2 | Kyle Walker - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn’t exactly cover himself in glory for either of their goals, but they were both class finishes tbf. Needs some time out of the team with the issues in his private life, but with Akanji and Stones injured that’s not been easy as I don’t think Guardiola is convinced by Lewis as a full-back either.
Biggest problem with Kyle’s defending at the moment is he’s letting wingers have too much space, he’s lost confidence up against them. He‘s fine one and one with a ball over top when it’s just raw pace, but if you check his positioning for both goals and any time recently against wingers, he’s far too far away from his man. He got rinsed by Raz away at Chelsea, and there’s been a couple of times recently at the Etihad (can’t remember which goals, although a Palace one I think springs to mind) where it’s in front of us that he allows the cross to come in far too easily as he’s too far away from his man.

I know I’m old fashioned but captain of our football team is a privilege and he should be a role model on and off the pitch as demonstrated wonderfully by Vinnie, Fern, David and Gundo. Kyle is not that no matter how much he wants to be. How can our young supporters look up to him and wear his shirt with pride. it’s probably too late this season but hopefully the players will sort this for next.

he has been a great player for us but I fear his best is behind him unless he can get his mind straight.

He was shit for both of their goals and took Ederson out of the game but produced a much improved performance in the 2nd half. And with the current injuries to Stones and Akanji, Pep won't be dropping him any time soon

I’ve been studying Kyle over the past few weeks and whilst his speed is a tremendous asset, his positioning is becoming more and more concerning. He is regularly out of position and allows quick counter attacks, crosses and free headers or players running onto a shot at the far post. You could blame either him or Ruben today for the Luton goal but the reality is, he’s the captain and should be leading the team. I‘m not saying he should be dropped but he needs to up his game and indeed being dropped to the bench may give him the kick up the backside he needs.
I know the defence has looked shaky as a unit but teams attacking down their left / our right, either directly or switching play are definitely getting success they weren’t getting last year.
Fingers crossed it’s just a blip and he and the team tighten up defensively, lift the Club World Cup in a few weeks and start moving up the table ready for the return of King KDB. ( I know there’s only one King but I’m sensing a huge uplift in performance once the heir apparent returns )
I posted the above on the 10th December, before we knew anything about his ongoing personal issues. It’s none of our business but its certainly plausible that his head hasn’t been 100% on the game, hence the drop off in performance.
I personally think both goals yesterday could have been defended better from Kyle’s perspective, 1st goal he gave too much time/space to Isak and then his body positioning gave an invitation for the far post bending shot. Great finish but preventable.
The second goal was entirely preventable. If he would have closed Gordon down quickly and tried to push him onto his weaker foot, instead of jogging and allowing him to get to the 18 yard box and cutting inside (exactly the same as Isak) we may not have ended up chasing the game.
That said, thought he was better 2nd half, sitting slightly deeper and doing primary role much better (defending).
Hopefully, onwards and upwards now for Kyle, professionally and personally.

I posted the above on the 10th December, before we knew anything about his ongoing personal issues. It’s none of our business but its certainly plausible that his head hasn’t been 100% on the game, hence the drop off in performance.
I personally think both goals yesterday could have been defended better from Kyle’s perspective, 1st goal he gave too much time/space to Isak and then his body positioning gave an invitation for the far post bending shot. Great finish but preventable.
The second goal was entirely preventable. If he would have closed Gordon down quickly and tried to push him onto his weaker foot, instead of jogging and allowing him to get to the 18 yard box and cutting inside (exactly the same as Isak) we may not have ended up chasing the game.
That said, thought he was better 2nd half, sitting slightly deeper and doing primary role much better (defending).
Hopefully, onwards and upwards now for Kyle, professionally and personally.
Yeah, that lax attempt at getting back in for the second goal was awful defending, no excuse really.

Yeah, that lax attempt at getting back in for the second goal was awful defending, no excuse really.
He looks across a Dias as the ball goes through, as for whatever reason, he seems to think he'll be coming across to face up to Gordon. When he realises that it's not happening, he sprints to try and close him down. Calamitous decision making from Walker. He's been a superb player for us, but that was so poor.

Last edited:
He looks across a Dias as the ball goes through, as for whatever reason, he seems to think he'll be coming across to face up to Gordon. When he realises that it's not happening, he sprints to try and close him down. Calamitous decision making from Walker. He's been a superb player for us, bit that was so poor.

Maybe, just maybe, he thought he'd be covered by Dias like the first face up with Isaak, with Gordon on the overlap, leaving Walker with a 2 on 1?

Obviously distracted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.