do, but only because he was given time to learn. Doku deserves the same patience.

The basics are all there with Doku and he's got amazing potential but he will need to learn how to tie them all together over the next 18 months to two years. I don't think he's been overhyped, though. He's a player worth getting excited about. I just think people eagerly signing Grealish's death warrant are vastly overstating Doku's apparent improvement on Grealish. He runs at his fullback more often but in big games he's become lost and has had virtually no impact. That's not a criticism of Doku cos he's a young lad with time to learn, but when Grealish is fully fit again (and I think during the second half of the season) we'll be seeing a lot less of Doku as Pep educates him in how to become a City great.

Doku will become a City great. He's just not there yet.
Will only be repeating myself so I'll just quote what I said two months ago when everyone thought the sun shined out of Doku's arse and that we could simply dispose of Grealish and not notice.

Struggled which is ok but pep rippled him a new one for not getting back. He did listen and improved defensively.

Team comes before individual. He gets that, he will go far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.