18 | Stefan Ortega - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh cmon, Chelsea barely pressed us and Ortega distribution was perfect, they would have created the same amount with Ederson as a starter. Having Ortega had nothing to do with the other team creating tons of chances. Now suddenly the reason why the opposition doesn't create as much chances as today is thanks to Ederson. Really some people are so delusional with Ederson that he suddenly is the best shotstopper, better than KDB with his passing, his mere presence makes the other team not create chances...

I wasn't even criticizing Ederson, but when people come here and try to say that Ortega's game today was just good and Ederson performance against Brighton, Fulham and Leicester was better...

Then I will say that Dortmund didn't create any chances in Germany because of Ortega. See how ridiculous that assumption is?

Sure, playing a super tired Gundo and Rodri had nothing to do. Playing with Mahrez and Grealish that are not as defensive had nothing to do. Playing with Gomez that is by far our worst defender had nothing to do. Playing against top opposition had nothing to do.

What would Ortega need to do in order to be a starter? Because he cannot possibly have a better match.
The notion that teams set up differently against us because of Eddie has merit but Ortega has the same effect because he also is an exceptional distributor. Teams need to account for this ability equally between the two. However, when Steffen started last year's FA Cup game v Liverpool they blatantly disregarded his ability to play with his feet and hyper pressed us into oblivion. If they tried being that aggressive against Eddie or Ortega we would burn them. So while I believe Eddie does impact the way teams can approach us I also believe Ortega brings that same quality as it relates to playing with his feet. That said, Eddie is the number one but Ortega is an elite shot stopper. Eddie is a great keeper but he's not that. JMO.

The next few league matches are not friendlies or trials so dropping your regular keeper means players will not appreciate the keeper they are used to playing with is absent. His not playiny changes the balance of the team. noticeably. Great bgame by Ortega .but Ederson has done littlle wrong and should be retaines. Good business to capture still.
Eddie has been great for us these past 5 or 6 years but do you honestly believe City's ability to win important matches would be compromised with Ortega in goal? Nonsense!

He will also play FA Cup and only a fool would suggest that the No.1 and No.2 positions are set in stone.

Form will always dictate with Pep because he cares more about the team’s success than anything else.
Exactly. I've had nothing but good things to say about Eddie and what he's meant to the club. How does recognizing Ortega's ability translate to a knock on Ederson? Some fans look at players like it's their children and lose objectivity. Like you, I agree that if Eddie or anyone else would suffer a sustained drop in form Pep would not hesitate to reduce their time and look to other solutions, i.e. Raheem Sterling.

Exactly. I've had nothing but good things to say about Eddie and what he's meant to the club. How does recognizing Ortega's ability translate to a knock on Ederson? Some fans look at players like it's their children and lose objectivity. Like you, I agree that if Eddie or anyone else would suffer a sustained drop in form Pep would not hesitate to reduce their time and look to other solutions, i.e. Raheem Sterling.
Well recognising Ortega’s ability is all well and good and he’s deserving of all the praise he’s receiving but it shouldn’t be at the expense of a keeper who has been integral to our success. If you haven’t read any posts having a few digs at Eddie after last night then you’re not looking hard enough. It’s not treating a player like he’s one of my kids it’s just not being disrespectful to someone who’s an important player for us.
Having a keeper come in and perform well can only be good for the team and if he gets the number one shirt it’s because he deserves it and again, that can only be a positive for us.
The important factor in all of this is I’ve not seen a sustained drop in form from Eddie. He’s been accused of being a crap shot stopper from some for a while so it’s nothing new. Every club should have a second choice keeper good enough to step in and push the number one. We seem to have finally got lucky on that score and I’m made up about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.