19 | Julian Alvarez - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's too good for the bench but we're kind of in a square peg round hole situation with him.

He isn't Haaland and he isn't going to be his back up. So we have to fit him in but so far he's miles off of the Pep style.

Fingers crossed it clicks and Pep clearly sees something to make him think it will.

I don’t get the Alvarez love in.

I think he brings some skills to the table. But I do think he is say, Spurs standard and not our level.

I maintain he won’t be with us in 2 years.

He has to offer more if he is going to be our second striker.
He is much more than he demostrated in City up to now, and I don't think it has anything to do with the position he plays. Here in River he played as a second striker a ton and had great games.

In that position he was a dribbling devil and a had a lot of through balls for us, whereas in City I haven't seen that yet. It's almost as if he's playing it too safe, not wanting to turn the ball over. He doesn't risk going one on one, or trying to thread the needle with a pass that breaks the line. I don't know if it is because of Pep's style of play or because he's not 100% confident yet.

Still, all in all, I think he's doing quite allright for a guy that isn't a certain starter and has only 1 year of experience in European football: he presses like nobody, helps in all the areas of the pitch, links up well with his teammates and has machine-like efficiency with his finishing (outside of the last game, which is the worst game I've ever seen of Julian in front of goal, and I've seen every Julian game as a professional).

He is much more than he demostrated in City up to now, and I don't think it has anything to do with the position he plays. Here in River he played as a second striker a ton and had great games.

In that position he was a dribbling devil and a had a lot of through balls for us, whereas in City I haven't seen that yet. It's almost as if he's playing it too safe, not wanting to turn the ball over. He doesn't risk going one on one, or trying to thread the needle with a pass that breaks the line. I don't know if it is because of Pep's style of play or because he's not 100% confident yet.

Still, all in all, I think he's doing quite allright for a guy that isn't a certain starter and has only 1 year of experience in European football: he presses like nobody, helps in all the areas of the pitch, links up well with his teammates and has machine-like efficiency with his finishing (outside of the last game, which is the worst game I've ever seen of Julian in front of goal, and I've seen every Julian game as a professional).
It was him who made Messi come good in the World Cup - doing the graft so Messi could concentrate on trying to score goals. His industry was second to none in the Argentina team in the latter stages.

I think he brings some skills to the table. But I do think he is say, Spurs standard and not our level.

I’m with you, not sure about him to be fair. Not on the same level as the likes of Tevez and Aguero.

I maintain you know fuck all about football if your questioning Alvarez after 3 games, the guy is a footballer and brings loads to the team.

I maintain you know fuck all about football if your questioning Alvarez after 3 games, the guy is a footballer and brings loads to the team.

“The guy is a footballer and brings loads to the team”. - Superb that, mate.
You clearly know your stuff and have won me round.

Why don’t you read @River Plate message who has put together a constructive reply confirming he hasn’t offered as much as hoped so far but hopefully more to come.

Why don’t you read @River Plate message who has put together a constructive reply confirming he hasn’t offered as much as hoped so far but hopefully more to come.
I read your post as - what does Alvarez bring to the team and he’ll be gone in 2 years, if I read it wrong or you were trying to say something else I apologise.

I think he did at least as much as was hoped (given the circumstances in which he arrived and played), and i am also convinced that he still has a lot more to offer.

He's too good for the bench but we're kind of in a square peg round hole situation with him.

He isn't Haaland and he isn't going to be his back up. So we have to fit him in but so far he's miles off of the Pep style.

Fingers crossed it clicks and Pep clearly sees something to make him think it will.

I'm seeing exactly the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.