21 | Sergio Gomez - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some are picking up on his crossing (ignoring all the things he has done well), but that's one area of his game where he has proved himself in the past, even in his handful of appearances for us. Yesterday was his first full match for us in the new system, so I think that might have been the reason for his crossing struggles. He is used to overlapping. For anyone who has ever played football, it's a different ask. Having said that, because of his excellent technical ability, he will adapt, no doubt. I actually think he is very suited to our new system and his role from last night. Hence he was at the heart of our build-up play.

Anyway, it turns out that despite his limited cameos, he even has a youtube video from his time here, enjoy :)

Last edited:
Very similar to early Zinchenko for me. Very good technically needs to improve defensively. Although I’m sure he could work in our current system. If we had Gomez playing in midfield and Walker at right-back

Would you be comfortable if he was selected to play against Arsenal on Wednesday or any of the remaining games?

That is a different matter, it's not relevant to my point that only failing to complete 1 in 10 passes is a very good ratio, especially if the failed passes are in the opponents final third or half. Yesterday he ceratinly made more of his passes in the Sheffield half and some of the occasions where he lost the ball with a "pass" were where he was playing safe and clearing the ball upfield, IIRC he made 2 or 3 over the shoulder type clearances.

I wouldn't want him starting against Arsenaland trying to defend vs Saka because we have better players. I've already said that I have concerns about him defensively but the young man is a midfield player who is learning the full back role. I'll reserve judgment on whether he will make a useful squad member longer term but he is a City player and fan and I will challenge opinons on him that I do not think are valid.

He hasn’t had a great start, wasn’t helped by getting sent off early in the season and also Ake’s superb form, but I thought it was an assured performance after a shaky start yesterday. We need back-up on the left side of defence, defensively he is no more dodgy than Cancelo, but without the attacking threat (so far anyway). It will be interesting to see who Pep picks for the Arsenal game and beyond if Nathan isn’t fit

He hasn’t had a great start, wasn’t helped by getting sent off early in the season and also Ake’s superb form, but I thought it was an assured performance after a shaky start yesterday. We need back-up on the left side of defence, defensively he is no more dodgy than Cancelo, but without the attacking threat (so far anyway). It will be interesting to see who Pep picks for the Arsenal game and beyond if Nathan isn’t fit
Not saying he is Cancelo when going forward, because Cancelo was in the FIFA world's best 11 last year, but in his season at Anderlecht he had some very good attacking stats for a full-back:
39apps6 goals11 assists

He’s brilliant technically, in tight areas. Just poor defensively and even his crossing was shite. Maybe he prefers to be wider and/or play them in at pace rather than clipped from the edge of the box?

Reminds me on Zinchenko and I’d be happy enough if he progresses enough to have that role in the squad to be honest.
Everyones crossing was shite yesterday

His on ball technical ability is so strong that I want to see how he develops in the squad going forward. Defensive recovery and functional play strength are the two things he really needs to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.