19 | Julian Alvarez - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep will always make a team play to his idea for a certain match.

This doesn't translates to that his IDEA and the tasks ask for each player, will suit like a glove the characteristics of the player. Mostly he wins anyway, because he has a full view of what he wants and the strategy to apply, but lots of times he can make Henry to just run to the end of his flank to creat a decoy, yes fecking Henry...

As examples from this last match:

Hallaand, even as big as he is, still loves to play with space, running from the middle and not as a big fella in the box or surrounded by 10. He must develope that game and his heading for the future, but he still is not there and he ain't fond of such scenario.

Phil likes to run at rivals, mostly from the middle, falling to the flanks to find space. But if he ain't on his best day and he doesn't have a Striker as reference closer, or someone like Alvarez to combine, he´ll find it harder.

Alvarez it's not a striker like it's said here, he is a polivalent forward, a second forward that mostly scores quite a lot and knows his way in the area or around it. But he needs to constantly associate and receive the ball a LOT MORE when he runs into space, but this last thing it's not the Pep Ball that many of his palyers are acostume (Bernardo, Walker, etc...sometimes even Foden sob the ball too much). Only Kevin risks it more but he has a tendency to trust a lot more in Erling and using Alvarez as decoy.

Doku is a kid, that right now plays too much with a basket cube over his head and tries the same stuff time and again. He is better suit to use him right now with space to create havoc, if not, when surrounded, he contradicts his best attribute: speed and holds the ball too much, doesn't pass the ball to space and does not combine in a one/two inmediatly if that's what "the play asks"

So combining in a flank a player that has some dribble like Alvarez, buy it's mostly a passer, that likes to run to spaces and combine in one/twos, with a nowadays "I have one idea" Doku, can hurt the game of both. Plus leaving Foden alone in the other flank and Erling surrounded by numbers, it's harder for the characteristics of those players.

Yet we should not forget that Pep has a whole view of this and could have won the match anyway like tons of times, him not playing to some of the best attributes of these players, more than probably play better for the shape he wanted for the team and other attributes of other players, In fact City could have won this game and he really cares very little since day one for the individual status of his players, it's HIS game, HIS idea, HE'll make any lot win a feck lot so follow HIM.

BTW the heavy touch stuff read here regarding Alvarez, it's beyond ridiculous, yes he might loose the ball from time to time, mostly with his back to the rivals net, but not even close to the level it's talked here.

Mostly lately he is too far from the area and since first day running time and again into space not receiving the ball that often and that would hurt his perfomance always and tire him.
One of the few plays Doku and him combine serving Erling in a better way was that almost goal header from the Viking. That is the type of play that suits him like a glove, not just being avaiable to support everyone in the mid/flanks (while pressuring) while tiring himself and not receiving the ball when he decides to burst into the space.

Last edited:
Would like to see him played out wide.

Has the instincts to still be dangerous from an attacking POV but has the industry and stamina to run the lines.

He is just in a rough patch where nothing is working for him, every player goes through them from time to time, regardless of their quality.

I reckon it is likely largely down to having played so much over the last few years. A good rest would likely do him a lot of good and I hope we are able to give that to him.

In 18/19 we flirted with a 3 5 2 for a while at the start of the season. I went to the home opener against Huddersfield and Benjamin Mendy was playing a full on left wing. Aguero and Jesus were up front.

Once things got serious they leaned on the 4 3 3.
July 2017 v. Real Madrid under Pep heading into Centurions season:

3-5-2

Ederson

Kompany Stones Otamendi

Walker KDB Yaya Foden Danilo

G. Jesus Aguero

I don't think Kova is in our best team. The side that started in Copenhagen is in my opinion our best starting eleven and I suspect Pep thinks so as well.
In the case of someone being unavailable he's in our best XI as a midfielder over Alvarez...

BTW the heavy touch stuff read here regarding Alvarez, it's beyind ridiculous, yes he might loose the ball from time to time, mostly with his back to the rivals net, but not even close to the level it's talked here.

Mostly lately he is too far from the area and since first day running time and again into space not receiving the ball that often and that would hurt his perfomance always and tire him.
One of the few plays Doku and him combine serving Erling in a better way was that almost goal header from the Viking. That is the type of play that suits him like a glove, not just being avaiable to support everyone in the mid/flanks (while pressuring), tiring himself and not receiving the ball when he decides to burst into the space.
The way his first touch is talked about on Bluemoon any one would think he had the touch of Georgie Samaras.

He is just in a rough patch where nothing is working for him, every player goes through them from time to time, regardless of their quality.

I reckon it is likely largely down to having played so much over the last few years. A good rest would likely do him a lot of good and I hope we are able to give that to him.
Agreed, he looks tired to me, has for a few games now.

He's a good striker, but his weak first touch isn't suited for our midfield, which deals with constant packed defences and quick pressing, leaving little time to control the ball. He's that easy target to steal from, especially when the ball bounces after his touch!
I don't even see a slither of debate as to why he should be playing in our midfield. It makes zero sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.