23rd September 1989

Jesus what happened to those 32 years, I was a young man of 24 stood on the Kippax with Colin and Tino, what a fucking day.
when Hughes scored everyone was shitting their pants this was another Bournemouth fuck up but Oldfield and Hinchcliffe sealed the deal with half an hour to go.

iconic day, iconic kit. 1, 2, 123, 1234, 5-1!!!!
My 18th birthday that day and yes big 50 today. Couldn’t believe what we were seeing. Big gangs of lads in town after. Walked into a City boys pub near Victoria by mistake thank god then Bolton got off a train at Victoria and kicked off after playing Wolves. Got on the train back to Radcliffe and full of blues and me and my mate filled the carriage up with our rum and black currant puke. What a day.

Brilliant day 'the 5:1' as we still refer to it. Probably still in my top 5 all time City games.
Like most blues at the time was not at all confident, went to the Wimbledon and Brentford defeats in the week leading up to it which didn't bode well!
Remember thinking when it kicked off in the North Stand the game might be abandoned and it would spare us a 'spanking'. LIke many when they made it 3:1was also thinking of Bournemouth (when we spoiled our own promotion party)
Needed have not worried about any of the above though. Fantastic performance that day from the nucleus of the FA Youth Cup Winning team of a few years previously (and in all honesty just about every goal attempt we had went in, I personally think we were better the following season when we totally outplayed them but drew 3:3)
Anyway, going back to the Maine Road massacre, superb atmosphere, and total pandemonium when the goals went in (especially the header from Bish I seem to recall).
Did we make too much of one victory? To a certain extent perhaps we did?(one swallow doesn't make a summer and all that) But, derby victories were a pretty rare occurrence at the time and the fact that the United fans were so bitter and resentful and found it so hard to deal with for some time after that did make it all the sweeter!

Jesus what happened to those 32 years, I was a young man of 24 stood on the Kippax with Colin and Tino, what a fucking day.
when Hughes scored everyone was shitting their pants this was another Bournemouth fuck up but Oldfield and Hinchcliffe sealed the deal with half an hour to go.

It was actually handball by Lakey when the ball hit him in midfield and he raced in to the box for Oldfield to score the fourth.

The ref was on the wrong side of it but I was dead level with it and we got lucky there.

I was still screaming for the final whistle at 5-1.

I went to away game on a coach from Stockport the week before. I can't remember who it was against but someone mentioned Brentford in an earlier post. There was a few days holidays to use up from work so I booked time off for the match.

Anyway a lad on our coach said there would be trouble, he'd heard the Rags had got hold of 200 seats, not sure where from. So I wasn't surprised when it kicked off.
Yeah. Wasn't the rumour at the time that O'Neill got those tickets directly from someone in a senior admin role at City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.