11 | Jeremy Doku - 2023/24

First season with us, he's done remarkably well but now isn't the time to persist starting him if he's going to make the same mistakes in possession. It does infuriate me how he's always put on the left so he can cut inside. I just don't understand why he isn't put on the right given how much pace he has.

Everytime he gets the ball on the left there's 2 men waiting for him so all he can do is roll it back. At least if he trys to go on the outside on the right he's on his stronger foot if he gets a cross in. Literally never seen him do that for us despite every pre city clip I've seen of him involves him attacking down the right.

I'd honestly rather see Bobb start at the moment. Seems to have a better pass on him and a bit more football intelligence.
Doku does not like playing on the right side.

There is an interview of Doku's former coach back in November. Quote:

--
That is still true now when Pep Guardiola bought Doku as a right winger after Riyad Mahrez left. The right-hand side: Kompany attempted that as well. He always gravitates back to the left, as has happened at City.

‘Everyone has tried,’ Haegeman laughs. ‘He was playing as a No 9 in the Under 13s. Kindermans asked me to put Jeremy in another position to learn something new. But Jeremy didn’t like it! I saw a good player but not Jeremy. To be honest, before a game, I said: “Jeremy, please… today you will play on the left but please give me 15 minutes on the right side to do your job, so everybody at the club is happy!”’

---

The answer is that he does not like to play on the right.

He made it very clear after that Bournemouth game - "all the G/A came from left". Although - technically he roamed to the right and made a typical right winger assist - but he ignored it and insisted everything coming from left.

The sad fact is that most of our youngsters care too much about goals. Phil Alvarez and Doku - their first instinct and preference are always cutting in and shot - comparing to what Gundo Grealish and Bernado did last season. There is nothing wrong. But the problem is that you cannot have too many players in this category on the pitch at the same time... It makes our attacking quite one dimensional.

First season with us, he's done remarkably well but now isn't the time to persist starting him if he's going to make the same mistakes in possession. It does infuriate me how he's always put on the left so he can cut inside. I just don't understand why he isn't put on the right given how much pace he has.

Everytime he gets the ball on the left there's 2 men waiting for him so all he can do is roll it back. At least if he trys to go on the outside on the right he's on his stronger foot if he gets a cross in. Literally never seen him do that for us despite every pre city clip I've seen of him involves him attacking down the right.

I'd honestly rather see Bobb start at the moment. Seems to have a better pass on him and a bit more football intelligence.
"Remarkably well"
OK.

Why not compare 2 wingers?
Palmer isn't too different from Mahrez who mainly cut inside and had a superb left foot, like Palmer.

We don't know if Palmer would've played the same season had he stayed, and back then I thought it was fine he left.
Hindsight yeah, we have to admit we don't have enough goals from our wingers. Grealish, Doku, Bernardo? Foden does the job. Julian isn't too shabby as well.

I miss the confidence in Doku, the will to finish and score, the fight, the passionate body language, defensive work rate.
I do see all that in Palmer right now.

@eastmanc
It's a thread about Doku so let's talk about Doku. I accept a fanboy's opinion is different from a scout's analysis looking at both sides of the medal. I belong to the latter. In the same moment I'm fully behind the team, like everyone else. But one thing is for sure as well:

no player is bigger than the club. Not even Kev. Or Pep. CTID.
Talking of comparing 2 wingers, I was suggesting we should consider buying Kudus before we bought Doku. Do you agree he seems to be a winger with more end product than Doku?

Hes fast enough. We know his top speed is not exceptional but he barely uses top speed in his game, its his changing of directions and start-stop quickness that is elite. To say Jeremy Doku is slow is just absurd.
Maybe he was elite in the French farmers league, but in the PL, he doesn't seem like it, in fact, I would say this kid is quite slow.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.